What's in a name, just curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in a name, just curious

Am I right in thinking that the name given to the monks by their master relates to a charcteristic that theeir master sees in them?
    If so, does anyone know the meaning (or nearest translation) of the names of any monks?
    Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

There are some randomly around the site, I can't find them now, there is also some bios of some of the monks too... can't find that either right now, have to get my bearings in the new site....
    practice wu de

Comment

Am I right in thinking that the name given to the monks by their master relates to a charcteristic that theeir master sees in them?
      Yes.
      Shi Xing Hong's name, (hong) means grand. Hong means grand.
      The name I was given, Shi Xing Heng, stands for "persistant, powerful, eternal", derived from the meaning of the word 'heng", which stands for "mountain". (I hadn't showered for a few days before I took my vows, you can take that as you please...)
      Gene Ching's given name, Shi Xing Long, stands for "dragon" (and not what you might think it means), meaning fast. Long is actually a much desired name, because the dragon is a much desired and respected beast. (And here all this time you thought I was THE much desired and respected beast around here...).
      The "Xing" is the generation denomination. Look in the forum for "monk generation names", it's in here, somewhere.

So, basically, the third part of the name is a descriptive name given by one's master, based upon the disciple's characteristics.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

variation...

...in our case, our disciple names were chosen from the Heart Sutra- each disciple was given the consecutive word from the sutra, much like the generational names come from the poem in succession.

I got 'Fa,' which means dharma.

I try and pronounce it like, 'Faaaaaahr,' for obvious reasons.

I have the old skool characters for the name somewhere around here.
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Can you stick them up Arhat?

Comment

yeah...

...I just gotta scan them in and fix them, they're on a journal book he gave me so they're a little faded.
            "Arhat, I am your father..."
            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Shi Heng Yi

Someone once told me that Shi Yan ming means something like perpetual brilliance or sun and moon....I'm not totally sure. My brother is Heng Fa and I am Heng Yi. Yi means "one". Someone told me that Heng means "determined" or something like that....there seemed to be some confusion about the translation.

My brothers name always makes me think of this time my brother and I were walking across this bridge....

My brother and I were on this high suspension bridge and we were walking across it. At about the middle and the highest point on the bridge my brother turns to me and says, "man, I really have to take a leak!" I was also hearing the call so we unzip and are leaning over the side of the bridge when my brother turns to me and says, " wow, the waters cold!" I said, "yeah and its deep too!"

Comment

Wow, I was wondering about the same thing.

Thanks for the answers. You guys sure are knowledgeable

I wonder what I would be?

Doesn't the same thing go for forms? Like whatever form your master wants you to really work on is based upon you as a person, your body type and all about you. I was given tiger form? Anything?

I'm very calm and pretty quiet, but I can be very loud and excited around the right people. In Kung Fu I'm always even faced. . . is wondering about that too, because my friend does Hung Gar, and his face is sooooo intense, should I be showing that much expression.

I feel that I should be even and still, emotionless.

Comment

"Ming" with the proper tone, can mean "smart". And that's my limit of Mandarin knowledge...
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                  russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                  X