going to china in 2 weeks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to china in 2 weeks!

Well, I just saw the disclaimer about posting a message under this thread before sending an email. Immediately following the email.

Anyway, I'm going to china in 2-3 weeks. Can't say exactly when because I'm going through a lot of hassle right now about my russian visa (oh yah, I'm in russia right now by the way).

I asked many questions about the northern shaolin martial arts academy. Which you answered very satisfactorily (in your particular fashion )

Now, I still believe that the Northern Shaolin Martial arts academy is probably a very good school, however I think that training with your master would probably be even better. You mentioned that I could do this for something in the order of 25 dollars a day. I intend to make my way to china via the trans Siberian railway. Anyway what would the next step for me to take be?

Also I understand that you are trying to bring some persons to America in August, as that will be one of the two months I would be there would that change your recommendation at all about which school?

The people I am most interested in training under are of course people like Shi De Qian, Shi De Cheng, or Shi De Yang which have an almost legendary status in my eyes. In fact the reason I became interested in the northern shaolin academy is because of their (supposed)association with Shi De Qian.

thanks in advance,

Important point. There was just a post up saying they're quarantining visitors to Shaolin. Is now gonna be a good time to go? Doc's keeping us posted.

Comment

In fact the reason I became interested in the northern shaolin academy is because of their (supposed)association with Shi De Qian.
      I have a strong association with Shi De Cheng. In fact, I'd bet, stronger than what DeQian has with those guys. You still would be better off training with Shi De Cheng than you would with me.

However, you certainly would have a lot more fun with the russbo whores in Vegas....

As far as De Cheng's school, just show up. I'll take care of it. And, if this quarantine nonsense is just nonsense, you might even see the great bald one there.

Have fun on your train ride. Take plenty of pictures, we'd love to see them. Stay in touch directly with me by email; I'll get you there. No problem. And watch the SARS thread in the Travel Alert section http://x.russbo.com:16080/vb/showthr...=&threadid=198
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Well if this quarantine thing is not nonsense I suppose I might end up going to the northern shaolin school anyway. If I can't make it to shaolin than I can't. But I'll definitly try. It's not that I'm not taking this SARS thing seriously. I think it would really really really suck to get it. But based on the information I've seen about the illness I would make it through(I'm the picture of health). Honestly, I doubt it would be worse than when I had malaria in India.

As it is now I will probably be coming through mongolia, and might not take the trans siberian train the whole way(due to this nonsense with my visa I might have to get out of russia in a hurry once they give me my passport back). In which case I'd fly to Irkusk, and take the train down through mongolia. Probably stay there for a week or so(if you get suck going through mongolia, you might as well see some of it). Which would put my training starting in mid july.

I'll be taking plenty of pictures.

Comment

Book by DeQian

I heard it mentioned somewhere on this site you took a look at the book by Deqian which basically chroniciled all of Shaolin kungfu, which is supposed to be an exact copy of the information that was destroyed in the fire durning the revolution(more or less).

Is it possible to buy this book while I am there? I'm studying mandarin so in time I might be able to actually read it. If I could buy this book or somehow aquire it that would be.... awesome.

Comment

We might be selling it on the site soon. I'm not sure if it's coming in the latest shipment or not. Also, you can get it directly from Shi De Qian in Shaolin. Might be hard to find in the local stores in Shaolin, as a lot of the stores have closed, and many have not reopened in Dengfeng yet.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

do you happen to know what trains run to/near shaolin from shanghai or beijing. Finding this information online seems all but impossible. For some odd reason it's all in CHINESE!@.

Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out when I get there.

Comment

You want to take the train from Beijing to Zengzhou. It leaves at around 10PM if I remember correctly. Once you arrive in Zengzhou, since you're a "white" guy, youi'll be assaulted by taxi cab drivers. Hundreds of them. All wanting to take you to Shaolin.

Go to Dengfeng, the Feng Yuan Hotel. Your cab fare should not be more than 250 Yuan. If the Feng Yuan is too expensive for your tastes, you can go directly to De Cheng's school; he should have room there for you. I've already notified him.

russbo.com

Comment

Change of plan. Won't be going to shanghai. I'm taking the trans-siberian railway to Beijing as previously planned. Don't entirely have my visa mess straightened out with russia, but I'm betting on being able to talk my way and or bribe my way out of russia. My train leaves here on friday, and arrives in beijing the following friday. I've gotten ahold of the train schedules in china translated into english.

Might spend a few days in beijing, but I doubt it. I want to get a new visa to russia for september so I can catch my flight from moscow back to the states in september. I'm hoping I can do that on the day I arrive in beijing at the russian embassy, and catch the night train toward shaolin.

Might pop for one night at the hotel before going to the school. I imagine after spending more than a week on a train any hotel will seem luxurious.

are there any ATMs that work in dengfeng? Or should I plan on bringing a wad of cash with me

Comment

Yes, there is an ATM that accepts US ATM cards, at the Bank of China, not only in Beijing, but in Dengfeng too. Don't bother with any of the other banks, at this point, they don't work with international ATM cards. In Dengfeng, the main Bank of China branch has an ATM machine outside.

One week on a train through Siberia. Wow. Did you bring a honey to keep you warm at night, or are you going to find one on the way? Some fat Russian chick that can drink you under the table perhaps? Should be interesting. You've got to take photos for us man. Most of us will never ever get to that part of the world. You can either upload them directly into the Photo Library, or bulk FTP them to the server and I'll get them in.

You're all set to train at Decheng's school, though he won't be there for the month of July. There will be coaches available. I might be able to get Shi Xing Wei to teach you. Working on that.

Have a safe trip over. Be careful.

doc

russbo.com

Comment

I'll upload some photos. However I won't be able to until I get back to America and have a scanner.

There are supposed to be some great views from the train, but mostly it is just endless pine forest. I'll have a few hours here and there to get off and have a look about.

No honey. I'll be leaving her in Moscow. I expect to read and sleep a lot.

If Shi Xing Wei could teach me that would be awesome.

Comment

I thought I'd mention I'm in Beijing. Got in at 5 this morning, going to Deng Feng tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                        X