Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sword

Anyone know the name of the slightly larger then normal broadsword with rings in the back? How many traditional forms are there containing it? And what is the purpose of the rings?

hey mate,

theres different types of swords... the standard broadsword is just called Dao... you also have things like Pu Dao and others...

is it something like this?

why dont you just ask your shifu

dave
    simple and natural is my method,
    true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

oh and by the way - if u wanna see some good movie action using that kinda sword in the pic, look for "the Blade" starring Cheu Man Cheuk - amazing movie

dave

Comment

Yah, that's the one...

Well, he's a busy guy so I prefer asking him more significant questions when I can get hold of him...

Comment

I beleive its just called a Nine Ring Broadsword. So in mandarin the term would be whatever the words for nine and ring are, followed by Dao.

I have no idea how many traditional forms use this weapon.

As for the purpose of the rings........ They only practicable purpose I can imagine that they might have is if they are used to trap an opponents weapon. And even that would only work against an opponent using a pole, spear, or jian (double edged straight sword). I think they make a pretty noise, but there must be some functional reason why they are there. If you use such a weapon to parry a strike from an opponent wielding a sword, whether dao or jian, and if you parry with the flat of the blade while turning the rings into it, you could probably do some significant damage to the edge of your opponents sword........ thats all i can think of. Frankly I was never a fan of the nine ring broadsword. Too damn heavy.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

for the life of me i cant remember the name of it in chinese... im pissed off now
            i think its pretty much a northern weapon though...

dave

Comment

Rick might have the name of it in the docstore, if we have one. As for uses of the rings, other than being annoying, I don't know. If I remember (which is doubtful, lol), I'll investigate during my next trip to the temple. Should be there in a few weeks.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Rings

Doc,

the Rings have 2 main uses:

1) to deflect or trap weapons, such as the thin Tai Chi sword

2) to do some shredding when you cut an opponents. A clean cut is easy to stitch up but when the rings start shredding the human body... You know what I mean.

Uwe

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking the fight's gonna be pretty much over if you manage to sink the blade as far as the rings. And I imagine it would be pretty difficult to trap a fast taichi sword in those rings...

Comment

KAAAAAAAAAAAAA

crouching tiger man..crouching tiger...........
                    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Sword

Originally posted by Lipster001
                      Thanks guys.

I'm thinking the fight's gonna be pretty much over if you manage to sink the blade as far as the rings. And I imagine it would be pretty difficult to trap a fast taichi sword in those rings...
                      Lipster,

not really if you bear in mind that the rings used to be a bit larger before. I actually practice this with some tai chi guys, and I regularly trap their swords. I personally prefer the 3 ring sword, and the one I have was made almost 25 years ago. That puppy is fun to work with.

Uwe

Comment

the rings also have a phsycological effect on human (because of the noise)...just like the chain whip, u never heard a chain whip in action...? lol
                        martial way is mine, death one is yours
                        call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

Working...
                        X