• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qi gong

hi there
    could somebody tell me what is the feeling that you sense that
    your breathe reached the dantien field?
    and how can i lead the breathe to the dantien?

hope replying soon

Ok, so this is a bit tricky, you cant just immediatly start leading qi into the lower dan tien. First things first, you need to teach yourself how to breathe all over again.

Start now, relax, breath normally, and notice everything in your body that moves as you inhale and exhale.
    If you're like most people, you will notice your chest rising and falling as you breath. Now, try to consciously use your abdominal muscles to move your diaphram and not your chest muscles, this is the begining of abdominal breathing.

As you inhale, you lower abdomen, from the navel down to the pubic symphisis (the part of the pelvic girdle of bone just above your genitalia) should expand. As you exhale, this same area should contract. There should be very little or no movement in the muscles of you chest as you breath like this. When you first start out you will need to consciously expand and contract the abdominal muscles in order to do this. However, do not tense the muscles overly so, you want to stay relaxed. Tension can cause blockages in the qi flow which could cause internal organ damage.

So, once you can breath like this you want to practice abdominal breathing for 10 minutes per day, 5-7 days a week. After the first month it should become more and more natural, and after about a year it may even become your normal subconscious method of breathing.

When you reach that stage, and abdominal breathing is how you breathe unconsciously, then you can lead qi to the dan tien with every breath. In fact, by that point, you will have already been doing so for a while. I hope that helps. Remember, relaxed breathing is the key. If you need more information about abdominal breathing and how important it is to qigong, meditation, and gongfu (also called Fa Tua, or back to childhood breathing) read The Root of Chinese Qigong by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, its an excellent book. Or just ask me. I changed my subconscious breathing pattern to abdominal breathing about a year and a half ago, and the benefits for meditation and gongfu have been amazing.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

One more thing, when you're practicing this type of breathing ALWAYS keep the mouth closed, breath through your nose, and keep the tip of your tongue touching the roof of the mouth.

Comment

qi

thanks for your reply
        could you tell me what is the feeling of the qi when it flows in body?
        did it take too long time to get this feeling?
        is there any other exercises to increase my sensation to qi flow?
        hope replying soon

Comment

just relax and keep training... dont think about things too much and just become healthier
          things develop and happen in their own time.

dave
          simple and natural is my method,
          true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

ive found that if you worry about things too much, and worry about what you "should" be feeling (everyone is different), instead of what you ARE feeling, then it makes you unable to relax properly.

Everyone is different, some may feel something, others never will. It doesnt mean that your qigong isnt "working"... the main thing is to develop your heath and potential.

Also if you have a teacher, then ask them and follow what they say

dave

Comment

Amen Dave, you've hit the nail on the head. As Dr. YJM wrote, "Expectation is the worst emotional disturbance."

Don't try to quantify your qigong practice by what you think you should be experiencing, just relax and let your body balance itself out, and quiet your mind. If your can relax your mind and eliminate (for the most part, very few people can completely turn off conscious thought) conscious thought then you will feel the energy flowing in your body. Its that simple. If your mind does wander off and you catch yourself thinking about something while your practicing qigong or meditation, simply stop that thought process and center yourself. What helps me is to concentrate on the upper dan tien (the center of the forehead) as I inhale and then concentrate upon the lower dan tien (lower abdomen) as you exhale. Once i've done this for 3 cycles of breath I'm usually fairly centered once again.

Another thing you should keep in mind is that, if you focus your mind on a place within your body, the Qi will follow your mental focus. This can be both detrimental or useful depending on how you use it. If you focus too much on one place in your body you may cause the Qi to stagnate there. Also, you dont want to try to push the Qi when circulating it. Simply remember that if you focus on a point, the qi will go there.

Therefore, if you choose to practice something like small circulation meditation (where Qi is led up the Du Mai or governing vessel which runs from the perineum along the dorsal exterior edge of the spine up into the skull and down to the roof of the mouth and then into the Ren Mai or directing vessel which runs from the tongue down the front central part of the body back to the perineal arch between the genitals and the anus, and thats just for fire path small circulation) but the point is for this great circular movement of Qi through your body you only need to focus your mind on two points in that orbit.

When i practice fire path small circulation I simply focus on the Baihui cavity (located at the crown of the head where the coronal and sagital sutures of the skull intersect) as I inhale, and thus Qi is led from the perineum up the Du Mai to the top of my head. When I exhale I focus upon the Huiyin cavity (located midway on the perineal arch between the genitals and the anus) and the Qi travels from the top of the head down to the roof of the mouth, through the tongue (which should be touching the roof of the mouth thus completing the electrical circuit) and then down the Ren Mai to the Huiyin cavity.

I hope this helps, and if its just confused you a bit more, dont worry about it. Just find a really good sifu to learn from. After all the most knowledgeable people on this forum (as far as i know) are all just students anyway. Find a good sifu and learn everything you can from him/her.

Comment

hehe

when doing a meditation, being able to relax and quieten yourself can be the hardest part. Some people use different methods... a good one is "using one thought to stop 1000 thoughts". ie. focus on 1 thing, such as counting your breath or something else. For me though, although it takes much longer to do, i just let my thoughts come and go naturally, i dont force anything at all and just try to relax. Sometimes it can take a very long time to slow your mind down, but i find it very beneficial

The main thing is that there are many different methods of developing skill, daodejing and myself do different systems so our advice is just from our own experience. The best thing to do is find a teacher and just follow his/her as other systems do things a bit differently. Trying to mix and match can be detrimental and confusing.

dave

Comment

Working...
                X