Shaoling Gung Fu of Cleveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaoling Gung Fu of Cleveland

Hey guys, here is the flyer for the local Shaolin school and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this dude.

He was very nice and I am pretty sure I will study there, it's my beginning to Kung Fu.

There are other places around me, but each about 15 minutes further than this place.

Let me know what you guys think, not much information, but I would assume he teaches some Mantis because of that Praying Mantis in the upper corner
    Attached Files

Our first workout was amazing.

I love this school. The only thing I didn't like so much, but really isn't a problem, is that we use Korean phrases and not any form of Chinese.

Oh well

I learned a bit of tiger form after an hour into class and had the work out of my life.

Three hours, three days a week.

Comment

Good luck with it. I don't really like the U.S. olympic wushu team thing, but the guy was on the U.S. Wushu team.......
      practice wu de

Comment

Ben

I wonder if any of these teachers know/knew Bruce Ledger. He was teaching kung fu in the Cleveland area a long time ago when I moved away.

Originally posted by I Attack Bears
        Our first workout was amazing.

I love this school. The only thing I didn't like so much, but really isn't a problem, is that we use Korean phrases and not any form of Chinese.

Oh well
        Kinda unusual. It'll only be a problem if you try talking to someone who only knows the Chinese terms.

I learned a bit of tiger form after an hour into class and had the work out of my life.
        Good for you! Please describe the work out.

What part of Cleveland are you in? I'm in Akron and do a multi style sparring workout every 4-6 weeks. Its karate and TKD people, but only because my buddy who does kung fu is wrapping up his Masters degree and would rather see his wife and daughter than watch me sweat

Can't say I blame him.

Interested?

Mark
        Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

Kinda unusual. It'll only be a problem if you try talking to someone who only knows the Chinese terms.
          Yeah, that's why I've also been keeping up with the Chinese terms, not all of them, but the basics.

Good for you! Please describe the work out.
          Well, we did 20 goes on the cardio glide, 10 kicks with either foot on a dumby (hittign with you heel), then one minute on a punching bag, 10 leg checks with either leg on a log, 30 jumping jacks, 15 cat-like jumps over a pole about 3 feet high, and 20 pushups. Then we repeated once more.

I actually live in Sagamore Hills, so I'm right in between Akron and Cleveland, so going to East 71st and Harvard isn't too bad at all, about fifteen minutes.

I'm no way advaned enough to do any sparring, I'm just beginning martial arts. Besides the fact I am leaving very soon for college, Wittenberg University in Springfield Ohio. I just hope they've got a Kwoon down there as well.

Thanks

I'll ask him about Bruce Ledger tonight

Comment

Originally posted by I Attack Bears
            I'm no way advaned enough to do any sparring, I'm just beginning martial arts.
            I disagree, but sparring is also the wrong word.

IMO, its a good drill for beginners to face an experienced person and practice getting out of the way. Initially, the experienced person is limited to 1 attack and no follow ups. The beginner is supposed to recognize when its coming and avoid it. After the beginner is comfortable with this, they may add 1 counter which the experienced person may block/avoid but not counter attack.

The whole point is to get people used to a dynamic situation, get them over the "OMIGOD someone's coming at me" reaction and get them to realize moving out of the way isn't as hard as they might think.

I've been doing this drill with our beginners for years to ease them into the sparring drill. Everyone gets the hang of it within
            the first 5 minutes or so.

Also, even just watching folks move around and spar can be instructive.

Mark
            Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

Interesting

I've only learned a few methods of avoiding and blocking, but I would be very interested in stopping by seeing what happens at your workouts.

My e-mail is iattackbears@adelphia.net if you could e-mail directions to wherever it is you workout.

I probably won't be able to come for a week though, because I reinjured my toe which had been broken about two weeks ago from hitting and unseen brick and yanking the toe out of place.

Comment

Hey, here's a picture of the place I took today before class. We never had class No one showed up, Tshaka was at a wedding
                Attached Files

Comment

my name is also ben, I also train in shaolin kung fu in cleveland, I train with sifu Irvine at the Wing Lam Kung fu school on 5100 St Claire, our school teaches traditional northern shaolin, seven star mantis, shuai chiao, tai chi, san shou, and sifu will teach hung gar but not until a student is to a point of advancement where sifu feels you can handle and are ready for hung gar training. We attend national and international tournaments every year and sifu offers very hard training to those with the discipline and self motivation to do so. As far as sparring is concerned(as it seems is quite a debated topic in these forums) we have three forms of sparring depending on the individuals point in training, shuai chiao sparring is comparable to judo sparring(grappling throwing etc.), then we have continueous sparring in sorta like rounds but basicly until you are told to stop, and there is san shou sparring which is with protective gear but full contact, throwing etc. Sifu Irvine is very qualified(27 years of teaching experience and has been studying under various kung fu and shuai chaio masters since very young, he is a very kind and open minded instructor, the training is hard but there is a friendly atmosphere and I urge anyone interested to visit our school, if ya do you'll probly see me because I hardly leave if I'm not working, hope I hear some replies,
                  ben

Comment

Glad to see you find a sifu you enjoy.
                    How far in your BSL training are you?
                    practice wu de

Comment

Hey guys. I'm really enjoying my training. I was there for four hours last night, going through my forms, tamp te's (spelling?), and stances; then we did some Aikido type stuff;and finished with some star throwing.

I'm having a great time and I feel I will be very prepared for when I leave.

Oh yeah! We're going to be doing a demonstration July 20th at the Science Center by the Browns Stadium. It should be cool, I think I'll do what I know of Tiger Form and my tamp tes, plus we all do this one form, looks a lot like Tiger. We're looking pretty good, so I suggest everyone than can come, come.

My friend Tom Dowd, more of a school mate, trains there too. . . I think. He does Angry Monkey I believe. My friend Pat Gardner, that studies in North Olmsted somewhere is coming to visit my school soon.

There sure are a lot of options for someone interested in Kung Fu! WOO!

Amitabha,
                      Other Ben

Comment

Tan tui.....
                        It means spring legs.
                        Great for working basics and stances.
                        practice wu de

Comment

s

it's a amazing,did anyone study here yet

Comment

Not to sound like a snob BUT, his lowstance/pubu on the flyer is incorrect. Feet should be parrallel. His back foot should NOT be pointing back and his front foot should Not be pointing forward. It bothers me when people put themselves out there as Sifu and then have these flaws. This is basic kungfu. If you pushed him from the front he would fall on his butt. I bet he does horse stance really low with his toes pointed out. Again feet should be paralell. Otherwise a light push from the front will put him down.

I haven't seen his movements but these basic errors will be that much harder to fix down the road.

Comment

Good luck. It seems interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X