No announcement yet.

Monk names, who's real and who's not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monk names, who's real and who's not...

I was wondering if u could help me out. My first question is..do u know anything about Master Lee Chi Wai??? he is said to be a 31st generation fighting monk?.....he opened a school here in Regina, Saskatchewan Canada and then in Ontario Canada. I have heard alot of conflicting comments on him....some say he is amazing and others say he isnt very well trained and so on.

My other question is if u know about any schools in Canada or the States that are full time training and are worth being taught from?.....if u could help me out I would appreciate it greatly. I have been searching for a good kung fu school for a long time. I have also tried looking in schools in China but have gotten no where.....is Japan an easier place to find training?.....

Well, the last thing I'm going to be is an authority on who's real and who's not. But I will say this; I've written a lot about the concept of monk names, and you can find further information on this in the Shaolin FAQ, somewhere.

Basically, all Shaolin temple monks have a last name of "Shi", which is a connotation of their family name (family names first in China) being representative of the monk order. "Shi", which also can mean "stone", is basically short for "Shakyamuni". The second name in a monk name is their generational order; your generation denotation is one after whatever your master's is. A thirty first generation fighting monk from the Shaolin temple would have a generation denotation of "De". So, one would expect a 31st generation Shaolin monk to be named "Shi De xxxx". Usually.

In Guolin's case, he doesn't fit the mold. Reason being, he started in a different temple than Shaolin.

As far as schools in Canada or the US, there's lots of information on this site. Also information on schools in China, all in their appropriate sections. If you're in the eastern half of Canada, you can't go wrong with Master Pan; he's somewhere in Ontario, I think, near Montreal. There are monks in New York and Houston. I've heard that there are many, many kung fu schools in a rapidly becoming Chinese predominant Vancouver area. The best thing to do is start searching.

As far as schools in China, there are references to some of the better ones on the site. I'll have videos listed in the File Library soon of each school.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

in canada search for sites in richmond vancouver, great community there, alot of asians too close by! surrey i think.

Comment

Gin Foon Mark

Well, I'm not sure, but I think Gin Foon Mark lives at or near the Canada area, and he's one of the most highly respected Southern Bamboo Forest Temple Mantis Grandmasters. It has more of a Taoist than a Buddhist influence, but regardless, it's a devastating fighting system. Besides, grandmaster Mark has experience with the buddhist/shaolin fighting arts too.
      a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

ahhh, nothing like a good old-fashioned devstating fighting system...

Comment

Vancouver area has the renowned master Liang, Shou-yu. www.shouyuliang.com He is probably one of the most untapped traditional (lay or secular) masters in the western world. That is slowly changing, though.
          "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Working...
          X