A correction about cavity strikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A correction about cavity strikes.

So I forget where I wrote it, but I beleive I remember posting in part of a rambling reply that if you're oppenent leaves their armpit open and unprotected as they punch, it's not very difficult to strike them in the gallblader channel, specifically cavities 23 and 24. That's a typo, a brainfart if you will. Gallblader 22 and 23 are the cavities in the armpit, 24 is lower on torso, just above one of the false ribs.

While there are a number of shaolin and wudan forms (particularly praying mantis) which involve a double punch intended to simultaneously strike GB 23 and 24, if you're going for a dim mak strike to the armpits, you should be aiming for GB 22 or 23. Hell if you use a leapord fist hand form at the right angle you can hit 22 and 23 with the same punch.

Well I think that's all I had to say. Just had to correct myself there. As for this whole USSD mess, let us not be angered by the actions of stupid jeaolous people. If they come to us for help, perhaps we can show them the Way, if not, let them continue to bask in their own ignorance. But let us not lose our compassion for these poor misguided souls.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Hey maestro, this one's for you buddy.

Hmm, 20 odd views and no replies, I'm just curious here, does anyone even know what I was talking about in the previous post or is noone really all that familiar with the meridian system?

Doc, tell me you've studied the meridians at least a bit. If not, I have to suggest that ya'll read the following books. The Root of Chinese Qigong, by Dr Yang Jwing Ming charts the 12 meridians and the 8 extraordinary qi vessels in the human body, as well as providing loads of other useful information.

Also, The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A comprehensive text for acupunturists and herbalists , by Gionvanni Maciocia CAc. I've only just begun reading this book and its infinitely useful. Maestro, if you're still interested in learning about TCM I highly recommend the second book. It's a textbook I'll be using for 2-3 years of my current degree program. It's quite a bit heavier than most other books on TCM, (and it might cost you 60-110 dollars depending on where you buy it) but its well worth it if you're interested in seriously studying the subject.

Comment

Yes, I've studied the meridiens. I've also studied (and use) acupuncture, with some success. The meridiens are important with "marrow washing" qi gong, which I just learned this past trip. As far as using these points for strikes, you have to remember that a lot of these points overlie major nerve pathways in the body. Striking these nerves can have a significant localized effect on that extremity.

Yes, let us now lose oiur compassion for these poor misguided souls. Despite the fact that certain comments and advertising are throwing into turmoil the identity of the real monks that are here in the US.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Just curious here Doc, when you say use acupuncture, do you mean practice it? Or do you refer to being practiced upon by an acupunturist?

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with this particular treatment modality, particularly the unsuccessful ones.

The first time I received acupuncture I thought I was actually pretty healthy but it turned out I had some internal qi stagnation, after the first few needles were place and after another needle was placed near the shen gu on the forehead (I couldnt see exactly where he put it) I could feel things breaking up and it felt like masses were breaking apart and traveling down the ren mai and dissolving by the time they reached the whole qihai area of the lower abdomen. It was really quite interesting, I felt great, but after I left the clinic I was pretty light headed for a couple of hours, so I busied myself making a lentil stew. I was cautioned by several people not to be surprised if I was overwhelmed by an emotional release after the treatment but nothing of the sort happened.

Comment

I use it on myself; I was taught the techniques, and have all the different needles and electronic equipment. I don't use the burning herbs shit. I use it to self-medicate for when I have really bad migraines. I find it to be very effective. I've written about this somewhere in the site, I think I should probably elaborate more, in the TCM section. One of these days... (remind me)
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Hey doc, you should elaborate more on your self accupunctering...lol

Well the only thing I can say about this is Tui Na is easy to do on yourself if you have some sore shoulders, or frontsection....
            practice wu de

Comment

Re: A correction about cavity strikes.

Originally posted by daodejing
              So I forget where I wrote it, but I beleive I remember posting in part of a rambling reply that if you're oppenent leaves their armpit open and unprotected as they punch, it's not very difficult to strike them in the gallblader channel, specifically cavities 23 and 24. That's a typo, a brainfart if you will. Gallblader 22 and 23 are the cavities in the armpit, 24 is lower on torso, just above one of the false ribs.

While there are a number of shaolin and wudan forms (particularly praying mantis) which involve a double punch intended to simultaneously strike GB 23 and 24, if you're going for a dim mak strike to the armpits, you should be aiming for GB 22 or 23. Hell if you use a leapord fist hand form at the right angle you can hit 22 and 23 with the same punch.

Well I think that's all I had to say. Just had to correct myself there. As for this whole USSD mess, let us not be angered by the actions of stupid jeaolous people. If they come to us for help, perhaps we can show them the Way, if not, let them continue to bask in their own ignorance. But let us not lose our compassion for these poor misguided souls.
              Having studied dimmak ( or chin na , pending whether in China or the west where they have totally different connotations) myself, I can tell you that to land a strike to the armpits or to open it up, especially considering that most maers don't even know what they're not defending, is relatively easy. It is a potential death strike though for reasons of nerve accumlation and various connective tissue meeting point , so to take the hit is asking for a murder trial or causing damage that is just unneccessary. As I am a buddhist myself, and would rather minimise harm where possible , I sincerely recommend finding another point.

cheers

BL

Comment

I reconsidered your cavity strike question over a night or two and I realised that first;y the point you are talking about is just outside the cavity, and what you're really describing is ht1. This is potentially extremely dangerous, and if you were to try for the strike frpom the back, you might end up at an sp , which at max is going to get your opponent to faint. This is real life and there are real laws , morality aside.

Unless the situation is dire, cavity striking is for tcm healing study and shadow sparring.

cheers

BL

Comment

Nah, I wouldn't reccomend anyone to hit anyone else in heart 1, just putting a needle in that point can cause them to have an emotional breakdown. And the merciful thing about cavity strikes is how absurdly difficult the lethal ones are to perform.

However, it is still the case that if in a self defense situation, if someone throws a punch at you while leaving their flank exposed, it's not that difficult to deflect and counter by striking the gallbladder channel several inches below the center of the armpit. That's all I'm saying.

Play nicely.

Comment

Working...
                  X