Smoking monks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking monks...

Yan Zhangs performers were hanging out at the temple today. I saw one of them smoking. I think I asked you something similar ages ago [about Shi Su Goong I think], (how) is it possible to achieve high levels of gong fu while adopting a habit like smoking. Especially after a longish period of time. Doesn't it really **** up your lungs and in turn your gong fu?

Thanks

P.S. How do you pronounce 'Zhang'?

The whole premise of smoking. I really hate that habit. But the appearance of "monks" smoking kind of makes us wonder. It doesn't fit the "perception" we all have. Then again, some people can't understand monks using cell phones either.

Two points here. Some of these performers might be just that. Performers. Students at the school. Coaches. And not monks. Not monks who have taken the vows under their master, at the temple. Remember, and we've talked about this before, lots of people get monk names, in fact, Shi Heng Jun's school gives all foreigners a monk name and makes them a "monk". Well, that's kind of nonsensical. And in some schools, all students get monk names, given to them by the monk headmaster. That doesn't make them monks. It may make them disciples, but it doesn't make them monks. At least by what I perceive as the definition, from my repeated journeys to Shaolin. So, more than likely, these performers are just that. Some of the better students. Some of the coaches. But not Shaolin wuseng.

Second point. So what? Shi Su Gang, Shaolin's greatest Chin Na master, smokes like a god damn fiend. Older guy, I've known him for a while. He's demonstrated to me a whole new chain smoking technique, one which I hadn't seen before. When his cigarette gets low, close to the filter, he rips the filter out, and plugs it onto the end of a new cigarette. I guess his body has figured out that all the nasty chemicals and nicotine kind of hang out in the but end of the cigarette; he's taking full advantage of what he can get. His skin reeks of nicotine now, far more than before. And his teeth are really rotting badly. How in hell he stays alive is beyond me. A mere mortal would have died years ago. Guess all his hard qi gong training has paid off. But, he was a monk, and, he still is. An old one, who doesn't teach or train in chin na no more, but still a monk. And what's the problem with that? Other than the fact that it's outside our perception of what a monk should look like. Well, he's made a choice, and he's stuck with it. And though, in our eyes, it's not exactly "monk like", it's still his option. Hell, it's his life.

Does it **** up your lungs? Your damn right it does. Even smoking for short term will reduce your exercise capacity. Long term will cause permanent irreversible damage. It's not something that any human with any sort of sense should be doing to themselves. The disease processes that are associated with smoking are innumerable. It's really amazing. Of all the thousands of people I've taken care of over the years of my career, I can honestly say that at least 80% of the adults had some sort of smoking related illness. Truly a nasty habit.

You pronounce Zhang "jang". Zh is generally pronounced like a "j", and "ang" is pronounced like the German word "angst". Zheng would be pronounced like "jung" (the ung part similar to the word "dung"). Zhong would be pronounced as "jong", with the "o" similar to it's usage in the word "ohm".
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Problem is (i think) people think too much of the kung fu and less about buddhism.

Smoking may absolutely be bad for kung fu but for your way to enlightenment? Ofcourse it could, as well as taking the wrong step or drinking a little to much milk and getting 0,0000001 seconds late for class, millions of factors determine our future, everything adds up, its more complex than kung fu vs smoking.

Forget what i said above and answer me this instead. Alot of people want to go to shaolin and be monks, for 99.999% of them its not gonna happen. If their serious about this why dont they get to China and become monks in other non kung fu chan or pureland buddhism temples instead? Ofcourse not, most of them are are really most intrested in the coolnes of being a shaolin fighting monk not buddhism the main purpose of being a buddhist monk, their only fooling themselves!

Comment

or..........

your wrong and they wish to train in chan, not pureland or some other school of buddhism..maybe they wish to seek the source of one of the most prominent schools of buddhism ever

maybe they practice action meditation, maybe they have other reasons that are now even phathomable to you...

i mean seriously..its a big world, you never know whats really going on...

and smoking isnt so bad, doctors always make molecular crazy issues bigger then they really are
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

You screw it up. Noone has the same reasons as the other, i know that. But there are tons of people wanting to be shaolin monks, if they were serious they could just join other chan monastarys in China, but no, they want the kung fu, they are ignorant.

Comment

well

well i know i want to train at shaolin, but i do NOT want to be a monk..

i feel, being a monk is something that should be thought over for a long time and contemplated with all the right reasons..i mean monkhood is something possibly reserved for my later year or something but besides that..no i dont think so

~~embrace life~~
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

You sure it doesn't demystify them a little enough to make them accessable ????

Two sided coin but why I never gave up yet anyway. The ones I want to talk to llike to know ppl can be faulted and okay all at the same time...................

BL

Comment

Dont smoke...oh yeah, and dont mix vicadin gin cigarettes and weed, you might get sick and probly wont be able to do very effective kung fu.
              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Without a doubt, people that are interested in becoming a Shaolin Monk are interested in some form of kung fu. This does not mean they would be bad monks, but if you're going to Shaolin, you're going to do kung fu wether you like it or not. There are thousands of Buddhist Temples across the world, and for someone to be attracted to Shaolin is for the aspect of kung fu. You ask why people wish to attend the ST. It IS for kung fu,. but is something wrong with that?
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by sunbird
                  You screw it up. Noone has the same reasons as the other, i know that. But there are tons of people wanting to be shaolin monks, if they were serious they could just join other chan monastarys in China, but no, they want the kung fu, they are ignorant.

lol ...........speaking of ignorance hahaha ...........

I don't know if I believe in good and bad monks either. Imho, despite what they're wearing or where they played, there are only real and not real . The trick is destinguishing the difference and if you can't , reserving judgement until you can ( and @ that paradox ( as in a buddhist tries not to judge and you're not likely to understand the difference and "supposedly " therefore have the right to judge from an informed perspective , unless you were ) ) is likely an option I'd consider. Live and let live is a great philosophy it seems, but again, obviously the choice is always your own perogative.

Articles have been written before somewhere about smoking as a meditative aide, but again a placebo is a placebo when it comes down to it but so are alot of other things.............. fancy being human after all anyway

Blooming Lotus
                  Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 04-15-2005, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X