Courtyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courtyard

I was wondering if anyone here has any information on the 4 courtyard divisions in Shaolin? I've seen some videos of the Southern Yard Tong Bi (Nanyuan Tong Bi, right?) and have read that the Southern yard's tong bi was supposed to be very famous.

However I've never heard anything about the other yards. What styles did they specialize in? Were they just highly evolved forms of one of the 10 base hand sets or completely unique sets to that yard?

Also, are any of these forms still taught?

One more thing --- did these yards also specialize in any type of weapon practice?

Thanks for your time.

im interested in the courtyards to. i assume what you think aswell although i doubt all the styles taught in shaolin were passed down accurately through the last century, but maybe i dunno

i know doc knows a bit about this, and lfj apparently, who else..i dunno

ud think if these courtyards were what they are said to be that youd have recordings or something of who trained in what courtyard under whatever teacher, but maybe those types of records are lost i dunno
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I wrote about this a long time ago, sometime in the site.

Can't remember where though.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

as i understand it,

shaolin temple is divided into 4 (north, south, east, west) courtyards, 18 families, 36 households, and 72 groups.

early 20th century monks such as venerable shi henglin, miaoxing, degen, etc. were western courtyard monks.

southern courtyard monks include venerable shi zhenxu (ven. suxi's master) and ven. shi suxi as family head, who's disciples are all southern courtyard monks, including master shi deyang, deqian, dejian, dechao, deru, etc..

if i'm not mistaken, i believe 29th abbot ven. shi xingzheng was northern courtyard, making current abbot yongxin and his disciples belong to northern courtyard as well.

of course, the styles and sets in shaolin are extremely numerous. however, i believe each division shares the same styles, but there are characteristic variations between them.

datongbiquan, for example, is a combination of several core styles of shaolin (discussed in the thread started by maestro). it is designed for its practicality in combat. each division in shaolin has its own stylistically unique form of datongbiquan. southern courtyard datongbiquan is the most traditional in appearance, with simple and direct techniques.

Comment

Interesting thing about XingZhen and YongXin.

Though XingZhen was his teacher and presumably his master, from the many sources I've spoken with, there was no love between the two.

Supposedly, XingZhen eventually hated him.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

probably, though yongxin's history writes up a pretty dramatic deathbed scene where xingzheng hands over his management authority, of course cleverly worded so it sounds as if he was making yongxin abbot, rather than one part of a governing committee.

but generationally speaking at least, they're in the same line there. yanming seems to be as well. xingzheng <-- yongchen <-- yanming.... ?

Comment

Don't add Yanming to that lineage so freely, LOL...

russbo.com

Comment

well, lets not get into that again.

Comment

That would actually explain a lot. Personally I think Yan Ming as part of a decision-making committee in shaolin seems more favorable than what I have heard about yongxin.

Comment

Working...
                  X