Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to China

Hello.
    For a long time, it was my plan to go to Henan to pratice and study the way of Shaolin on a devotional basis.
    I am 17 years old now and i left highschool last year, so i could earn some money and travel to China to find a suitable school.
    With suitable, I mean a school in the countryside where you get up early in the morning every day and practise and study gong fu, qi gong and buddhism... you know, the classic image people have.
    And just to mention it, I like alot what is written on this page: http://www.shaolins.com

Beyond training wushu in a club, I also intensively study Mandarin Chinese at the moment.
    But now this SARS epidemic has come up out of nowhere. Try to imagine, I left everything i had, my friends at school and so on. All the educational hopes and expectations my family had to me, is gone. I'm a no-body now.
    But i knew this would be the sacrifice i had to make. I knew it was going to be hard to break out the wheel of my society and culture. This is why i have to leave now, and whether i wil be back or not is unpredictable.
    I have everything I need to set out my huge and dangerous journey out in the world.
    Except, suddenly, I can't go because of this lungdisease.
    This was a major blow. If I don't do anything really fast, I dare not think of what will happen to me.

This is why I turn to you for help. It is very sad and frustrating that I can not go to China right now. But I have clinged enough to the hope of China being accible within a short period of time. It's time to face the truth.

I have heard about Shaolin schools/temples in Canada and USA.. even in Hungary. But does any of these have the same dedication to what it's all about? I mean are any of these places non-profit and using 6 hours or more every day for practise (with the same degree of dicipline and dedication as those in China)?

If so, or nearly so, i will go there until the situation in China is better. Because I'm gonna rot away if I continue this lonely, decaying way of life.

I know that all in all, I should try to make the best out where I am now. To do things I normally would not dare, because i fear to look like a fool. To free oneself from unneccesary burdens. A lot of you would probably reply with this blasphemy (no accuse ). And yes, it so true as it can be.
    But it's not going to happen where I am now, because i want to learn some real gong fu, and this is just not possible here! Nothing really happens in the club i am training in, and people in this club are lost in useless habits, and noone have any true ambitions.

It was probably also stupid of me to leave highschool, but I had been seriously dreaming about shaolin since i was 13.
    I love to learn and absorb things very fast. Therefore, is was definately not easy to leave school. I was not able to look anyone in the eyes for several months. Because i know, that noone of this society will understand me.
    I certainly not expect that either.. eventhough to me, it's all very clear: I have figured out what i want to do in my life, and why i must do it, and they haven't. (at least not why)

But all that is a totally different topic.. Maybe I should have posted this in the "Personalities and Community Members"-section
    But, the main question remains:

Are there any schools outside of China in which you think I will fit?
    Last edited by Asger; 05-12-2003, 11:29 AM.

Well, if you want realistic advice, I don't think you're gonna like it too much. Most people who dream about going to Shaolin are generally holding on to an unrealistic (and usually unnecessary) dream. For so many reasons. Moving to China, especially at 17, is incredibly more complex then you imagine. Just go look at the Shaolin survival rules on this site to get an idea of this. The standards of living, the culture shock and the actual gong fu aren't just small considerations. I know you've been dreaming about this for a long time, but I really think it would be beneficial if you stepped back for a moment and looked at it from a purely pragmatic and realistic view. If after alot of research and investigation you still wish to go there then fine, follow your dream. But alot of people unfortunately spend so much of their energy planning and dreaming about something they really want to pursue that they never consider the realism and practicalities of the situation, and then get a big shock when they attempt to start and realise that it was a completely unrealistic goal. A good knowledge of what China and Shaolin is actually like is important before making any decisions on whether to go there. If afterwards you believe you have enough knowledge to make a rational decision, then by all means follow your dreams. But being level headed is important otherwise it just leads to disappointment.

A number of monks might even be of the opinion that the foreign monks' schools are better then China, in a way - what with all the upheavals and wushu there.

But does any of these have the same dedication to what it's all about? I mean are any of these places non-profit and using 6 hours or more every day for practise (with the same degree of discipline and dedication as those in China)?
    Basically, these are Shaolin monks who have started their own schools outside of Shaolin. You would get the same quality of instruction as you would in Henan, though I'm sure the method of teaching differs slightly depending on the monk. If you’d ask me, I think they're a better bet then actually going to China in your situation. Alot more practical.

If so, or nearly so, i will go there until the situation in China is better. Because I'm gonna rot away if I continue this lonely, decaying way of life.
    Boy have I heard this before. Look, I'm getting the idea that the problems you have lie more with you then your surroundings. Moving location or running away is rarely gonna solve any issues you have, even if they actually seem to stem from your surroundings. You seem to have the 'everyone is leading meaningless lives here, I gotta get the hell outta here' problem. Well, it's not as simple as that, these things don't disappear when you move - I can't say for sure since I don't know, but my advice would be to get to the root of your problems rather then trying to move away from them. Think about it. Ask about it if you’re still at a loss.

I love to learn and absorb things very fast
    Well then you're gonna have to chill out with the gong fu. It's a slow process and there's no way around that. Perhaps it'll help you with patience [which is important].

To sum up, as far as learning traditional gong fu goes, you're probably better of learning with one of the foreign monks' schools then in China itself, at least for now.

And check out the archive, there're a few discussions there about this topic.

Peace
    Attached Files

Comment

Nobody...

...has the contextual perspective to be able to answer that question, since none of us know you or your situation.

Many of the monks who have left China have established temples/schools which carry on the traditions of Ch'an and gong fu. I imagine you can train in them all you want, all day every day, if you can afford the time. I mean, you can come at 10AM and leave at 10PM if you want, and train all day in class and out of it. I don't know of any temple here which can offer live in accomodations as of yet, although I know Shi Yan Ming plans to, and I'm sure this thought has crossed a few other people's. The thing I hope you are going to look at is why you want to break out of your culture. I would just like to suggest that you may have been setting yourself up for a rude awakening.

Most temples here in the U.S. will have non profit status- however that doesn't mean they can be free or not charge for instruction, or barter for service. Non profit status does not pay rent, utilities, supplies, maintenance, food, living arrangements, etc....nd neither does sweeping floors.
      "Arhat, I am your father..."
      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Thanks a mighty lot for the reply. I believe this whole issue lies in the conflict between man and his vision of the perfect environment. Because man cannot know what is best for him.
        This is exsactly the same issue with me. I, myself, do not, and will never fully, know what is best for me.

I'm getting the idea that the problems you have lie more with you then your surroundings. Moving location or running away is rarely gonna solve any issues you have, even if they actually seem to stem from your surroundings. You seem to have the 'everyone is leading meaningless lives here, I gotta get the hell outta here' problem. Well, it's not as simple as that, these things don't disappear when you move - I can't say for sure since I don't know, but my advice would be to get to the root of your problems rather then trying to move away from them.
        You are perfectly right. It's the same old story. And you're standing right next to the solution.
        But sometimes you have to go far away, just to realize this. There is much more to a journey than just the distance.
        But I'm sure you are perfectly aware of all this.

And about the "everyone is leading meaningless lives" thing, I know it is nonsense from a fool in grief and confusion. But as of this moment, whether I like it or not, I am that fool.
        I also regret what I said about me having it all figured out. LOL. That is definately not the case. None of us have. So please be patient with me.

Yes yes yes, what you say about the schools make me happy. I thought that i already had managed to get rid of my vision of "the perfect environment" (being the perfect school in this case) but aparantly not.

Please tell me more about some of these schools. I have seeken in the Archive, but i can't really find some raw information on the Schools.
        I'd like very much to study under at least one real Shaolin monk.

Comment

Re: Nobody...

Originally posted by arhat
          I would just like to suggest that you may have been setting yourself up for a rude awakening.

Most temples here in the U.S. will have non profit status- however that doesn't mean they can be free or not charge for instruction, or barter for service. Non profit status does not pay rent, utilities, supplies, maintenance, food, living arrangements, etc....nd neither does sweeping floors.
          If i hadn't set my self up for this awakening, maybe, maybe i would never wake up. And maybe i won't either way.

But of course will it cost something to live at any temple or school, no matter the religious foundation. The students and teachers need food and accomodation, ofcourse.
          But i mean, some schools are run like a business, a firm, with the goal of earning money.
          There is a huge different between non-profit and free (sponsored in other words)
          Last edited by Asger; 05-12-2003, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Shi Yan Ming www.shaolintempleuk.org

Shi Yanzi www.shaolintempleuk.org

Hengxin www.shaolinkungfutrainingcenter.com

Li Peng www.americaneuropeanshaolin.com

Shaolin Chan Wu Xue Yuan www.russbo.com/wuxueyuan/chan_wu_guan.htm

Shi Xing Hao www.houstonshaolin.com

Shi Guolin www.shaolin-overseas.org

Comment

That was exsactly what i needed. Thank you a million times!

Comment

also in houston;

SHI DE SHAN, www.shaolinusa.org

SHI XING YING, 713-272-0276
                life is a cumquat (Maxwell Smart)

Comment

So how many in Houston altogether?

Were they all together at one point and then they ran their own ones seperately?

Comment

4 inall
                    i think they all toured together with the shaolin show before setteling in the us
                    life is a cumquat (Maxwell Smart)

Comment

Woops just noticed; that should read:

Shi Yan Ming www.shaolinwolf.com

Shaolin Kung Fu, Tai Chi and Qi Gong Training with ShiFu Shi Yan Ming

Comment

There's a possibility, due to the SARS epidemic in China, that I'm going to cancel the DocTour to Shaolin. In it's place, Shi Xing Hong might be coming from Hungary to stay with me for a month (August). The current plan is for him to teach at the Chan Wu Xue Yuan here in Vegas for that time period. We'll have seminars and such for people from out of town. It's not definite however; still working out the details.

As for our monks, all visas are on hold due to SARS. Not sure when this will lighten up, but we are on the list to get them. Have to wait for this epidemic to die down first.

As for training in Shaolin, there's tons of information on the site. I suggest going to the Site Map and reading the "suggested readings". You might want to look through the Forum Archive, the Shaolin FAQ, and this forum. However, I don't suggest going there this summer. It's just not a good time to be in Dengfeng.
                        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                        russbo.com

Comment

This temple in hungary has sparked my interest.
                          Since i don't speak hungarian and the website seems to suffer from dead links, i am having a hard time finding out more about it.
                          Are there anyone here having been there or know something about it? Also, how many monks are there at this temple?

I'd like to know as much as possible before contacting them.

Comment

The Hungarian thing is quite interesting. Shi Xing Hong got involved with a gentleman years ago, who's name I cannot remember. He had quite a good school going out there. XingHong went to Hungary (original purpose to get a green card there so he could travel internationally easier) and started teaching there. The school started to expand immensely; right now, if I remember what he told me correctly, there are about twenty schools spread out over Hungary, each with about one hundred students. XingHong obviously does not teach at each one of them, in fact, he spends some of his time with the Hungarian and German police forces, on top of traveling back and forth to China. To get one on one instruction with him is not an easy thing to do; most of the people teaching in Hungary are his students, from what he tells me.

The main camp is quite interesting from what pictures I've seen. I got the impression many of the students live there, or, spend some of their time living there. (I was looking for a vat of Kool Aid in some of the pictures, lol). Quite the place. Now, Xinghong tells me (as of last week) that a few Europeans are going to Hungary to train with him in July. He'll be free after that. If you want to go to Hungary to train with him, then that is probably the time for you to go. He's been on my ass for years to go to Hungary to visit with him; I just have been spending far too much time going back and forth to China.

As for speaking Hungarian, well, it's their language. I'm not sure English is such a hit over there, from my limited contact with the relevant people there. Xinghong does speak English now, and he's getting quite good at it. I can remember when I first started teaching him back in 1997; it was definitely an experience, one which got neither one of us very far. But, it was fun. He learned most of his English from watching television. Imagine that.

Once you get him into your house man, you just can't get him away from the damn tele....LOL
                            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                            russbo.com

Comment

Watching TV...
                              hmmm
                              I've learned many things from watching TV, which in some cases is good, others bad....lol

Asger, make sure you don't limit yourself, looking close to home sometimes is the best way.
                              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                              X