Site hack and devastation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site hack and devastation

This wasn't the first time, but it most definitely was the worst.

A few weeks ago, when I was "in jail", someone or some group hacked into one of our rented servers and destroyed the Forums. I repaired it relatively quickly, so few of you might have noticed it. What was interesting in that hack, was that the hackers got access to the server, and deleted all the files that form the basis for the forums, photo library, and other things. If you haven't noticed, these forums are fairly complicated and involved; losing all of their respective data was a bit of a nightmare. Except for the fact that we had backups. The server was rebuilt fairly quickly. The hackers uploaded a new index page to taunt me, the admin, and also blamed the hack on Islamicists. I kind of doubt that Islamicists would be interested in disrupting russbo.com. There are other groups that I think would be more interested in hurting us, especially after our April Fools stuff a few months ago.

This hack was different. It was not only a very difficult thing to do, because of the new security measures I had in place, but, it was very disruptive. And, well, different. I suspect that we most definitely have pissed someone off.

This time, the hackers did not destroy data, probably knowing well that we keep very extensive backups of the entire site and the various databases that run it. This time, there was a disruption of the software that runs the MYSQL databases, software that runs the server itself. How these people got into that part of the server, is quite interesting. My server techs were a bit curious as to how this had happened, especially since it took about a few days to repair the server software (we're on a new server now, not sure what happened to the old one). I can't imagine how long these hackers spent just trying to do what they have done. It has taken me a few days to fix the rest of the site. Again, we have backups of everything. The problem is, putting it all back together, especially in a site as complicated as russbo.com.

I find it quite disgusting to think that someone would want to spend the inordinate amount of time necessary to cause damage as this, especially since I provide this site, solely at my expense, as a community service to those interested in the topics that this site gets involved in. We make no money on this site, and we offer no advertising. Everything that we do here, is for you. These sorry individuals that bother with this sort of needless destruction really do need to get some sort of a life.

Questions have arisen concerning the origins of this hack. I have the access files, and after a while, I might be able to narrow down where the originators of this hack are. Some have suggested that the Chinese have been involved in this, especially those that have allegiances to certain Shaolin officials. I find this suggestion humorous, though possible, and, if true, quite pitiful.

I should have the rest of the site functioning soon. My shoddy internet access prohibits me from getting this done sooner than later. Please advise me of anything that does not seem to be working correctly.

doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

if u find out who they are tell me, i got fired 2 weeks ago(YEA) and umm, ive had alot more time to train lolo. so im feelin great, and i wouldnt mind kicking some ass on your behalf lolo

just kinda hope the hackers dont read this i dont have a comp this is my moms and i dont want hell to rain down on me from a nerdlings keyboard.
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

hell yes, just give us a name and we'll bring the pain on em

does ussd have trained hacking monkeys at its disposal now?
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Well, god knows there are people who hate me.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

eric, nice to see you back on here, hows your training been.

and from what i hear doc doesnt need anyone to take care of business for him, i think hes lookin to become the next TUF candidate at 40 something lolo

Comment

my training's been slack, all sex and very little gongfu. On a side note, did BL hack it?

Comment

No, but BL, to make a little tribute to her, played quite the role in the April Fools madness that we had all month. And, she didn't even quite know what her role was, nor did she know she was playing one.

But she was a real trooper, and I'm quite proud of her for what she did and didn't do.

I'll write about it one day....

russbo.com

Comment

So what exactly did bl do in april, i got a strange message saying you were arrested and she was running the site now. Around that time, the site stopped working for me and crashed internet explorer every time i got onto it.

Comment

to much sex eh, well..i can understand that but, your only young once, and thats when its best to hone your skills so you can move onto more advanced training...

im one to talk though shit, everytime i get a new job my schedule gets ****ed, the last time i trained was saturday and it sucks just thinking about it.

and bl.. that whole bl as a mod shit was funny cause i was the first to go to hell and i knew why she was the mod, i just thought it was comical the way she took it, because i foresaw what would become of her and her knew found power lolo

Comment

You STILL think BL was the super admin.

Good lord Maestro, LOL....

(BTW, dont' feel bad, people still think she was SA, and, still think I was in jail...)

russbo.com

Comment

i hate u doc, even more then i hate satan!!

i dont think u want to have a battle of wits with me, you and your measley(spelling..) MD and me and my highschool diploma..i dont think u wanna go there!!

yea.. but wasnt princess bl? if not what the hell. do u guys like sending me to hell? and..wasnt there supposed to be some crazy you get banned shit after some odd visits to hell? are u guys afraid of my wrath to ban me or do u guys really like my profile vid or something?!?!

questions..that need ...attention..like the rest of the forum...lolo

i feel like im in a cave HHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOO russbo whered u go?!?!

Comment

I turned off the "forever banned after x visits to HELL" bit, mainly because I'd hate to see you go.

And BL was never Princess.

Never has been, never will be. Even though, in our hearts (well maybe yours), she's a princess of sorts to us all.

(And, I might add, you were not the only one who completely fell for the April madness. Gonna have to write about it one day....)

russbo.com

Comment

I was gettin my high school diploma as well, lol. But...I ****ING LOST MY SENIOR YEARBOOK AT SOME ****ING BEACH PARTY
                          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

please do clarify what happened, im still in the dark about this

Comment

The dunken donuts, thai jail, beach party, or the fake BL, "Princess"?

I called it, you know.
                              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Working...
                              X