question about local (RI) school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about local (RI) school

Hello, this is my first post on the forums.

I'm trying to find out more about a local school. The school website lists Shi Guolin as one of the instructors but his organization does not list the Rhode Island school as an affiliate.

The instructor is Heng Ru and she says that she comes up to Rhode Island during the week and goes back to NYC on the weekends. I'm just trying to figure out if the school is legitimately connected to Shi Guolin's organization. I sent an e-mail to Shi Guolin's organization but I did not get a reply.

I find two quotes from the website entertaining:

The focus of our temple is to conjoin both Shaolin martial arts along with the teachings of Buddhism as demonstrated by the Shaolin Temple in Songshan, China.

The Shaolin Kung fu & Culture Foundation, Inc. strives to fulfill the aims and goals portrayed by Head Abbot Shi Yongxin of Songshan Shaolin Temple.
    Oh,so much could be said...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

the issue is resolved - I'm not going to train at that school.

I never heard back from anyone at Shi Guolin's organization but the RI school is over a year old and if it's not listed as an affiliate by now then I have serious doubts.

fwiw I observed a class there last week and no I talked to had ever met Shi Guolin. it's a shame because I really wanted to learn kanjia quan.

Comment

Well, just because Guolin is not associated with this school, does not mean that it's not a good school.

And just because Guolin is associated with a school, does not mean that it is a good school.

Don't get too overwhelmed with this monk moniker bullshit. Some of these guys have varying degrees of association with Shaolin, and their knowledge reflects that.

What I find interesting is the name of the instructor, Heng Ru. Is that her (or is it his) actual name, is or this an imitation of a monk name (as Heng is a generational denomination...).
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I agree with your point about Shi Guolin. I only bring it up because the RI school website lists him as one of the instructors. So if that isn't true then I don't know what to believe.

No one from his organization has responded to my inquiries but if this school is over a year old (which it is) then it should be listed as an affiliate on his site. It is not.

The woman Heng Ru told me that she has studied modern wushu since she was 4 years old and that she lived in china until 7 years ago. I don't doubt that she has been doing contemporary wushu for a long time. I'm sure she is a decent wushu coach if you are looking for athleticism and basics of modern wushu. I observed a class and she knows what she is doing. But I'm not sure what to think about her traditional background. Maybe I should try to talk to her and get the real story. But the fact that she lists Shi Guolin himself as an instructor for the school makes me suspicious.

Comment

Well, I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

Don't believe what you read on the internet.

Even if it's wikipedia, Fox News, MSNBC, and especially, anything that has "Shaolin" in it's name.

Oh, and "russbo" too. Especially "russbo"...

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
            X