Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulling off ears

Doc

I was talking about hurting people with another MA and they said ears are really easy to pull off. They aren't attached very well.

I think its alot of nonsense. But whenever an MA talks about anatomy, I keep an open mind and bring it up over here.

So, pulling off ears.

The MA in question says if you grab the ear firmly between thumb and forefinger (as close to the head as possible) and pull sharply you'll end up with a handful of ear.

Any truth to this?

Mark
    Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Why the hell would anyone want to pull off someone's ears???? You morbid sick freak!
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

sounds to me...

...like something one of those know-it-all armchair fighters would say.
      "Arhat, I am your father..."
      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
        Why the hell would anyone want to pull off someone's ears????
        For starters, to keep them from raping you, your mother or some other innocent.

If you go back and read what I wrote, you'll see I'm asking if its anatomically possible. Doesn't say anything about wanting to do it.

You morbid sick freak!
        Thank you! I didn't know you cared. Your concern is touching. Rest assured my dr's say I'm making excellent progress. I don't even pull the wings off of flies as much as I used to.

[Sarcasm over]

I practice MA realizing one of its aspects is fighting-stopping someone from hurting you by hurting them more. Its not the only aspect. Its one of them.

Its pretty obvious that punching, kicking, twisting the joints and throwing are going to cause the punched, kicked, twisted and thrown individual pain and, perhaps, injury.

Now, its your choice to downplay that and emphasize punching, kicking etc as a means of exercise and/or self improvement. I think you are deliberately ignoring an aspect to MA that is unpleasant but still a part of MA anyway.

If you do that, even though I disagree with that approach, I'm not calling you names. Am I?

Mark

Comment

this reminds me of an argument

I once had about people with iron fingers and 'knife hands' being able to puncture through skin as if their fingers were metal.

I don't recall the specifics, but this person maintained that a master trained in this could pierce your flesh at will with their fingers. To me, that seemed anatomically impossible, as during some dissections I can remember having to use some serious force to insert a scalpel, which is very sharp and metal, to get through skin, muscle, and bone. I couldn't concieve of the unassisted human finger being able to duplicate that.

A friend of mine had his ear taken off in a domestic dispute. Fortunately, he had a hockey stick next to the bed to beat the roid head off him. But his ear was bitten off, about half of it. I mean, if you try a little tug on your own ear, it doesn't seem to be too practical or possible.
          "Arhat, I am your father..."
          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Well, they're not attached as well as an arm or a leg, but, given the proper amount of force, with an adequate grip, it's possible. Not sure if someone could do it with their fingers though, the ears are on there pretty good. Using a vice grips might help.

But, with the appropriate amount of force, manipulated in the appropriate way, dismemberment can occur. People lose parts of their arms and legs in car accidents, Jane Mansfield, if I remember correctly, lost her head in one. But just by grabbing and pulling, well, I don't know about that. More than likely, one would lose their grip on an ear before the ear was able to be pulled off.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

But whenever an MA talks about anatomy, I keep an open mind and bring it up over here.
              Mark, I think it’s a pretty good idea, to bring up those things here. Doc as a physician is surely the best advisor when it comes to anatomy. But there are not only rumors afloat about physical injuries that can be caused to an adversary in the martial arts world. It is a big rumor mill and so I think some of them are really worth to be discussed, so why not setting up a new forum just on this purpose. Something like the “Shaolin grapevine” or the “Martial Arts rumor mill” or whatever name you guys want to give it. We could have some nice discussions there, and probably we could all learn something about it, don’t you think so?

Cheye
              Don’t take life too serious, as you won’t get out of it alive anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne
                We could have some nice discussions there, and probably we could all learn something about it, don’t you think so?
                Maybe in a perfect world.

In this world, I think people with one view would end up making people with opposing views angry. The resulting flame wars would reduce any useful discourse on this site to zero.

Look at this thread as an example. I asked a question that can be legitimately tied to self defense (its about weak points on the human body) and was called a "morbid, sick freak"

Which, BTW, I'm getting put on a tee shirt

Can you imagine the firestorm that would erupt if I said I didn't believe the ancients knew all, MA is not all that great a means of spiritual improvement and don't let your MA heroes get too close to you because you may not like what you find out.

Ooooops.

Mark

Comment

okay...

okay...somehow i think theres a little more going on with you right now then youd like to say..

either way ..umm steve obviously wasnt serious

right now im not sure if you are or arent..

MYSTIFYING!!
                  "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I know Steve. He's not one to be insulting. You've got to see the warped sense of humor behind what he writes. Don't take it seriously.

But, you know, nobody ever called me a morbid sick freak.

Sniff.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I agree with Doc, you shouldn’t take this “freak” thing too serious or personal, Steve’s a nice guy. Sometimes it’s just hard to see the sarcasm behind a comment on the internet.
                      I understood what your intention behind that post was, and I’m still thinking that discussing those subjects is very useful, as people might become more attentive and careful on these issues.
                      And as for people getting angry, well I agree that it happened here during a discussion on a more explosive topic, but don’t let us slump into the past. Let’s give it another try and see what will get out of it.

don't let your MA heroes get too close to you because you may not like what you find out.
                      Yeap I agree, but this also goes for all your heroes outside the MA world.
                      Don’t take life too serious, as you won’t get out of it alive anyway.

Comment

Hi all

Ok. I've taken a deep breath, counted to 10, swum 1/4 mile and gone fishing with my son.

My head's in a better place.

Didn't catch the humor in Steve's remark. Sometimes I'm not good with subtleties. My bad.

Maestro, I guess I've had my fill of folks (general sense, and I don't mean Steve) who train and want to hide from the fact that MA contains some nasty, brutal stuff.

I don't know if the hesitance is from of a distaste of violence or an unwillingness to admit the world isn't all that great sometimes.

Cheyenne, I guess I'm in the mood for some "MA sacred cow tipping." What do y'all want to talk about?

Mark

Comment

ma

ma should contain brutal techniques, but the reason you train is to end fights quicker and more compassionately

Comment

I wouldn't exactly say that some of these combat applications are "compassionate", lol.

russbo.com

Comment

oh docy woky

you misunderstand

what i was saying was..brutal..lethal etc techniques are neccesary in martial arts, they belong there..you cant have 1 extreme without another

..but when i said "ma should contain brutal techniques, but the reason you train is to end fights quicker and more compassionately"

what i meant was, the techniques belong there and to one extent they are neccesary..but the purpose of training is to become better...stronger..faster..so when you do fight you can be victorious with relative ease, so that the techniques described above are not neccesary

therefore* ending a fight with 1 punch, kick, submission etc is much more compassionate, then grabbing a man by his ears, swinging him around and pulling with all your might..till his ears are in your hands, whilst blood gushes out of the sides of his head

so..you get it now

heheheheheheh

Comment

Working...
                              X