Martial Arts Maturity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts Maturity

I've noticed that most Martial Artists who practice Chinese martial arts seem to be much more mature when compared to the mcdojangs of Korean martial arts and Cobra Kai of Japanese commercial arts schools. The topics discussed and the tone of the discussions concerning Chinese martial arts are much more civil, well thought out and thought provoking. Given the antiquity of Chinese martial origins,fables and legends you still see a methodical and sincere sharing when/where Chinese martial artists gather. This forum is a prime example;a font of knowledge and just plain fun to explore! This is my experience; Is it unique or has anyone else noticed this?
    Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

This forum is unique, I think. People kind of follow the lead of others who post here; others who tend to be very kinowledgeable and intelligent. Which is why, if you haven't noticed, there is one hell of a lot of reading going on in this forum, and relatively little posting.

I guess that's good. The end result is a forum which has a lot of information, and not much nonsense.

However, I think that it's a bit unfair to associate the intelligence and maturity that you see here with the Chinese martial arts; that is, one should not assume that those who practice Japanese martial arts are lower on the maturity scale. Granted, I have little respect for some severely Americanized Japanese martial arts schools, I think that they water down the art far too much in their endeavor to make money. We see that far too often, and, in my opinion, it is sad. But, capitalism is capitalism. Everybody has to make a buck.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I've seen some very mature & interesting discussions on Korean & Japanese arts. Depends who's posting. As Doc says we are collectively an insightful & intelligent group!

Mostly I find Japanese & Korean schools trying to make the quick buck by cranking out as many trophy winners, kata experts, and black belts as possible. As opposed to Chinese schools that have secret, mystical, society ties to a white grandmaster that learned his kung fu from the last surviving blind monk from Shaolin! But these are only small percentage; there are a lot of good teachers out there.

Comment

well, if by japanese schools you mean karate schools in america, then yes, i'd have to agree. but, and this is obviously a subject that deserves its own thread, i don't consider karate a traditional japanese budo. flame away.

anyways, i generally regard the great deal of the martial arts community in general with the same sort of feelings that i have toward the human race.....the great majority of people are idiots, but you know, that's okay.

don't worry, when i still lived in the states, i couldn't stand going to tournements. i love the thrill of competition, but geez, being around some of those crowds just felt embarrassing. practicing both in china and japan, though, put my fears of martial arts dying a slow painful death (of satin uniforms, double nachakus, and dummies flailing around a katana like they were conan) to rest. chances are that if serious practitioners, of any art, who are doing it for the right reason, fun and sharing will commence.
        -Jesse Pasleytm
        "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

I've had some incredibly good aikido sensei's, and many mature students in the classes of those senseis. But then I've had really good luck with having excellent judo and aikido senseis.

Mainstream commercial karate hower, and TKD, well they definately fit the aforementioned generalisation about being immature. But that has alot more with the type of students they cater to as opposed to the country in which the practice originated. Quite frankly I haven't heard of many shabbily taught entirely-for-profit gongfu schools in the U.S., yet (and that is written with the understanding that shaolin-do is most certainly not chinese gongfu). And that may be the reason for your observation.

I think it may also boil down to the fact that when someone has their mind set on learning gongfu, they come to class to learn an art. Hopefully.
          When someone up and decides, I need to start taking kararte, its usually because they want to hurt people or learn to avoid being hurt by hurting a potential attacker first. Which is not to say that karate isn't an art, but simply that one would be very hardpressed to find a sensei in this country who teaches the art of karate.

According to Dr. Yang, the original characture for martial art (i think it's "wu" but i might be wrong) litterally means when taken apart "an end to weapons".

The purpose of martial arts is not to learn how to harm an attacker, but to learn how to defeat an attacker without anyone getting hurt. It is to learn to resolve conflict without fighting, or at least without maiming and killing. I think that point may be lost to many american karate dojo's.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Hi folks

As there are lousy karate, TKD, etc schools there are (or will be soon) lousy Shaolin kung fu schools.

Someone, somewhere will sacrifice quality for $$$$. Its human nature.

If you are in a good place, its probably because the guy running the show doesn't put up with any nonsense.

Mark
            Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

Originally posted by juszczec

Someone, somewhere will sacrifice quality for $$$$. Its human nature.
              That's the crux of the problem.

Uwe

Comment

Originally posted by Uwe
                That's the crux of the problem.

Uwe
                I used to think so too.

Now I'm not so sure.

I don't think most people start training or continue training to be able to fight. That's where I think quality of training/instruction is most important - because if you screw up you or some innocent may die.

The majority do it for exercise. A small minority does it for personal development.

Frankly, whatever you give them will make them happy.

A smaller minority is interested in fighting/self defense whatever you want to call it. These folks will have to be self sufficient enough to figure out what they need and go get it.

With the proliferation of ideas (via MMA and the Internet) this is easier than ever before.

The only problem I have is MA instructors billing themselves as something they aren't and giving those who want to be able to fight a false sense of security. I think that's dangerous (to the student) and irresponsible (of the teacher). Unfortunately, its a buyer beware market.

Mark
                Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

Good point Mark.

Uwe

Comment

Working...
                  X