Applications of Shao Hong Chuan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applications of Shao Hong Chuan

Just a small curiosity. We're encouraged to work out applications as we go along. And yeah, as you said, once you do them ten thousand times you'll get them, but I'd just like a pointer or two, if you can. Two things stump me in Shao hong chuan. What is the possible application of the first move when one hand goes behind the butt and one up in the air? And also the bit where one arm goes horizontally across the chest and the other goes vertically on top of it in front of the face?

Can you say or is it for me to work out?

In the first move, the left hand does not go behind the but; it actually lies on the left side of the body, palm down, as in a block. The right hand, which starts palm up in front of the chest, procedes upward to go over the head, rotating 180 degrees to a palm up position again. That, in effect, is a strike upwards. It can also be looked at in another way. Remember, the two hands start in front of the chest, both palms up; then one strikes downward, one strikes upward. It can also be seen as a catch for a side kick, or a kicking leg, in other words, if the left lower hand catches the lower part of the foot (or part of the leg), and the upper hand grabs an upper part of the foot, when one moves the hands in their predetermined directions, they can either twist the foot, causing the opponent to lose balance and fall to the ground, or twist the leg, all depending upon what you grabbed. So, they can be strikes and blocks (or both simultaneously), or a catch and a throw.

The second maneuver you refer to is sort of near the end of the first small part. There is a stomp and an upward striking fist of the right hand, with the left fist over the chest. The stomp is obvious, as is the upward striking right fist. But, remember what comes before that, a circular right kick as you twist counterclockwise. That kick is to an opponents head, or outstretched arm/hand. If you imagine, during that maneuver, that your left hand grabs an opponents arm (as you kicked his head, which is a common maneuver, such as in Li He Jiou), holding onto his outstretched arm as you twist (preferably his left arm), you end up with your opponent's left wrist in your left hand, his left arm, elbow down. The up coming right strike can be used to punch the opponent's left elbow, to break it. Or, your right upper arm can be used to do the same thing. Remember what comes next, now, which makes this really interesting. You continue to twist around, counterclockwise, into Xiezi bai wei. If you still have his left wrist in your left hand as you twist around, you can see who Xiezi bai wei turns into a throw.

Now, if you had done this ten thousand times, like I will never ever do, you would have known this. LOL.
    doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Great description of applications doc....

multiples, I've always been in awe of the # of apps for some moves...
    practice wu de

Comment

Working...
    X