More monks expelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More monks expelled

More monks have been expelled from the temple, according to a Zengzhou newspaper article. (Thanks to Heming for this information, and Uwe for translation). It doesn't mention who was expelled though. Interesting "reasons"..

Four Monks of the 'Shao Lin Temple' were expelled because they broke the rule of the Temple: No one can stay out of the Temple at night.

The Temple also has other rules: You should get an approval if you need to go out of the Temple for three hours. If you've been outside the Temple for 12 hours, you must be under monitor to make sure you don't have SARS.

The Temple has donated 100,000 Chinese Yen to local government earlier this month for protecting SARS. blah, blah, blah

By the way, Uwe added the "blah, blah, blah". LOL.
    Attached Files
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

the word from shi xing hao

doc,

Shi Xing Hao told me about this. From what i understand this is how it happens: if you leave the temple for 3 hours you must let someone know where you are going and when you'll be back. if you stay out longer there must be good reason, and if you stay away longer than 9 hours you aren't allowed to come back. It also has something to do with letting someone higher in command know where/why you are going out, so maybe these few monks didn't let anyone know where they were going. Now i don't know if this means they are expelled for good or they just can't return to Shaolin Temple until the SARS thing has gone away. I would assume that it might be permanent because you are disobeying direct orders from the temple when you leave for such a long time. I could see getting a bit of cabin fever too and just having to get out...........or deliberately leave for 9 hours so you wouldn't have to go back. I guess we really need someone to translate the article. Anyway that is what i remember from my conversation about this subject with Shi Xing Hao.

Hey Doc let me know of any last minute plans to go back to Shaolin late this summer, i am planning on going and staying a few months..................(if this SARS thing dies down).

take care,
    dieter

Comment

That was a translation of that article. Uwe knows Chinese. You can look at this expulsion in a few ways... I won't get into THAT, lol.

There is a possibility that I will return to Shaolin in August. I'm not worried about the SARS stuff, though, I assure you, I don't want to go through that again. But I'm not sure if Shi Xing Hong is coming in August or not; it's a "probable" at this point. I'm also not sure if I'm going to have Decheng's and Xingwei's visas by then either. (If I do, they're coming here, they're "packed" and ready to go, lol). So things are kind of up in the air right now.

I'll have to make that decision when I get there.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

so, you aren't worried about SARS.............cool. Let me know when you go in August and i will go with you! My goal was to train at our teacher's school, but if he ends up here at that point, then maybe i won't stay that long. i definitley want to go back for at least a month. So please let me know. Oh yeah, last time i talked to matt(a few weeks ago) he was thinking of going back too. maybe we can all head out together.............that would be a blast! good luck with the visas and getting XingHong here. I know shifu wants to come visit when someone gets in town..............xinghong, xingwei, or decheng, doesn't matter.

thanks,
        dieter

Comment

I didn't think Matt was "welcome"...

lol

russbo.com

Comment

Shaolin temple sacks four monks for flouting SARS-related rule
            Beijing, May 30: The world famous Shaolin temple of central China's Henan province has dismissed four monks for violating the temple's SARS-related rules, the state media reported today.

The four monks were punished for staying out the whole night without coming back, Xinhua news agency reported.

The temple's decision has been approved by the local administration for religious and ethnic affairs, it said.

In the face of the outbreak and spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, the Shaolin temple had issued regulations to prevent the potentially lethal disease, demanding that all monks must seek permission if they need to go out for more than three hours and they have to be quarantined if they stay out for more than 12 hours.

Anyone who fails to come back before night falls will be expelled, the rule stipulated.

SARS has killed 327 people and infected over 5,200 others in China. Henan province has reported no deaths but has 15 confirmed cases.

Located in Dengfeng county in central China's Henan province, the Shaolin temple was built in the foothills of the sacred Songshan mountain in ad 495 during the northern Wei Dynasty (386-534).

Thirty-two years later, an Indian monk, Bodhi Dharma began to teach in the temple and introduced an Indian form of exercise, which is regarded as the birth of the temple's martial art tradition.

China Daily

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
            X