Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc, I am pleading the 5th here....

Comment

Maestro, I've been way out of touch for the past few weeks, getting the servers changed, repaired, upgrading software, cleaning out hacks and other devious and nasty software that all sorts of incorrigible people have installed on the site, and I'm still having problems with my email, so, I'm not sure if at this point in time, you're stuck in a Malaysian prison or whorehouse. Or, worse, like married to that new girlfriend of yours.

In any event, the site is almost refurbished and functioning, and my email should be back soon. As for training here, we're reopened Russboasia (small facility, still under construction), and I have other options available to you if you want to do some MT training.

Please let us know that you're not hogtied somewhere in KL.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

lol, married...i think not. and arrested..well i did have someone threaten to arrest me recently, the little bitch that he was but thats a long dumb annoying story.

just let me know where i can stay for cheap near you and the gym, if u got free weights ill do a backflip to throw em around..i miss my gym!! the gyms here suck. anyway yea everything is cool now just need info on where to stay where to look i suppose and then i can arrange for a ticket, just got back from singapore and not really impressed with singapore was nice but meh just a more expensive version of KL imo and a little cleaner but nothing to brag about atleast not as far as ive seen.

anyhow glad to see the site back up ill write more later a little busy with the furniture people here
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Maestro, I need to get some sort of an idea as to what you'd like to do when you're here. And, what sort of budget you're running with.

As I've said, we closed our gym on the west side of the island, and, unbeknownst to me, the guys built a building and reopened. Well, the building is not complete yet, but the downstairs gym part is functional. My good MT coach is available, and a workout place is currently being cleaned up. But, we're a bit far from being "open" . I work out there, but, again, it's not exactly presentable. And unfortunately, it's on the east side of the island, which is kind of in the middle of nowhere.

There is a small apartment complex next door which charges 1500 thb per month rent. No food is included, but there are many street restaurant type stands nearby, and restaurants within motorbike range, which you'd have to rent if you stayed anywhere near our gym. They are not that expensive. Other accommodations are available cheaply on the island. I would consider them spartan at best. These are Thai homes / rooms, not hotel or modern city type accommodations. Be forewarned.

My original MT teacher has his gym opened and cleaned up; he has a good coach also. His gym / house has a large MT workout area with many heavy bags, etc, but no gym equipment. His rates would be inexpensive as well.

As for gyms, I'm told that a new one just opened. Something completely out of the ordinary; a huge multi million dollar complex complete with two indoor Olympic size pools, and modern weight machines. Some German group opened it recently, it is near my house, about a half hour from my gym, and it puts everything in Asia to shame. I have yet to visit it, but plan to soon. Because it is part of an elementary school that they are building, which is getting many kudos from the local expat residents, I'm sure that it will survive and prosper. It's expensive though, over a thousand dollars a year to join. Not sure if they have a monthly rate; I have to look at that.

You have other options; Tiger MT training center is a good place down on the south of the island, it has shit weight lifting gear if any, but good rings and bags, and very spartan included housing. Also, Rawaii MT training, same story, not as big as Tiger. I don't know what they charge, but they are popular with the people who come here primarily to train. Again, if you want to do anything on the island, you'll have to rent a motorbike.

So, lots of options. give me an idea of what you need and what you want to do; I'll do my best to find the time to make it happen.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I would go with Tiger. Been there before.

Comment

Right, accomodation, i think 1500 is to good to be true lolo and im almost certain that would mean a dirty shithole infested with cockroaches. if not then enlighten me. with that being said the room isnt very important at all i just dont want to wake up fighting bugs like starship troopers. ive looked into Patong a little and ive seen some decent places although that may determine my length of stay 2-3 weeks a month who knows it all depends mostly on my budget which is moderate.

my MO for this trip is to chill with doc without infringing on his family time and training etc whatever. i came to asia to train fulltime, ive been sidetracked by infection, eczema and a punjabi girl. lol things i like to do, Eat..travel(explore whatever) have fun. im uninterested in clubbing or drinking etc i wanna see the clubs for sure but not my scene really.

as for tiger its 300 usd a month and those prices are just obscene they can eat shit. the only place i found a decent teacher was in chiang mai for 30 usd a month and i wont be going there anytime soon, besides kru jak here in malaysia whos 120rm a month i wanted to do bohkator in PP cambo for the same amount just about. thailand is to commercial and i refuse to pay 3x what i do in the U.S. even if i was a billionaire i wouldnt pay that because its bullshit.

so basically i do want to train of course would rather have people to train with, beat someone up get beat up whatevers clever really. but training isnt my sole purpose for thailand honestly i wanna just have fun and god knows what that means there hopefully just relax and take in a different culture without getting scammed or harassed by some little shit head

i found good flights but gotta make a decision about accomodation and need more time to find something suitable i suppose kinda in the dark about the size of phuket a friend told me its about the size of langkawi which would be nice considering i toured the whole island in a couple hours on my bike, if its a little bigger but still about the same transportation shouldnt be a problem i suppose just weary of thieves and bullshit things im unaccustomed to here in KL

Comment

You won't be fighting the little buggers in most of these Thai apartments; the Thai are actually pretty damn clean. But, there is the occasional Asian cockroach and beetle that will find it's way into your life in some shape or form. I'll try to get a picture of this one place; there are many others.

That one gym I was referring to, is pretty impressive. www.phuketinternationalacademy.com , I'm going to be putting my little guy in there next week (The gym costs about a hundred dollars a month, not worth it IMO, nice equipment, all up to date, but I have everything that's really necessary for a good total body workout with my stuff. The Olympic size pool however, together with the gym at about 150 USD per month, is an interesting deal. As a parent of a student, I get a discount). Hopefully, if he doesn't kick the shit out of the other little nursery school kiddies, they'll accept him. But for some reason, he's picked up this habit of "push hands", and he's got a mean little right hook. My wife is beside herself over this; I am just impressed.

I'm working on prices with these various people right now, should have something put together in a day or two. The typical charge at our gym, which is a work in progress, is thirty baht a day, which is what the locals are charged. MT training won't be 9000 thb a month; but in all fairness to Tiger, I would assume (possibly wrongly) that that includes housing???? You should investigate that further.

And Phuket is pretty big; a motorbike trip to see all the different parts of the island will take you more than a day. A car or a motorcycle might do it, but it would be pretty tiring.

As for my time, I'm available here and there, but I've got a little guy that I have to drive to school three days a week starting next week, and a wife that actually likes to spend time with me. Well, give her a few years, and no doubt that will change...

Depending upon your financial situation, I would recommend Tiger for at least part of your trip, just for the experience of it. Then the rest of your time, we could keep you fairly busy.

russbo.com

Comment

well housing wise thats good to know, do the apartments have like a fan and a shower/toilet etc? if so ill stay for a month no problem. tiger ill look into that but im pretty sure the rates just go up if you want to include housing and "meals" i looked into them a while back and before i wrote that post ill go look once more but ..ill see, the no gi and mma stuff would be more suitable for me but i dont think its worth the money they charging

and school huh, wow how old is he? my god time flys i thought he was like 2 or something. and its no problem really i understand you have a family i know how much fun kids are when their that age aswell and plus u got a hot young wife so..dont bother with me lol i wouldnt. im sure we will have time to get together bla bla and training of course 30 baht a day thats about what im lookin at here and with the guys in chiang mai and cambo

so the island is big then ill google it on a map or something and see but its not a big deal really im not in a hurry to anything these last few months its been great.

anyway just limme know about that apartment if no shower and toilet how will i wash and shit? and what else..motorbike how much does it cost to rent one? the gas im not worried about but rent for each day or week etc im curious

the place u train ur gym does it have free weights or what, i usually like the olympic barbell and just do super sets but a bench is nice to, i dont really bother with squats and str training anymore unless i was competing for a fight or something which im not so my focus is generally cardio or atleast it was..i havent touch a weight here

Comment

OK, here's a little more information.

We're working on the upstairs of our new gym at the moment; the MT training will take place up there. Kind of nice, in a bizarre sort of way, as not all the walls are finished, so its easy to fall out of the second floor building. Personally, I think it makes training more "interesting". But since the gym is a half kilometer from the ocean, we get nice breezes without having any walls.

The electricity is going in to the downstairs soon, so we'll have lights for late night workouts, and fans to keep the mosquitoes confused.

As for MT training with us, my coach likes to charge 500 thb per session. But since you'll be here long term, I think we can get the price down. It would be morning sessions, generally when I work out, around 9 or 10 to noon. That would be free weights, machines, and MT sparring and bag work. We have no evening training; for one, the mosquitoes get a bit nasty at dusk, we have no lights, and, as I've mentioned, we have no walls upstairs. For evening training, I have another place that I go to, the one that I started MT training eight or nine years ago, back when I was in some sort of decent physical condition (having a wife and a kid messes you up, trust me on this) and that would be pure MT. I'll get prices on that tomorrow.

Most places around here charge 1000 thb per hour for MT; which I think is way too much. But, the trainees are few and far between, so they have to make the money while they can.

The apartments right next to the gym are about 1500 thb per month as I've been told, typical Thai apartments, usually one or two rooms, with electricity, western toilet, running water in a sink, maybe a refrigerator (I have to look), and a shower. They're small, but usually very clean. You have to remember, it's Thai standards, not western.

Motorbikes usually cost 400 thb per day for automatic, 200 thb per day for manual shift. But long term monthly rentals are much cheaper; we're looking into it. You'll need one to get around.

Nice beaches are about twenty to thirty minutes by motorbike depending upon traffic. There are tons of little Thai restaurant thingies all over; the food on the street is not only safe and clean, it's usually pretty delicious.

As for me, my little guy starts school hopefully on Tuesday, which means I've been getting up at 630 (a feat for me), and working out. My plan is to train every morning while I am here. The wife understands and accepts this. However, I will probably train some mornings at my son's school, because of the Olympic pool. I may throw some evenings training in MT with my old coach some days. I do have to keep the little woman happy though. Remember, if momma's happy, everyone's happy.

Attached are two pictures of the downstairs of the gym, with my MT coach. He speaks English and Thai, and is very experienced in MT. Knows more techniques than some of my previous trainers.
                    Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

1000 thb a hour is what you pay monthly here...lol. anyway that all sounds very good i found a round trip flight to phuket for 100 usd although if i wanna stay longer that would suck cause itd be a waste maybe i should plan on 2 months in thailand? honestly the price of the apartment sounds great it would really cut out the problems with going somewhere outside phuket like bangkok etc. if i were staying at a hotel it could get complicated, an apartment as cheap as that aswell would be perfect for me, somewhere clean and safe with a toilet shower and bed..do they come with a bed? anyway thats about all i care about dont really wanna be in doors in thailand.

i spend quite a bit of time indoors here though but its KL unless your working the only things to do here is your choice of megamalls which have everything to do but it can get expensive..or eat which is what i usually do alot of lol. even that can get expensive.. but my condo is pretty big and a good place to train since everyone but me works

anyway whatever, let me know if u can work something out for monthly prices if not ill train when i can 13 usd a session well, doesnt sound like alot but when u add it up..thats quite a bit, so i ll do what i can

the motorbike let me know, the accomodation though so far sounds fine, im not worried about being bored or finding things to do, moreso worried about staying out of trouble and the thai poon that may become a problem depending on how long i stay and how hot they are....

and how long do they give me on my visa when i arrive? ill look into the trains to a long shitty way to travel but really cheap i know the KTM here goes to thailand dont think it goes to phuket pretty sure it goes to bangkok and stuff though

anyway i should be buying a ticket pretty soon then either way depending on what else you say ill determine how long i should stay and what kinda tickets to buy cause i cant buy plane tickets with my mastercard i gotta use my GF or my friend Tan said he will do it for me but not doing that..anyway just keep me posted id like to get this set in motion quickly.

Comment

The famed Orient Express goes through KL to Bangkok, though I hear it is very expensive. It's kind of high class; I've never done it. The flight on Air Asia, one of the cheapest, is only an hour. You get a month long tourist visa at the border upon arrival. You have to leave at the end of the month, and return to get another month long visa. You can do that three times, up to ninety days every 180 day period. Most people take a cheap one day mini van trip to Burma via Ranong, which, is an experience.

Monthly training costs will be lower. I just don't know what.

The apartment is SMALL. Not like a condo in KL. SPARTAN. But if you just want a roof to protect from the rain and sun, it works. You should spend most of your time on the beaches, Patong, restaurants, Patong, working out, Patong....

russbo.com

Comment

lol, my condo is big here in KL, real big. so small and spartan(i like that word) should be an experience, ok so this time aorund ill look into a month then i should book a flight or train in the next couple days probably leaving for the 15th or so and coming back around the middle of june

the train is always cheap as hell here..always. but i dont know ill have to look cause i am curious how much it costs from here to bangkok. maybe its a different train but i wouldnt call any of the ones ive been on magical and i took one all the way to Rau station and thats damn near the thai border but it could be a different train i dunno. the one to singapore sucked just as well although my standards are low and i dont care..

Comment

Here's an update on pricing around the island. I don't remember if I had mentioned this already.

Tiger Muay Thai: Group lessons 10,000 ThB per month, does not include accommodations, two sessions per day, usually large groups. Private lessons costs 600 ThB per hour. Tiger has nice rings, heavy bags, but no weight room. Tiger usually recommends to its western students to find accommodations elsewhere, as their housing basically consists of one cubicle room cell like things, reminded me of the really shitty accommodations that can be found in some Shaolin schools in China. The Thai's tolerate them, the westerners tend not to. Renting a motorbike is essential as Tiger is fairly distant from the beach and other places of interest. Training however, is very good.

Rawai Muay Thai is similar.

My old Thai coach from years ago charges 950 ThB per hour for private lessons; monthly, usual price is 20,000 ThB, but discounted for you at 15,000 ThB. He has heavy bags, (took his ring down as his daughter is getting married soon), and no gym equipment. He's more centrally located near the good beaches and foreigner restaurants. No nearby accommodations that you want to pay for; hotel prices in the area start at $150 a night and go up past $2000.

We are still building our new facility. It's small, but we have a decent indoor gym with machines, aerobic stuff, and free weights, basically a good selection to work out everything you might want to work out. My coach offers only private lessons, discounted for you, at 500 ThB per session. A session includes one hour of MT training, plus he usually hangs around to do weight stuff for a bit. Our gym charges 40 Thb per visit, or 700 ThB per month for unlimited play time. We have heavy bags, and unlike the other MT places on the island, we have thick professional mats on the floors. (I personally feel that working out on concrete can be dangerous, because of the rare fall people take when kicking. Hitting your head on a mat is much better than on a concrete floor). We're working on building an outdoor sand covered training area now. Accommodations nearby (fifty meters away) costs 2000 Thb per month, unfurnished (but I can furnish it for you with my spare stuff); it includes a SMALL living room, bedroom, and typical Thai shower/toilet area, with a bench like thing for a kitchen. It's Thai, not western. No A/C, but a fan will suffice at night. Temperatures in Phuket at night are usually in the high 70's, low 80's. Renting a motorbike is also essential, as unfortunately, we are located on the far more quiet eastern side of the island. A little further to get to the beaches, but, that's why it's cheaper.

Some other ideas to follow.

russbo.com

Comment

Here's what you can get for about 2200 USD per night, which is about 66000 ThB, if I did my math correctly.
                              Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

Here's a gym that you can get for about 6000 ThB per month (about 200 USD), has a modern nicely equipped weight room nearby.
                                Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X