A new martial arts ranking system in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new martial arts ranking system in China

It appears, that about three years ago, sometime in 2000, the Chinese government came up with a new ranking system for Chinese martial artists, in the system of "Wushu". There are nine levels, called "duan"s" (or, the English translation, "dan", same as the Japanese denominations). All students, practitioners, and monks were given the opportunity to test for various levels. For example, my qi gong master, Shi De Hong, attained 6th dan; Shi Xing Wei attained 5th dan. As expected, Shi De Cheng did not bother applying for this new ranking system (he's a traditionalist at heart).

There are no belts associated with this new ranking system, only certificates from what I can tell. It's interesting that China now adopts a ranking system similar to the long held system in Japan and Okinawa. It goes hand in hand with the Chinese governments moves over the past decade to formalize wushu in their country.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Yeah, I read about this a while back in Kung Fu Qigong. Very few got ranked 9th duan or whatever.
    practice wu de

Comment

Raaaaa...belts, I HATE belts, or at least what it represent: stupidity
      martial way is mine, death one is yours
      call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

I live the way of traditional iron palm kung fu and in our system we have no belts as well this style is southern, however one of the problem I have run into within the last 21 years is the history os all of the forms, is this the case with any of you as well
        Attached Files

Comment

A similar ranking system was in use in Vietnam before the communist era (how long before, I do not know).

The ranks weren't given though, they had to fight. Each one got two tries against a person of their rank. If they failed both (or got so badly injured/died at the first attempt), they had misused one opportunity to get a rank. They had eight opportunities, so the maximum was eighth rank. I think it was called "dânh", not sure. So basically, under 75% (risks for injury were really high, no protective gear was used, and I almost everything was allowed. Basically the same rules as old Muay Thai) of the attendees got the first rank. This way the rank you got sticks with you for you whole life, and you have no chance of improving it, unless you haven't used all your eight chances.

Comment

Now that i FIND VERY INTERESTING and how I WISH THE WORLD WAS STILL IN SOME WHAT OF THE SAME WAY OF LIFE (pardon the caps)

Comment

Working...
            X