Aerobic vs Resistance training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerobic vs Resistance training

136 sedentary, abdominally obese older men and women were recruited at Queen's University and randomly assigned to 1 of the following 4 groups for 6 months: resistance exercise, aerobic exercise, resistance and aerobic exercise (combined exercise), or nonexercise control.

Aerobic exercise consisted of treadmill walking. Resistance exercise consisted of weight lifting or manipulation. The combined group did a share of both. The age group was in the 60 to 80 range, but the significance of the findings can be important to a younger population.

* The study population consisted of previously sedentary adults between the ages of 60 and 80 years. Men had a waist circumference of at least 102 cm, and women had a waist circumference of 88 cm or more.

* Individuals with a history of heart disease, stroke, or diabetes were excluded from study participation.

* Participants were randomly assigned to 1 of the following 4 groups: resistance exercise, aerobic exercise, a combination of resistance and aerobic exercise, or a control group. All participants received instructions on following a healthy diet, but they were instructed to continue their average baseline energy consumption.

* Resistance exercise consisted of 20-minute sessions of 9 exercises, performed on 3 days of the week. Aerobic exercise consisted of 30 minutes of moderate-intensity walking on a treadmill 5 times per week. Combined exercise consisted of a 30-minute walk and 1 set of 9 resistance exercises, for a total of 150 minutes of weekly exercise.

* The main outcomes of the study were anthropometric measurements and measurements of fat and muscle mass, insulin resistance and glucose tolerance, and functional limitation and cardiorespiratory fitness. Functional limitation was measured objectively with chair stands, seated arm curls, step testing, and up-and-go testing. Cardiorespiratory fitness was measured on a treadmill, with use of spirometry.

* 136 individuals underwent randomization, and 117 completed the 6-month trial.

* Baseline data were similar between randomized groups. The mean age was 67.7 years, and the mean body mass index was 30.4 kg/m2. The mean waist circumference was 112.7 cm. Nearly all participants were white.

* Cardiorespiratory fitness improved in the aerobic exercise and combined exercise groups but not in the resistance exercise group.

* Insulin resistance improved in the aerobic exercise and combined exercise groups relative to the control group. However, resistance exercise was not effective in improving insulin resistance vs control treatment.

* Functional improvement improved in all 3 active treatment groups vs the control group. Combined exercise was superior to aerobic exercise alone in this outcome, but the aerobic and resistance exercise groups were similar in their improvement in functional improvement.

* Aerobic exercise and combined exercise were associated with reductions in total body fat vs resistance exercise and control treatment. Aerobic and combined exercise also produced superior outcomes in reductions in abdominal and visceral fat.

* Resistance and combined exercise improved skeletal muscle mass vs the aerobic exercise and control groups.

* Both skeletal muscle and total or abdominal fat were related to the degree of functional limitation.

(Medscape)

Conclusions:

Cardiorespiratory health is improved when cardiovascular exercise is included in your exercise program.

Weight lifting does not seem to alter insulin resistance and the possibility of developing diabetes.

Combined weights and aerobics lead to better overall function.

Aerobic exercise seems to be more helpful in losing body fat than just weight lifting alone.

Weight lifting seems to be necessary to increase muscle mass.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Hi Doc,

How have you been? Same old shit on this side of the river.

I was just wondering if you know of any studies on chi gung.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I'm putting together something now. Been thinking about that, and a lot has become clearer for me recently. Soon...
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

doc when we meet we will have to exchange energy so we can elevate each others chi levels and by energy i mean cookie dough lolo YOU BETTER HAVE SOME!!!
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Oh, medical studies. It's not common; doing research on qi gong in the western medical world wouldn't bring much career advancement to those who did it, as it tends to be more in the, well, mystical part of western science. To this date, as far as I've been able to research, there have been no legitimate western medical studies that have definitely proven the stated benefits of TCM from a purely scientific standpoint. (Some TCM techniques are acceptable in western medical practice because of observed associations). But, I keep my eye open.

Maestro, there is always cookie dough out here. But, one has to be worthy, and I doubt the boss is going to deem you valuable enough for her to spend time mixing it. But, we'll see.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
            I'm putting together something now. Been thinking about that, and a lot has become clearer for me recently. Soon...

Awesome,

I look forward to it!
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Industrial cookies...

According to Thich Nhat Han, a leading zen master, eggs from caged chicken brings anger energy. Cf his nice book on anger (a prayer for trees and insects)
              http://www.amazon.com/Anger-Cooling-...5740519&sr=1-2

Dont u think caged chicken suffer?

ok here is a video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGRTuB_G_4"]YouTube - Life in a Nightmare -- Egg Farm[/ame]

I wonder if u really want to reach non violence and freedom, practice chan and learn shaolin gong fu...

Peace and love

Comment

just came across this and i happen to be eating my freshly baked nestle tollhouse cookies. a friend of mine turned me on to being vege, i cut about 80% of the meat out my diet and i do feel much better and am happy to do my part, but ill be damned if i gonna stop eating cookies!!

i dont care if u make them with animal lard or whatever you say, they are delicious!!

everytime u talk to vege they remind u of almost everything is bad to eat except grass and dirt lolo listen, people have needs!!

"be careful your treading on my dreams!"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGN-mRMiqVQ&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Equilibrium [10/11][/ame]
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

what aspect of tmc are we talking about?
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Hey one,

I was talking about chi gung, but im also interested in acupuncture and herbal medicines.

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
                      To this date, as far as I've been able to research, there have been no legitimate western medical studies that have definitely proven the stated benefits of TCM from a purely scientific standpoint. (Some TCM techniques are acceptable in western medical practice because of observed associations).
                      Im guessing that not many studies have been done, due to the fact that no one in the western world, and even few in the eastern world understand the concepts, fully.

Not sure what an observed association is, but is it credible in the world of medical science?

There is no doubt in my mind that Plants and herbs etc. can have an effect on the body and its chemistry. We already have things like aspirin, sudafed and comadine (i know i spelled that horribly wrong) which are derived from plants, why doesnt tcm deserve that much study in the eyes of western medicine, and why is it kept in the realm of mystical pseudo science?

My favorite answer, pharmacorp greed.

Comment

Working...
                      X