Shaolin monk lineage names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin monk lineage names

Not sure if I have this on the site anywhere. I'll put it here just for reference.

Shaolin Monk generation names

1. Fu Yu Hui Ju
    2. Hui
    3. Zhi
    4. Zi
    5. Jue
    6. Zi
    7. Ben
    8. Yuan
    9. Ke
    10. Wu
    11. Zhou
    12. Hung
    13. Pu
    14. Guang
    15. Zong
    16. Dao
    17. Qing
    18. Tong
    19. Xuan
    20. Zu
    21. Qing
    22. Jing
    23. Zhen
    24. Ru
    25. Hai
    26. Zan
    27. Ji
    28. Chun
    29. Chen
    30. Su
    31. De
    32. Xing
    33. Yong
    34. Yan
    35. Heng
    36. Miao
    37. Ti
    38. Chang
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

What about 39?

Anyone know what the 39th generation monks will be called?

WushuSpear

Comment

It's supposed to cycle back to the first one, and repeat itself. However, Yong is not supposed to be used by anyone anymore; the names are supposed to skip over that because the abbot's name is Yong Xin.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

39th Generation

Doc,

if you look at the image I recently uploaded, and which is also included in the history manual, you will see that the names are taken from the "Caodong Cave Song". Look at the characters and compare them with your lineage list, and you you will see the continuation.

Uwe
        Last edited by Uwe; 06-13-2003, 01:29 AM.

Comment

the poem...

A Seventy-character Rhyme of Genealogy for the Orthodox Caodong Sect of the Shaolin Buddhist Temple at Mt. Song

Blessed and talented, an intelligent young man will grow into
          awareness;

you are originally in a state of completion and thus apt to understand.

All around in the universe the Buddhist doctrine spreads,

we celebrate that our principle comes from the same ancestry.

The Buddhist state is pure and quiet, vast as the sea;

in the profound silence our chastity and nativeness are enhanced.

Our moral conduct will endure forever;

and our bodies are constantly firm.

The mind is a crystal clear that can light up the depth of the mountains;

and the innate character can make one bright enough

to distinguish nobility from treachery.

Faithfulness, decency and virtuousness will bring happiness and auspiciousness;

We cautiously keep in mind our original course in the crossing.

The snowy courtyard is like a teacher,

that will guide you to return to a bright road.

At least, that is how a UN translation service did it...
          "Arhat, I am your father..."
          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Yes, Arhat sent me this. I was going to put it into the Shaolin monks section of the new site revision, which, hopefully, will be up next week.

Here's the link to Uwe's photo submission: http://x.russbo.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2834

russbo.com

Comment

even though you didn't refer to me properly...

...since you are a super admin I will let it slide- once.

Anyway, interestingly enough, they had some difficulty with some of the characters and their meanings. It took several of their translators and much hemming and hawing to get the thing translated, and even then there were one or two that were just marked 'sorry.'

I should have just asked what's his name.
              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Thanks, I was actually looking for this stuff a few days ago...
                practice wu de

Comment

what about Guo lineage?

What about the name Guo? Its not in the list. Like Shi Guo Song and Guo Lin? Is that from a different sect or something?

Comment

Guo came from a different temple. For example, Guo Lin actually spent a good deal of his time at a temple other than Shaolin. He went to Shaolin at a later date; the duration of his time there is not known to me, but from what I've been told, it was not registered in years. He went to Shaolin and used the name that he was given at the previous temple.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by michabusch
                      What about the name Guo? Its not in the list. Like Shi Guo Song and Guo Lin? Is that from a different sect or something?
                      Also Wan. Wan is Linji.
                      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Originally posted by michabusch
                        At Shaolin temple Gou Lin's generation name was Yan, the same as Yan Ming. Guo Lin's Shaolin temple name is Shi Yan Si. After he went to America and opened he's own temple he changed the name in Shi Guo Lin. About Shi Guo Song i don't know. The monk names are composed from 3 parts: Shi )from Shijiamouni wich is a transliteration from Sakyamuni as in Buddha Sakyamuni), the 2nd part of the name is the generation name and the third part is a individual name usualy chosen by the master.

We can also find the generation names list on my page with pictures for every generation:

Page 1 - the list
                        http://www.shaolinhistory.lx.ro/index_files/Page650.htm

Page 2 - pics
                        http://www.shaolinhistory.lx.ro/index_files/Page626.htm

Page 3 - pics
                        http://www.shaolinhistory.lx.ro/index_files/Page532.htm

Page 4 - pics
                        http://www.shaolinhistory.lx.ro/inde...s/Page1487.htm

It works only with Mozzila and Firefox, the pages doesn't support IE!!

Comment

Guolin spent little time at Shaolin, most of his time was at some other temple, where he had been given his "Guo" name.

He did not choose to change it to the "Guo" lineage when he arrived in New York.

russbo.com

Comment

Yes, but his Shaolin name is Yan Si. I didn't know that he spent time in other temple, probably Guo Song also comes from that temple. Anyway, it is still curious that even if he represents Shaolin Temple in NY he doesn't use his Shaolin lineage name.

Comment

It's not curious at all. His name is his name. From what I've been told, he has spent "limited" time at Shaolin.

Limited. His skills are from another temple.

Why should he use a name that he's only "had" for a few months, at best?

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X