All Blog Entries

1. Quote on Joy

The very society of joy redoubles it, so that, while it lights upon my friend, it rebounds upon myself, and the brighter his candle burns, the more easily will it light mine.

-Robert South
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Quote on Joy

The very society of joy redoubles it, so that, while it lights upon my friend, it rebounds upon myself, and the brighter his candle burns, the more easily will it light mine.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Variation on yesterdays workout

Try substituting the bench press for the military press. I like to do floor presses with a 70lb kettlebell in each hand vs the traditional bench press.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Standing Press and Squat workout

Prior to the workout I do a pre-workout stretch routine which focuses mainly on joint mobility type exercises. The pre-workout stretch routine lasts about 10 minutes. Next, as part of my warm up I do the following:

25 Pushups
    (I've been alternating between traditional pushups, hindu pushups, knuckle pushups on a mat, and renegade rows using two 35lb kettlebells.)
    25 Squats
    (I've been alternating between bodyweight squats, squats using cable harness for resistance, ...

Updated 04-24-2008 at 03:06 PM by jt1

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The Stoic Warrior's Triad (Part IX)

This self-knowledge that you have betrayed yourself, destroyed yourself, is the very worst harm that can befall a Stoic. Epictetus says:

· “No one comes to his fall because of another’s deed.”
    · “No one is evil without loss or damage.”
    · “No man can do wrong with impunity.”

I call this whole personal guilt package that Epictetus relied upon, “the reliability of the retribution of the guilty conscience.” As I sometimes say, “There can ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. The Stoic Warrior's Triad (Part VIII)

Fear is an emotion, and controlling your emotions can be empowering.

I think I have mentioned all the things that the Stoics thought were truly “in our power,” within the realm of our moral purpose, under the control of our free will, save one category. It requires a little different thinking, so I’ve saved it for last. I have introduced it already, in part. The Stoics believed that all human emotions are acts of will. You’re happy because you want to be happy, you’re drained ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. The Stoic Warrior's Triad (Part VII)

I’ll drop the prison chronology right there, and concentrate on bringing to light as many more interesting wrinkles of Epictetus and his Stoicism as time will allow.

I would like to say straight off that I have read through and studied the Discourses, at least 10 times, to say nothing of my many excursions into the Enchiridion, and I have never found a single inconsistency in Epictetus’s code of tenets. It is a put-together package, free of contradictions. The old boy may or may ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. The Stoic Warrior's Triad (Part VI)

In this case, Epictetus said everybody should play the game of life-that the best play it with “skill, form, speed and grace.” But like most games, you play it with a ball. Your team devotes all its energies to getting the ball across the line. But after the game, what do you do with the ball? Nobody much cares. It’s not worth anything. The competition, the game, was the thing. You play the game with care, making sure you are never making the external a part of yourself, but merely lavishing ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. The Stoic Warrior's Triad (Part V)

Now I’m talking like a preacher here for a bit. Please understand that I’m not trying to sell anything; it’s just the most efficient way to explain it. Stoicism is one of those things that, when described analytically, sounds horrible to some modern people. Stoic scholars agree that to describe it effectively, the teacher must “become, for the time being at least,” a Stoic.

For instance, to give you a better feel for why “your own good and your own evil” are on the list, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. The Stoic Warrior's Triad (Part IV)

The eminent old philosopher Will Durant, in the volume named “Caesar and Christ” in his History of Civilization series, calls the five emperors spanning the era that Gibbon admired, “the philosopher kings.” All were stoics or had strong Stoic sympathies: Nerva pardoned exiled Stoics of the Domitian reign. Trajan had a Stoic tutor in his quarters. Hadrian was Epictetus’s close friend. Antonius Pius, a “product of the Stoic school,” insisted that in Roman law courts, Stoic legal principles ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. The Stoic Warrior's Triad (Part III)

Epictetus, a bachelor until his very late years when he took a wife his age to help him care for an infant he rescued from death by “exposure” was a “natural,” extraordinarily gifted teacher. He was gregarious---- never missed the Olympic games which were conducted only about 50 miles from his school. He talks about the Olympics of those years in Enchiridion [29]:

In every affair, consider what precedes and what follows, and then undertake it. Otherwise you will begin with ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. The Stoic Warrior's Triad (Part II)

To get my message today, you have only to have a general understanding of the message of one man: the Stoic philosopher Epictetus, the outstanding pagan moralist of the Roman Empire. I’ll do my best to give you that understanding in a couple of 50-minute talks with a break in between. And for the remaining time, mainly through questions and answers, we’ll discuss the worthiness of what I’ll call Epictetus’s “Code of Conduct” to be part of us as warriors. Code of Conduct? You thought ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. The Stoic Warrior's Triad (Part I)

I originally posted this in the Journals section. I am posting it here per the Journal Section is no more. I find myself returning to the writings of the Stoics quite often.

(Any errors are due to my typing or I should say lack of typing skills.
    I have found the writings of the Stoics, and commentaries on the Stoics, to be quite helpful. I hope you enjoy this as much as I have.)

Stockdale on Stoicism I:

The Stoic Warrior’s Triad
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. The New Psycho-Cybernetics

Just finished reading 'The New Psycho-Cybernetics.' I would recommend it to anyone looking to refocus their energy toward achieving a goal. Especially one that you've been telling yourself is unattainable. Certainly the type of book you come back to again and again.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Training Routine

When performing this routine I use kettlebells. You could certainly substitute another weighted object or sandbag etc. for the kettlebell. Give it a shot. The specific exercises are some of the movements I learned in studying kettlebells.

Beginner

2 Arm Swing 20x 1, 53lb weight

2 minute rest

Turkish Get-up 5 minutes 1, 53lb weight
    (Alternating right
    and left arms. One
    for one.)

2 minute rest ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12