Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chin Na in China?

Hello doc

Do you know of any good teachers of Chin Na in China? (I liked your Chin Na story but I doubt that I would be so lucky to find a teacher like that). Or would you know how I could find one?

I will be in China for a year or so from May 2004.

Thanks in advance.

snow

Shi Su Gang is Shaolin's chin na master. In fact, he is famous throughout China for his chin na skills.

Unfortunately, he doesn't teach it to everyone. Nor does he teach it to the current monks. And from my interaction with the older monks, their chin na knowledge level is limited to just basic stuff. Shi Su Gang is the man.

Unfortunately, he doesn't teach it anymore. He's getting older, and now he spends his time with Chen style Tai Ji.

So, as far as Shaolin goes, I haven't found many other good chin na options. One avenue that I would research however, is Li Peng's father. He's the famed "iron fist" of Shaolin, an incredible gong fu master, and, in my opinion, a not so good Chinese medicine doctor, lol (another story...) But if anyone knew chin na in Shaolin, my bet, it would be he. He still lives in Shaolin village, near the wushu guan.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Doc, thanks for the tip, I shall do some research.

snow

Comment

So does Shi Su Gang not have any students to teach his chin na stuff?
        practice wu de

Comment

Su Gang just doesn't teach the chin na anymore. Kind of lost interest in it. Just wants to to Tai Ji now. Which is a shame. He really knows chin na inside and out.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I was reffering more to prior students... but I think you also answered that...
            practice wu de

Comment

Oops. Wasn't paying attention.
              SuGang taught basic chin na stuff to the monks at the wushu guan. I don't know if he has any special disciples that he's taught the advanced stuff to. I kind of doubt it. He wasn't too keen on sharing this knowledge with a lot of people; just getting him to teach me what he taught me took some years of him seeing me around. And from what I've seen of a lot of the monks I've trained with, their knowledge of chin na is more on the basic level. So, I'm not sure who's around to replace SuGang.

russbo.com

Comment

Thats a shame...

Too bad he never took on a special deciple or anything....

Thanks Doc...
                practice wu de

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                  SuGang taught basic chin na stuff to the monks at the wushu guan. I don't know if he has any special disciples that he's taught the advanced stuff to. I kind of doubt it.

Doc,

he has five special students. I am adding below a picture of the two youngest ones. The other pictures will follow, once I have finished rummaging through my collection.

Uwe
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes, but you have to remember that SuGang also teaches gong fu. Again, he teaches chin na to the monks, but, how far he goes with them is really debatable.

russbo.com

Comment

Good Point there Doc.

Uwe

Comment

Thanks again guys.....

I've been doing as bunch of chin na lately, thats why this sparked my interest.
                        practice wu de

Comment

Chen Taijiquan has a lot of chin na stuff that you learn when doing pushing hands, so there is prob some crossover anyway... ive been tied up in numerous ways by the chen guys at my club

dave
                          simple and natural is my method,
                          true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

I've trained for two chin na teachers i Beijing; Su Xue Liang and Liang Qian Jin. I suspect the latter being sadist, since he threw me as hard as he could on my first chin na lessons ever (I got bruises everywhere, but at least it made me remember the techniques). He looked crazy as well, dead serious all the time and he had scars in his face. Su Xue Liang is an old man, very respected, I heard he's some kind of important person in the Beijing wushu world. Both of them were really good actually, and I've got Liang Qian Jin's phone number if anyone's interested.

Comment

Working...
                            X