Yang Jwing Ming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yang Jwing Ming

So I found out yesterday afternoon that Dr. Yang Jwing Ming was in westerly, rhode island this weekend for a two day clinic. Needless to say I spent all day today training with him and the ten other students in the clinic. We trained taiji push hands, taiji sabre, taiji sword, and applications of all of the above.

That guy is fricking amazing. If any of you ever get the chance to take classes at his school in boston, or any of the branch schools (apparently they even have one in italy now) I highly reccomend it.

Hey maestro did you know there's a YMAA branch school in Westerly rhode island? They teach taiji and shaolin gongfu. You might want to look into it if you're gonna be in the area for awhile.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

shameless plug

Dr. Yang wears feiyue shoes. Go buy em from docstore

Comment

Yes, but he doesn't buy them from the docstore. Shame on him, lol.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

how much were the seminars?
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I have books and vids of some of his stuff, most of it is really good.
          practice wu de

Comment

The clinic was not cheap. $120 a head. But it was well worth it. We covered a rediculous amount of taiji pushhands stuff, more than most people successfully teach in 2 months.

Comment

Sounds good, we're going to have a push hands seminar here from Chris Luth and some others in the fall, and a chi na seminar soon too (can't remember who is giving that)....
              practice wu de

Comment

How many hours did you cover in a day?

Comment

We trained from 9 am to noon, had a two hour lunch break/meditation/nap time, and then from 2 pm to 5 pm. I was only able to attend the second day (sunday) of the two day clinic. I think the price was different if you were there for the whole weekend, probably around $200 per person.

But on the bright side, I only payed $10 for a copy of one of the earlier print runs (same book, in hardcover, with a less colorful cover than the one you can buy from his site now. I beleive the current edition runs $20-$30) of one of Dr. Yangs books, Advanced Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan volume one Tai Chi Theory and Tai Chi Jing and got it autographed while I was there. It's an incredible book, simply because noone I've ever heard of in this country teaches Tai Chi Jing besides YMAA, and most people who teach taijiquan in this country never even learned the stuff themselves. And to top it off I think that's the lowest price i've ever payed for a hardcover text book in my life.

He's a really nice down to earth guy for someone whose so famous in the martial arts community. Apparently his daughter is considering going to the same school of oriental medicine that I'm attending this fall. So I might run into her in the fall of 2004, and she's cute too. Small world, eh?

Comment

Sounds nice shaolinstylee, you're gonna have a lot of fun. I love practicing pushhands drills with people who can soften up into it. Its like aikido, you just sort of feel your energy and your partners energy harmonizing. Not to mention it being great excercise for your legs. By the end of the day we had basically spent an hour in each of the three basic stances, and for me at least, my calves were shaking by noon. (we did pushands all morning and sabre/sword in the afternoon) That just means I need to train stances more I suppose. Silly me, before this weekend I thought I was doing good because I could hold a horse stance for twenty minutes without straining anything.

Comment

yang

hmmm..ive been absent from russbo for a bit missed this thread..

umm whats YMAA?

and im gonna be in this area oh..i dunno till like october or november, then im movin up to boston to train with vincent chu

and what makes dr yang so crazy? howd he impress you and such?
                      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

YMAA= Yang's Martial Arts Association, thats the name of the network of schools he's founded with the main one being in Boston, in jamaica plain. Its also the name of the publication company he runs to publish his books and videos now (he used to go through other publishers, but after writing/teaching for more than 20 years, he's not exactly poor and now he's got his own publication center).

As for how he impressed me, didnt take much. I've read alot of his books and they're very very thorough and informative. Probably the best martial arts and qigong text books I've ever studied, as far as english language books go. But he's just a really nice, knowledgable, down to earth kind of guy when you meet him. Which is always refreshing. And honest too, he told us while laughing that our broadsword forms were quite ugly. I think the thing which really impressed me about him is his approach to teaching taiji. He starts by teaching students how to breath, then teaching philosophy, qigong, meditation, and only after all that has been covered will he start with the taiji form. Of course, in the clinic I attended we were assumed to have gone through all that already and so we went straight into some really interesting pushhands drills, and an invaluable excercise I've never seen anyone else teach where you simply hold one hand on the lower dan tien and draw the taiji symbol (the yinyang double fish thingy) in the air until you can obtain fluid motion derived from turning the waist without shifting your wieght. Its a lovely excercise simply because it incorporates all the 8 basic movements, rollback, wardoff, etc.

But hey, if you're going to be in Boston at the end of the fall you should look into taking a class or two at his school. He's an excellent teacher for taijiquan and I've heard good things about his shaolin white crane and qigong classes. And of course they also teach weapons, and chin na, and well you get the picture.

Comment

Working...
                        X