Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa Issues

New updated information concerning tourist visas to Thailand:

PHUKET CITY: At a press conference held late yesterday, Phuket Immigration confirmed that foreigners arriving without visas at any of Thailand’s non-airport immigration checkpoints will be granted permits-to-stay of only 15 days, half the former number.

The conference was led by Phuket Immigration Superintendent Chanatpol Yongbunjerd, who also confirmed that the former rule limiting foreigners entering on “visa exemptions” from staying more than 90 days over a 180-day period was no longer in effect.

As a result, foreigners from any of the 40 countries eligible for “visa exemptions” can now legally reside in Thailand year-round, provided they don’t mind making a “visa run” every 15 days (30 days if by air) and abide by all other laws and regulations.

The new 15-day rule is now in effect at all 54 land border checkpoints, including the seaport checkpoint at Ranong, popular with Phuket-based foreigners doing visa runs to Burma.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Gotta love the name of that city...
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

As usual, there are always ways around the system.

One way to stay longer in Thailand, legally, is to do the following:

Arrive on a tourist visa which you get at the airport (or, at a Thai embassy in your home country)

Sign up for one year of language lessons at a local Thai language school. Cost, about 20,000 THB for one year.

Got to the Thai embassy in Penang, Malaysia (twelve hour minivan run one way, or one hour flight) and get ED visa (education visa, valid for one year, requires visa runs to border every three months, can be extended in Thailand on yearly basis).

The monthly "by air" visa runs can be terribly expensive after a while, and no one wants to go to Ranong, Burma (four to six hour drive) every two weeks for a tourist visa.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

it was 30 days, right? why the change?
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

The Thai's are trying to crack down on foreigners who come here, stay on a tourist visa for a year or two, and work, without getting a work permit (and therefore pay taxes and health insurance).

It's a shame the US doesn't do the same. Our economy and health care system wouldn't be in the shambles that it's in.

russbo.com

Comment

seems taiwan is doing the same thing, though they're going about it differently.

all began with this recession business, no?
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

No, this has been an ongoing issue in Thailand for years. It's a great place to live, which is why many people try to stay here.

russbo.com

Comment

honestly i do the same thing here. but, what i meant to say was, these policies were never instituted before just recently. in taiwan some people believe it's do to the recession.
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                X