Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting direct monk access; the Shaolin School in Hungary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting direct monk access; the Shaolin School in Hungary.

Dear "Doc,"

My name is xxx xxxxxxx and I live in Hungary, the country that could be familiar to you through Shi Xinghong, because this is the place he spends most of the year, if I'm correct. I'm writing to you because we're in a desperate situation here. I'm a devoted student of Shaolin Wu Chan, buddhism and the martial side, as well (you can see I'm serious:I'm registered to your site ). But seriously, I have been doing researches in the knowledge of Shaolin, way before even I had the opportunity to start "learning." From what I've read on your site I found you a man who has a very objective perspective of the whole thing, especialy concerning the destruction and all these "lay monks" vs monks affairs. Therefore I feel that I need to inform you of the things going on in our little country.

So now for a little bit of knowledge.

Hungary has quite "unique" relations with Shaolin. Some even claim that the country is outstandingly fortunate, since we are the only ones besides China (?) to have a Shaolin Temple. And we are also "blessed" with such a phenomenon called Shaolin Chung Hop Kuen. Haven't heard about it? Me neither. As much as I know, this style was founded by a Hungarian ex-patriate, ex-Thai Box world champion (?) Robert Lyons (Xinghong should know him, since this guy is the leader of the Hungarian Temple and has some sort of a reputation in the everyday life) and Carter Wong (you may remember him from 18 Bronzemen or Big Trouble in Little China for he is a Hong Kong actor). They somehow got together in the US in the late 80's/early 90's and established this style, which, in my opinion is mainly a "free interpretation" of some basic Shaolin forms and "movie" kung fu). Despite all this, quite a bunch gathered around them and they became accepted by the Songshan Temple in 1999 as I remember. They all became Shi's and from about then on we became really fortunate: we could enjoy the visits and later the residence of Shi Xinghong and through him, the real Shaolin.

But I do not discriminate them, just observe the facts. I joined the only group in xxxxx, which ceased to exist after we were thrown out of the hall we used to train in (as far as I remember, they had trainings going on for about 10 years. I was there in the last year). Thus, left without a formal training, I started to look for a substitute. I must add that we had a clearing out in the forests where some train still, I go there almost every day. With the help of a German friend, I bought the books from Tagou and had him bring me some other teaching material from Shaolin, so I wasn't alone anymore. But a student is no disciple without a master, and one can't Shaolin learn from books...

Back to my quest for training: thanks to the infos on your site (!) I got to know that Xinghong held a 2 weeks seminar in Budapest - but for my disappointment, a week's cost was approx. $150 that I could not afford (Interestingly, it's almost kept a secret in xxxxx, since we did not know that he even resides here). Moreover, I found out that only those of the "higher ranks" were allowed to learn from Xinghong. But still, there were somebody who went up there at another occassion for 1-2 weeks, had to pay the same fee for 3 jibengong and the 5 basic stances... Thus, I decided to inquire whether Xinghong can be approached to teach or to hold seminars or just to talk about knowledge, but nobody would let me, wouldn't even help telling where he lives. I do not want to disturb him at all and I hope that if my will is strong enough, I will get to him, and him ONLY, because I feel that nobody represents the traditional Shaolin here, even if many claim to be monks (who live even more secular lives than me). At thebeginning of this letter, I was planning to ask you to help to get in touch with Shi Xinghongm since you'll be meeting him soon... but now I feel that you will probably provide me with something that will bring me closer to him and the Shaolin that has always been there, and which is not shaded by those who stand in its way.

Best wishes,
    Amito-fo!

xxxx xxx("xxxxxx" at your site)

Ps.: please, don't think that I want to take the easy end of things... I feel hard work, perserverance is the base, the literal "gong fu." I just feel that there are some in power and opportunity, who make a very good business by marketing Shaolin and Xinghong's knowledge here, which does not allow average or poorer people to have a chance to prove that they still have a chance. Thanks for your time!

Some interesting commentary here. I just have a few points to discuss.

First, Hungary is not the only country besides China to have a "Shaolin Temple". There are a few ways to look at that. First, in my opinion, there is only one Shaolin Temple, and it is in Shaolin. However, knowing Shi Xing Hong better than most, I understand how he "names" things. When he was living at my house (and he's here now), his "residence" is a "Shaolin Temple". I assure you, and the gods will aknowledge this, my house is not a "Shaolin Temple". But, we commonly see this now, not only with Shi Xing Hong, but with other monks who have emigrated from China to various parts of the world. They call their schools "Shaolin Temples". I guess it's all a matter of semantics; I understand why London, Sweden, New York, and Houston have these so-called "Shaolin Temples", but, technically, again, in my opinion, there is only one. It's in Henan. And Yongxin owns it.

I haven't heard of "Shaolin Chung Hop Kuen", but then again, I'm the last person that one would go to when it comes to different kinds of martial arts. Hell, I still don't know what "Shaolin Kempo" is, even though I'm surrounded by all these little neighborhood schools that claim to have senior instructors "who have gone to Shaolin to take Master's tests, to become real Shaolin masters...." OK, so some of these styles are a bit beyond me. It's so much simpler in Henan. You have "Shaolin gong fu". And that's what everybody trains. (And you can recognize the masters by their abilities). Here in the US, it just gets oh so much more complicated. But, if someone wants to "create" a style based upon whatever they want to base it upon, and get people to pay them to learn it, well, more power to them. It's a capitalist society, and that's what you get in capitalist societies, Hungary included. This is a common phenomenon in the martial arts world. I wouldn't be too disturbed by it. What becomes disturbing however, is when people create these mixtures of various styles, and then try to present it as the "one and only", and the "original". This is a phenomenon that is becoming far too rampant and widespread in the world of martial arts. Anyone who can pony up a significant donation to the big boy nowadays, gets "recognition". Truly sad. I had a long talk with Shi Xing Hong about this very issue today; no, he didn't mention your Shaolin Chung Hop Kuen, but he did mention various Americans and their payoffs to Shi Yong Xin. As he tells me, it's a real travesty, and an insult to the monks who have left the temple to spread real Shaolin gong fu. Which, if I might remind you, is what Shi Xing Hong teaches at the Hungarian schools. I don't know what Shaolin Chung Hop Kuen is, but I do know that Xinghong is teaching the real stuff in Hungary. I can definitely certify that.

As for getting Shi Xing Hong to teach you, well, that's a different issue. I've known him for years. And I'll mention this to him tonight. But, I also know how he is. He kind of follows the older more traditional way of teaching. And that is, most of his "teachings" are passed down to the students via his coaches, or instructors that he has trained. It's the Chinese way; few really get to train one on one with him. But, from what I gather, you should have better access to one of his instructors. He's told me that there are over two thousand students in Hungary, that train in his school. Something like twenty small schools, with about one hundred students each. No doubt you could find one of these schools, and start learning the basics. One day, no doubt, as you advance in your studies, you'll spend time with him in a training session or seminar. But, you've got to understand, with all those schools in Hungary, and his responsibilities in Germany and Hungary with the police departments, and the school in Spain, and the school in Canada that he visits, he's pretty busy. He's only here with me for about ten days, (which is unfortunate, because I've got seven monks coming for Thanksgiving weekend in two weeks, and he most definitely wanted to visit with them) because he has to get back to Germany for some sort of tournament his students are going to be in. He's fairly busy, and he's got some wild plans to expand even more.

He's always been like this, for as long as I've known him. I yelled at him years ago when I saw that he had four or five schools in China, none of which he could really devote any of his personal time to. It was sad, all these students that wanted to train with him, and none who really did, because he was always out doing this or that, or opening new schools. That's his way. Not all monks are like that. He is. Always thinking. Always moving. In one direction or another.

I respect it, and then again, not really. He's focused on the big picture (spreading Shaolin), but not on all the llittle ones that he sets up. I've seen the little ones fail in the past (his schools in China have gotten other head masters), yet, he continues to advance with respect to the big picture. It's been fun watching him grow over the years. I expect greater things from him as time goes by here.

But, as for you, I wouldn't expect much individualized quality time with Shi Xing Hong. It's not his way. He's quite busy conquering the world of martial arts for Shaolin. And, lol, goddammit, one day he's gonna do it. If I were you, I'd try to find one of his instructors in Hungary (there are quite a few now), and learn from them. Eventually, you'll achieve your goal of training with your main man.

And you might just find, when you eventually get to that point, that it wasn't what you expected it to be.....
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Hi Doc,

thanks for your answer, appreciate your help. I personally shaore your opinion about the various Temples and all the styles that may come with it (you know, my experiences weren't always positive - but as it seems, all such things shall come to an end). I also agree that I should seek Xinghong's instructors; basically my request of training with him meant that I want to learn things his way, without mediators who might distort the teaching... but if he (through you) suggest that his discipleas are to be trusted (remember, my skepticism is based on the fact that these men had previously been those of that other organization: (edited out, doc)

So if this is my way off getting there, then it shall be. Only that there is no such school in our 150 or 200 mile radius, therefore this training can only be occassional, which is unfortunate, because I feel that one must carry out as much training as one isable/capable if he/she wants to learn real Shaolin gongfu.

But then, maybe if I study somewhere weekly and train myself here during the week... well, this may sound possible and reasonable.

So again, thanks for the good words. I think I'll ty this way, and I'll report you from on the way to Xinghong. And if it won't be as I expected? Well, at least I won't have expectations anymore...

Amitofo,
    xxxx

Dont distrust people because of what they believed in the past. People change, well, sometimes. Allow them to present opportunities to gain your trust, and give them a chance. And, just because your nearest school is over one hundred miles away, remember one thing.

I had to travel to China to learn Shaolin gong fu.

Granted, I'm too old, ill, and generally worn out to do anything about it anymore, lol....

And, do remember one thing about expectations.

They are only expectations.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Working...
    X