Looking for some advice on what school to attend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some advice on what school to attend

Hello my name is chris, im 19 and live in canada. As of late i happened to stumble across the Northern Shao Lin Martial Arts Academy website and ive decided i want to train in a shaolin temple or school that i can live at for a long period ( at least 6 months, probably a year). i would like to go to china to do this rather than the states or canada. as for previous martial arts expereince i have mainly done Jun Fan Gung Fu and alot of Thai kick boxing. lately ive taken a large interest in shaolin gung fu/wushu and desperatly want to find the right academy for me to train in. so far ive found it hard to find informative webpages for the schools beside the northern shaolin. I have emailed the head of the Northern Shao Lin Martial Arts Academy and still havent received a reply for a few days now. Basically im just looking for some help to get in contact with a school in china and set somthing up, so if anyone has any advice to where i should go or just some good webapges i can get in contact with some school thru feel free to post. I would preferably like to go to a school where they provide your food/board.

My email is rm2501998@hotmail.com feel free to mail me or add me to your msn , and my icq is 40871442

Thanks alot, chris
    Last edited by Fei Hung; 09-05-2003, 03:14 PM.

Well, do a search here on the boards, check the schools section. There is prob. more info here on the schools in dengfeng (in english anyways) than anywhere else.
    practice wu de

Comment

Ive searched the forums for live in schools in china but i cant find any exact price informati8on or there websites or any direct information.

Comment

Well there isn't much as far as web pages are concerned, but doc has definitely posted prices in various threads. Other direct info, like number and addy.... those are floating around too if I remember correctly.
        practice wu de

Comment

russbo.com Discussion Forum / Library > SHAOLIN > Shaolin Gong Fu Schools

There are a number of schools in Dengfeng discussed in this area of the forum... most have prices etc.
          practice wu de

Comment

This school was discussed ad nauseum. Look in this forum, under Shaolin Gong Fu schools, and also in the archive (use the "archive" button above)
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

Doc, in your opinion what would you think is the best school to stay at for around 1 year in the china region that includes boarding/food and hard training. if it were in a temple or castle that would also be a plus . Ive been searching webpages like crazy and emailed alot of the school but i havent goten a reply from any of them. So i guess im going to have to start phoneing them.

Comment

You're wasting your time and money if you think phoning these schools is gonna help.

You have a lot of options. I've talked about this more times than I can remember. Read the Shaolin FAQ, the archive, and this forum, for relevant information about going to China.

I do not recommend that anybody "go for one year". Go for a month, with the option of staying longer. Most people don't like it long term. It's harsh.

As far as schools, I suggest Yanzhang's, Decheng's, and the wushuguan. You might even want to try a combination of all three.

Start at the wushu guan for two weeks. Get a feel for Shaolin and the area. Go visit some of the schools in Dengfeng (Yanzhang, Decheng, primarily, my recommendations). Then, move over to Yanzhang's for a while, get your basics in, and then consider going to Dechengs, for training in some good traditional forms.

Do not go with the idea that you're going to stay a year. Believe me, it's the most absurd wish one could imagine. I've seen too many people get far too miserable after a while. Go with the idea that you're going to stay as long as you're having fun, or, getting something out of it. Keep your options open.

If you want to train in a castle, go to Germany. They have nicer castles over there. There are thousands of schools all over China, don't pick one because they have an English web site. If you want to learn Shaolin, go to Shaolin.

Let me know when you want to go. I'll help you set things up. I can get you better prices at the wushu guan than you can. I can also arrange Decheng's school, as for Yanzhang's, the prices are listed in his thread (Shaolin Gong Fu Schools forum), that's what they are, all you have to do is show up.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                X