Yet another school question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another school question

I know this is a common question. I want to go to china to learn some kung fu. Ive only found a few websites on schools and from the looks of it I would be going on the other side of the world to learn generic kung fu. how many schools are there that accept foreigners that arent advertised. I dont want a school that caters only to foreigners.

as far as shaolin goes, shi deyang is a top traditional monk and is my first recommendation. at his school you'll be thrown in with the other domestic chinese students. no western comforts there, just excellent training in traditional shaolin wushu. also, the classes are divided up so you'll get plenty of attention.

another is shi decheng who is also a top traditional monk. he has a nice clean school made just for foreigners. very comfortable, like not even being in china (which is not necessarily a bad thing). but again, training with him is tops.

then of course shi dejian. not sure how many foreigners have ever been to train there, but its really old style traditional gongfu. quite a bit different from the others (different lineage). but you cant ask for a more authentic monk than him.

you really cant go wrong with these three. when you go to others, especially the less advertised, thats when you start getting into trouble.

stick with those who are well-known and reputable.

Comment

thank you. Ill definately check them out.

Comment

If you need help setting your trip up, let me know.

Another good one is Shi Heng Jun, at Da Fa Wen Si. I'm friends with the coach there, good teacher, awesome location, though a bit harsh to live at.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

fa wang not fa wen

Comment

hey doc, who's teaching at dafawangsi now?

master hengjun is in paris, france.

and his disciple shi miaozhi (previously "shi yongbin" under xinghong, performing in the video library) was in madrid, spain, last i knew.

Comment

Not sure. Hell, at this point, they may have even closed that school; I haven't been there in a while. It never had a lot of students, but it was one hell of a place to live and train.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I really like this one www.shaolinwugulun.org but they make you go vegetarian. I have a super duper fast metabolism. I ate a strict 5k calorie a day diet for a year and got up to 135 lbs. I'm 5'7. I'm afraid if I go vegetarian Ill waste away. any thoughts on this? currently around 115-120 lbs

Comment

I think that their beliefs about gong fu and vegetarianism are a little extreme.

From a medical point of view, you need protein. And having lived in Shaolin for about two years (over a period of time), I'm well aware of the typical Chinese diet there. For me, there was no way in hell I was going to get enough protein with their "vegetarian" diet. I had to have meat.

I think its frightening that people with barely a second grade education can try to enforce rules on students that concern their health. I would stay away from them.

russbo.com

Comment

controlling people? our beloved shaolin masters? do you have to be buddhist, too? or just believe in reincarnation? lol...
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Shi de yang it is then!!!!! I seem to hear only good things about that school. 550 a month though.........how much does the price come down for 6mo to a year?

Comment

i've been lacto-ovo vegetarian for over two years now, and i also have a super high metabolism. but i take plenty of protein powder to china and do alright.

Originally posted by wowguy101 View Post
                        550 a month though
                        where did you get that price?

Comment

i been practicing vege since the summer. i like it alot but i also have a fast metabolism, at first i had to alter my diet because i was getting to gasy, my metabolism was breaking down everything to quick and i wasnt really shitting, but since i added more fiber to my diet i have been shittin very well..infact i think im do, after i polish off these cookies lolo

protein shakes are ok but you need more then just strict protein to substitute for the nutriets u get from meat and other non vege things. multivitamins are good, and theres other things u can do

i just started finding out about vege..never knew what quinoa was, its an interesting little seed.

tofu aint bad either, i kinda like stuff thats tasteless and cut up into little blocks, kinda futuristic prison style lolo
                          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

hei maestro be neither a terrorist or a state terrorist and u will escape jail... most of the times

doc, so u think ur gongfu is higher than the veg ones?

i aint saiing veg is fastest wai to ultimate love and non violence but just like most humans i see the fish swim awai when someone wants to kill it, so i tri to flow with the force of the fish. is it the idea of stream entering in budism?

i like what this shaolin wugulun writes but again i dont sai it is ultimate or fastest wai

Gongfu and VegetarianismAs Shaolin Temple is an ancient Buddhist temple, Shaolin Gongfu and a vegetarian diet have always been part of shaolin culture. In the Ming Dynasty of shaolin's history, the Manchurians were always trying to seize China by force. The imperial government of the Ming Dynasty was corrupt and incompetent in controlling China . At that time there were some scholars who were trying to save their country and wrote books to expound on theories on how to save it, also advocating the practice of martial arts. When the Manchu's invaded China , many people with high ideals and integrity did not want to be slaves without a country, so they fled to the mountains and lived like reclusive; some entered into a religious life. They focused on martial arts intensively in order to get their country back. Many of them had a good foundation of Gongfu and were highly educated, like those Shaolin monks in the past, they brought the folk martial art skills to Shaolin Temple , and they fused together the Shaolin Gongfu with the folk styles. Since then, Shaolin Gongfu has become constantly improved and has developed at a fast pace. Hence Shaolin Gongfu is regarded as the main branch of Chinese Martial Arts in China and the world.

A part from the statement above, Chinese gongfu has improved to the highest level in shaolin temple has another important reason, it's vegetarianism. Shaolin monks in the past were all vegetarian since they practiced Buddhism. They attributed vegetarianism as a mean to take Gongfu training to a higher level.

The traditional gongfu training is about saving and storing energy for every organ. We eat in order to receive energy. Energy in natural food comes from the sun, the air, the water and the earth. By going directly to the earth for our food, we not only conserve energy used for digestion, but also receive a finer energy, which can be used for a higher purpose like Gongfu. The more natural the food the more energy it has. Unfortunately, most of us are in the habit of eating the wrong things for the wrong reasons. It is common sense that our body needs to slow down and waste more energy to digest unnatural food like meat.

In addition, being a vegetarian can aid the practitioner in achieving a better level of constant or staying power while fighting and training. For example, animals like, horses and buffalos are vegetarians; their main diets consist of grass and they have a tremendous amount of endurance and stamina while running, even when encumbered with heavy things. Where as the tiger and leopard are only able maintain short periods of power due to its diet of meat.

From a scientific point of view, when an animal is being killed, the Qi of anger and fear is trapped in the meat; in a state of shock animal cells alter and create poison in the blood. When people eat this meat they bring poison and impurities into their body. For this reason people can easily get sick and loose there temper very quickly; when the mind and the body are in this unbalanced state, people can't continue training on a regular basis.

From the point of view of traditional Shaolin culture, being vegetarian is not only for religion believes, being a vegetarian is very important to maintain a healthy body as well, because vegetarianism is a necessary foundation for attaining a high level of Gongfu training. Without a healthy body you can't improve your gongfu. While vegetarianism also helps to cleanse the body from impurities in the blood, it also makes your Qi placid and helps create a peaceful state of mind. Thus a vegetarian diet is the first requirement for adequate internal training.

Gandhi said: "Vegetarianism has always been based on morals ".

It has been long thought that vegetarianism is also a moral issue. This being vitally important within Martial Arts, due to the fact that practitioners spend their life studying something that in a split second could be used to harm or even kill someone without a second thought. This ability has to be controlled.

The answer, a caring heart for all that is alive around them.

The key to the caring heart is to refuse to kill and eat animals. This means that humanity becomes an important issue in the practitioners' mind and all should be viewed with compassion, understanding and tolerance towards other people. Caring helps to balance and to make the mind healthier where there is no place for wrong doings, such as crime. In sum, to develop a balanced being and to accept good morals towards humanity is extremely important for the Martial Art practitioners.

Thus with a developed sense of morality where there is no place for unkindness of any type, the amount of wrong doings and crimes diminish worldwide. The amount of desire, anger and pain all diminish and finally the practitioner can concentrate in a high level of Gongfu training and eventually succeed in reaching enlightenment. The benefits of vegetarianism can be seen in the intuition ever present in the lives of the most enlightened monks. They can sense movement; they can sense fear and danger before ever seeing or knowing the source of those feelings.

To keep on vegetarian diet also helps enlightenment and therefore it affects wisdom as well. By being more sensitive to the environment and to the making of a healthier body, the potential for achieving awareness increases and with it wisdom is further developed. A smarter person can be more aware of danger and have faster reaction whether in training or whether in a real fight. Awareness of danger and quick reactions are extremely important for those who want to develop a higher level of Gongfu training.

People are worry that vegetarian food can't supply enough nutrition to the body. We have found when eating a balanced vegetarian diet, the body will receive ample nutrition for vitality and health. The master Dejian and his disciples are living proof of this.

In all, it is clear and it has been clearly proven by the enlightened practitioners of Gongfu that vegetarianism is essential for those who are serious about attaining a high level of benefit from Gongfu.

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post

doc, so u think ur gongfu is higher than the veg ones?
                              Never said or implied that. In fact, my gong fu is shit right now, as I've been ill for the past few years with heart and lung problems.

My commentary is strictly a medical one. Young men, such as yourselves, working out in a highly stressful physical activity, need protein for muscle regeneration, healing, and growth.

Tofu just doesn't do it.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X