Buddah Palm form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddah Palm form?

Please could someone give me information on Shaolin form/s where the practitioner generally keeps wide stances moving/twisting slowly whilst making Buddah hand signs and poses (looks a bit like Thai or Indian dance). I think I may have seen Shi Goulin performing it on one of those terrible Discovery Channel documentarys.

Can anyone help?

Jon
    "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Sorry. I meant to say do you know the name of the form/s. It's not the Rouquan form. Could be a type of dragon form.
    "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

I saw the documentary again with the form, it was "Myths & Logic of Shaolin Kung Fu" on National Geographic the other week. I think it is Sifu Shi Guolin (or someone who looks like him, it may even be Sifu Shi De Cheng) performing a supposed advanced form called "long boxing technique". I'm sure that is a bad translation of the form's name can any body be any help? Doc?

Long style boxing could mean a number of things it may actually mean "lung/loong: dragon" and not "long".

I am interested in this form as the movements are close to the movements I manifest in my own Southern Shaolin practice when I practice free movement (I'm slightly influenced by my previous basic training in dachengchuan).

(The strangest charateristic of the form is when the performer stands in the horse stance, stretches his arms to the sky, and brings them back down along with shakey hand jestures as though he wants to be rained-on, I hope that bad description helps).

Thanks,

Jon
      "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

I'm not sure I can be of help here. I haven't seen it. Shi De Cheng was going to teach me the dragon form during his past visit, but, with my lungs and his teeth (another story), we basically got nowhere. I might recognize it if I saw it though; doesn't sound like long chuan though. I'll keep an eye out for it on the tele.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Thanks Doc.

I thought I'd attach this image from the cover of Sifu Shi De Yang's Cannon boxing VCD. As it is the typical flowing stance in this set - imagine flowing slowly side to side with this stance (I'm sure all Shaolin have this stance but it is the best representation I could find at the time.
          Attached Files
          "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

Um, yeah, it's called a front stance....
            practice wu de

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee
              Um, yeah, it's called a front stance....

Um, thanks for your help . As I said before, the form is performed mostly in horse and bow/arrow stances and not much, or any jumping about. This isn't the norm from the northern Shaolin forms I've seen so far.
              "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

Is it qigong?
                practice wu de

Comment

oh well then it's probly southern style and i will try to find out what it is by tomorrow
                  all right bye.
                  lil monk

Comment

mybe tie chu or something
                    lil monk

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee
                      Is it qigong?
                      A lot of it does resemble martial qigong, a little bit like Chen Taijiquan or Yi Quan, but Shaolin flavour (not Rou Quan).

Jon
                      "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

Oh, I think I know what you are talking about.... I've seen it on a documentary or two where an old monk is swaying side to side, doing what sort of looks like a cloud hands esque type move... almost as if he is waving at you, but with the back of his hand.. Yeah, I think that is some martial qigong.
                        practice wu de

Comment

it wasnt shi goulin or decheng performing the form in the myth and logic dvd. it was shi heng jun. and the form is called chang quan. traditional longfist. the move u r talking about is when u punch upwards with 2 fist.known as cannon fist. that move is obviously more shown in pao quan.which is cannon fist. it has nothing to do with qi gong or a taichi form like u think.hope that helps

Comment

thats the move u r refering to. http://www.chinesemall.com/shaolinpaoquan.html

Comment

Thanks guys, it is the cloud hands form

I've since found the documentary on kazaa, and cut the footage into a 10MB MPG file. I'll see if I can find a program to compress it to a smaller WMV file.

Doc, if you want to see it I'll email it to you.

Regards,

Jon
                              "Bye Book!" - Ven. Damo

Comment

Working...
                              X