Number One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number One

Just been wondering which of the monks is considerd to be number one?

I know they're humble and wouldn't want to draw this kind of attention to themselves, however some of them did compete prior to becoming monks in sanshou and forms competition so at least some have a competition history, although this doesn't make them the best. Some of the few reknowned monks I know of are:

Shi De Qian- considerd shaolin's most literary (sp?) monk due to writing that volume cataloging shaolin wushu and one on Chinese medicine.

Shi De Yang- shaolin's posterboy. Used in numerous documentaries nationally and internationally from 80's to present day. Excellent leniage and seems to be more focused on the traditional stuff and his skills look amazing.

Shi De Cheng- I know very little apart that he used to coach at the Wushu Guan and is Doc's master.

Shi Xing Hong- nickname 'Tiger of Shaolin', young, extremly talented. Disciple of De Cheng.

Shi Yan Ming- don't know whether to count him. Despite his controveries, rumour is that he still is in top shape.

Please, I don't mean to cause controversy. I'd appreciate debate on these guys and other greats of shaolin.

WushuSpear

Xing Hong is not a disciple of De Cheng. He is a disciple of Su Xi and some one else, whom I can't remember.

Each one of these guys have different skills and knowledge based upon the time spent at the temple, and who their master / school was.

For example, of the above, Decheng, Deyang, Deqian and Xinghong spent most of their young lives in the temple.

Deqian spent a good deal of his adult life in the temple.

Deqian is in his late fifties or early sixties, his gong fu is not going to compare to the others.

Yanming's early history is predominantly wushu oriented, from his childhood spent on the Henan wushu team. His gong fu is going to be more oriented towards contemporary gong fu.

Deyang and Decheng spent their younger years at the temple with the older masters; their gong fu is more traditional oriented.

Xinghong is a younger "more modern" monk; his gong fu is more contemporary and wushu oriented, with some traditional training.

Deqian is purely traditional, because of his age; his upbringing in the temple was from the pre-Cultural Revolution days.

Deqian's knowledge of traditional gong fu compares with Decheng's and Deyang's; Yanming's knowledge of contemporary gong fu and wushu is greater than Decheng's and Deyang's; Xinghong's skills at this point in his life are just incredible, not only because he has incredible natural aptitude, but he's younger than the others. Deqian's knowledge of Shaolin history is incomparable. Deyang's knowledge of Buddhism is far above the others.

So, your question is meaningless, in my opnion. You can't compare any of these guys with each other. Each is number one with respect to his own abilities. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. One thing is certain, however, you're talking about some very incredibly skilled individuals, with respect to their own individual knowledge base.
    doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

hmm

the master id like to talk to is the one who knows nothing
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Re: hmm

Originally posted by Maestro
        the master id like to talk to is the one who knows nothing

Hehe, maybe an excellent enlightnened master, but not a very good teacher =P

Comment

some further details...

...about Shi Yan Ming...according to Shi De Yang...or Shi Su Xi, or was it Shi Yong Chen, damned if I remember after all the pee jeow...and people were laughing about the pranks he used to pull, like digging holes and stuff, and I can't remember if it was mentioned by De Yang at dinner while chomping noodles or by Su Xi during our audience- Yan Ming's specialties lie in the realms of Lohan Chuan, which I found to be very interesting because the only Lohan form I have heard of being taught by him was 'Lohan Duan Da' and he is often evasive about the names of things, and it is rare to see that form displayed. I know he also specialized in some cudgel forms, like fengmogun, and the kwandao which he likes to demostrate. During Buddhism class he always seems to stress the Lohan system, which is expansive to say the least. Forms, each with a group of sets, and each of these with 3 subsets...

I don't know much about the monks' competitive records, but I know many specialize as Doc said and I would imagine these specializations determine who and how they compete.

De Yang has the books, so he really has the goods, and I also know that those books are not for general consumption amongst the monks, you have to really rank to get a crack at them. As far as competition, I know Shi Yan Ming at least competed a few times, which seems to be the way things went with the generations after De and Yong- I haven't heard of a De competing- in fact I can't remember hearing about anyone other than a Yan, in any case from what I know in '85 i think, he won the sparring championship in something called the Xian Nationals in his weight class. Also he won the championship in the annual Shaolin Disciples Competition three years in a row. I don't remember if that was forms as well as sparring or just one or the other. Most of this stuff he doesn't like to talk too much about and if you ask him he just chuckles and gets embarassed.
          "Arhat, I am your father..."
          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

The De levels of monks competed nationally and otherwise. Decheng was China's champion for many years, with the nine section chain whip. He stopped competing after a while, because he got tired of winning. He found more enjoyment teaching. DeYang also competed, though I don't know what he competed in.

Competitions seem to be more important nowadays though.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

what about Yanzi?

Comment

Cassius...

"SHIFU YANZI: In China I went to twelve competitions, some smaller provincial competitions but also eight national competitions and I was the champion every time. I also fought in invitation only international contests twice, and won both. I fought many different types of people. When I went to some competitions other competitors knew me and didn't want to fight, but I didn't mind because we have a saying - "friendship comes first, being a champion second". Everyone wants to be a champion but if it causes arguments, makes enemies, and you want to kill everyone if you lose, this is no good, no-one will want to teach you again. I studied very hard and made rapid progress. After I had been studying for only three months I went to the city competition and became the champion, beating a man who had been studying five years. This is why in the Temple I became famous for my Sanshou."

Although I think he's stopped fighting now, he still seems pretty enthusiastic about competing. He wants his students to rake in all the trophies for the 2008 Olympics, lol. I could be wrong, but I think YanLei still fights; rumour has it that's where he's been disappearing to for the past few months...

Comment

I feel there is a tie for number 1. Between Xinghong and Lipeng. Pound for pound they have the best kung fu I have ever seen. Lipeng traditional stuff is awe inspiring.

Comment

Interesting concept, here, trying to figure out who's number one.

You don't find the monks thinking this way...

russbo.com

Comment

who's number 1? well that depends on who you ask. Also what you mean by no.1....... No1 fighter, no1 taolu performer, no1 weapon player etc etc etc....

I've talked on the subject with several monks (including yanming and guolin) and they gave me the same answer in regarding to who they thought was the 'best'.

So...go and ask for yourself. You'll get the a much accurate answer.

Comment

Arhat: "I haven't heard of a De competing"

Shi De Yu (taught at the wushu guan a while back, dont know if he still does) competed in a few sanda competitions. He was Henan champion for a bit, i think.

Doc: "Interesting concept, here, trying to figure out who's number one.
                        You don't find the monks thinking this way..."

True. Although there is a bit of competitiveness.

Me: "I've talked on the subject with several monks (including yanming and guolin) and they gave me the same answer in regarding to who they thought was the 'best'.
                        So...go and ask for yourself. You'll get the a much accurate answer."

You never get a straight answer from these guys, especially to a direct question, especially about a question like this

Comment

Arhat: "I haven't heard of a De competing"

Decheng and Deyang used to compete; Decheng actually quite a bit. He was nine (?) time China champion with the chain whip, back in the days when he did these things.

russbo.com

Comment

how old is de qian, he have his own school?
                            martial way is mine, death one is yours
                            call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

Shi De Qian is, I think in his late fifties or early sixties. Hard to tell. He has his own school in Dengfeng. He is still authoring books on Shaolin. As for teaching, I think he leaves that to his coaches now.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X