We have lost the Iraq war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Rubin. 2002. "The U.N.'s Refugees". The Wall Street Journal:

Unfortunately, UNRWA is not alone in reinforcing the U.N.'s reputation as an organization incapable of fighting terror. On May 24, 2000, Israel unilaterally pulled back from southern Lebanon, a withdrawal the U.N. certified to be complete. Terror did not end, though. On Oct. 7, 2000, Hezbollah guerrillas crossed the border and kidnapped three Israeli soldiers (including one Israeli Arab), all of whom they subsequently killed. Observers from the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon videotaped the scene of the kidnapping, including the getaway cars, and some guerrillas.
    Inexplicably, they then hid the videotape. Questioned by Israeli officials, Terje Roed-Larsen, the U.N. Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, chided Israel for "questioning the good faith of senior United Nations officials." When after eight months the U.N. finally admitted to possessing the tape, officials balked at showing it to the Israeli government since that might "undermine U.N. neutrality." That U.N. observers protected and defended guerrillas who crossed a U.N.-certified border, using cars with U.N. license plates while under the cover of U.N. flags, was apparently of no consequence to UNIFIL. Pronouncements aside, U.N. moral equivalency in practice dictates that terrorists are equal to states. Fighting terror compromises U.N. neutrality.

Article can be viewed at http://www.opinionjournal.com/editor...l?id=105001943

And by the way, its a very interesting article. It also talks about the UN and Terrorism in Iraq. In fact, about the UN in general:

http://www.mideasttruth.com/UNdanger.pps The part i posted above can be found in this presentation in the part about "The UN and Israel"

Here's an article about smuggling Qassam rockets

Beyond the Facts

Spreading the truth about the Middle East, The Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the international terror network. Daily Editorials and OP-Eds from the world media, such as The New York Times and The Washington Post. Cartoons and videos about the Middle East conflict.

Israel wants UNRWA probed

By Amir Mizroch and Ofer Barsadeh
    The Jerusalem Post
    October 2, 2004

Surveillance video shows Palestinians in Gaza loading
    what looks like a Kassam rocket into a vehicle marked "UN"
    Photo: IDF

Israel's Ambassador to the United Nations, Danny Gillerman, has called on UN Secretary General Koffi Anan to fire Peter Hansen, the head of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) following the publication of video footage showing Palestinian terrorists storing what appears to be a Kassam rocket inside a UN-marked vehicle in the northern Gaza Strip.

"We view this incident very seriously, and I intend on Monday to turn to the UN Secretary General with a very strong complaint. I will ask him to come to the necessary conclusions regarding UNRWA, to check the incident and establish a serious committee of inquiry that will get to the bottom of this thing. It is unacceptable that the UN, which is supposed to further the goals of peace, will turn into a shelter for murderers," Gillerman said.

Gillerman also called Hansen "anti-Israeli," Israel Radio reported.

UN officials said Saturday they are investigating the claim by the Israeli military that Palestinian terrorists transported a rocket in a vehicle with UN markings, but accused Israel of having made false allegations in the past.

On Friday, the IDF released video footage taken from an unmanned aircraft, or drone, flying over the Jebalya refugee camp. The blurred black-and-white video showed three men walking toward the U.N. vehicle, including one who carried an elongated object. The army said the object was a rocket.

Peter Hansen, the head of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), said Saturday that "we are doing our best to see what the basis for the allegations is," and that UN ambulance drivers were being questioned. The UNRWA is an agency which assists Palestinian refugees in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Speaking to The Jerusalem Post on Saturday, Hansen said he was on his way to Jerusalem hopefully to be able to see higher resolution footage of the incident. He added that he has instigated an investigation of all ambulance drivers and orderlies. "This won't be the first time false allegations have been made against us. Everyone who has seen the footage has told me the object looks more like a folded-up stretcher than anything else. Especially since it was being carried with one hand. A Kassam rocket would be too heavy for a man to carry with one hand.

"Unless we are talking about Goliath, (he) could hardly carry a Kassam rocket as a light object in one hand," Hansen told The Associated Press.

According to the IDF website, the Kassam rocket is about 2 meters long and weighs on average 5.5 KG (about 12 pounds).

"This is not the first time that we have allegations that turn out to be false or rather (are) based on very, very insufficient evidence," he said.

Israel has accused terrorists of using U.N. vehicles and offices to launch attacks. Israel has also accused UNRWA officials of turning a blind eye to terrorist activities in their vicinity, and of bias against Israel.

Israel uses drones to monitor activities in the crowded Gaza refugee camps. The footage provides soldiers and pilots real-time pictures of what is happening on the ground.

Friday's footage was released while the army launched a wide scale operation in the Jebalya refugee camp and nearby towns in an attempt to halt Palestinian rocket attacks on towns in Israel. Those rocket attacks killed two Israeli preschoolers Wednesday.

To watch the IDF's footage of the incident, click here: http://www1.idf.il/SIP_STORAGE/DOVER/files/7/34147.wmv

seriously, you think im just making this up? its okay tho, its good you ask for a source.

Really, as to what to do with the UN- Leave it and start a new international body, with an exclusive membership- criteria for membership can at least begin with an active election process. And a fundamental requirement for it's continued existance is compliance with international law FOR ALL ITS MEMBERS NOT JUST THE SMALLEST AND MOST JEWISH.

Dao- Obviously, i havent stopped you from posting on political threads.

Comment

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

War is a loser's game. No one wins. People are killed by those who kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108
        seriously, you think im just making this up? its okay tho, its good you ask for a source.
        lol, no i didn't think you were making it up, but someone doesn't need to look very far to find some pretty crazy ideas. this is pretty convincing, though.

Really, as to what to do with the UN- Leave it and start a new international body, with an exclusive membership- criteria for membership can at least begin with an active election process. And a fundamental requirement for it's continued existance is compliance with international law FOR ALL ITS MEMBERS NOT JUST THE SMALLEST AND MOST JEWISH.
        what countries would be in this international body? U.N. or no U.N., we are going to need the intelligence and cooperation of russia, france, germany and the like. the U.N. is a tool for its member countries to pressure its other member countries into helping each other out. it's not like kofi annan is calling the shots for the world. it takes the stances it takes because those are the stances its member countries take. it wouldn't accomplish anything but to scare the world ****less for us to try to create a new body. we just need to take advantage of the tools that are already in place.

Originally posted by Asger
        War is a loser's game. No one wins. People are killed by those who kill them.
        lessee. if nobody won the war of independence, it would be the same difference if the U.S. was still owned by the british empire. if nobody won world war II, it would be the same difference if the world was under control of hitler the nazi party right now. people die but in the end someone wins. the consequences of war extend far beyond the scope of the deaths directly caused by the war, which is why it's worth risking those lives sometimes.

Comment

4 More years baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All you lefty's can eat my shorts!

Comment

what countries would be in this international body? Again, countries with active, real elections. The UN has failed in the worst imaginable way by letting the worst violators of human rights today use a guise of human rights-advocacy in order to fight against human rights.

Create a new body of nations, exclusive to nations that treat people like people. Dictatorships like Cuba, Lybia, Syria, Saudi Arabia, on and on and on... should have no say in an international body devoted to the opposite of what dictatorship and religious totalitarianism is. More importantly, since no country is perfect, PUNISH AND HOLD ACCOUNTABLE THE VIOLATORS OF THESE STANDARDS, STARTING WITH THE WORST VIOLATORS NOT THE MOST MILD.

Oh, and **** the PLO.

By the way, congratulations to America for voting in a president who is good for America, and not Eurabia.

Speaking of Eurabia...

Theo van Gogh, Dutch filmmaker and writer who recently made television film critical of Islam, is shot and stabbed to death on Amsterdam street; photos; police arrest Moroccan man in crime that shocks country already concerned about largescale Muslim immigration; van Gogh, 47, received death threats over film Submission, which he made with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Somali-born woman who is now member of parliament; two have criticized conservative Muslim clerics and film tells stories of four Muslim women abused by men; Hirsi Ali has had police protection for two years (M)

Comment

i'm sorry my friend, but the fact that a country has an active, real election does not make it sympathetic to our cause, or to israel's. again, my point is that we need the cooperation of "eurabia", as you put it, to save our own asses. to alienate them is to demonstrate a complete misunderstanding of the nature of the conflict we're in.

anyway, we'll see what happens.

Comment

Elections are the most outright sign of democracy a country can hope to at least start off with. Obviously, there is much more needed than simply to say democracy-only, but its a start. with the Europeans, to some degree, we can talk to and eventually i think all this **** will pass. but with many current members of the UN, i really dont think theres anything we can really have a serious engagement with until they change (or are overthrown).

They dont have to be sympathetic to "our cause", but they should at least be at the same level as far as certain political standards. I'm not saying bar Europe---i'm saying Bar dictatorships and totalitarian governments. If we need co-operation of certain countries to save our asses, fine. no problem. what we dont need is to corrupt outselves further by appeasing tyrants. you dont try to negotiate with terrorists, you hunt them down and kill them. Same with corrupt, fascist empires like Saudi-Arabia.
                Last edited by dogchow108; 11-03-2004, 05:54 PM.

Comment

appeasing tyrants and appeasing countries (and bodies like the U.N.) who appease tyrants are two very different things. one is very clearly wrong and cowardly. one is a fact of life in the world of intelligence, and in today's world, necessary for survival.
                  Last edited by zachsan; 11-03-2004, 06:11 PM.

Comment

What im basically saying is, the countries in this world who are free countries should start to behave like them, and start to treat other free countries as such. In the chambers of the UN, dictatorships have decided for long enough what the fate of free people in this world will be.

Comment

think they could maybe use a few more troops over there?

Comment

Of course Israel is light years ahead of it's neighbors in terms of human rights, that doesn't mean it is immune from criticism. You can support Israel and not support Likud. In fact, most israelis don't support them. Also, say your pro-bush yet you call Saudi arabia a corrupt terrorist regime which it definately is. 15 of the 19 hijackers were from there and the trillions they've made from oil goes through mosques to terrorrists. and yet they are an ally of the US and Bush in particular. Saddam Husseins checks to terrorists probably accounted for a fraction of the terrorists money. The saudis account for far far more. BUt saudi arabia is "friendly". Saddam Hussein was "a menace".
                        "I'm like Tupac: Who can stop me?"

Comment

Thats a good point, lester. And i agree with you that the US is in bed with the Saudis. Thats just my point tho. the US needs to get these guys' dicks out of its ass (and thus their clutches off its balls) and start living by its own standards as well. Again, though some communication is necessary for possible future compromize, that is far from saying that the corrupt relationships today are fine, and like i said a million times, these countries should not have a say in major decisions that affect the free world. (and just as a note, saddams "little" money did something more than important than compensate, it motivated).

As far as Israel, of course i know its far from perfect, and where we Israelis have flawed, we should be held accountable. What i dont like is not holding in account countries like Lybia (and in fact rewarding them by letting them head the human rights committee) and at the same time having the ICJ exhaust itself with an obsession over Israel's "treatment" of poor vicimized terrorists. Criticism of Israel is necessary, not just fair. what is unfair is blasting it the way the UN and affiliates does, unproportionately, unfairly, and intentionally, while telling the wolves that they are the lambs. Israel has handled a unique situation far better than i think any other country has or could. we could be doing a LOT, LOT worse but we dont. our reward? we're pretty much a pariah state and are talked about as the "prime violators of human rights in the world". gimme a break.

Also, you can not like the likud (i personally dont but given the "hawk" sharon is supposed to be you cant say he sint being flexible), but notice how many parties have already gone through just ONE palestinian "leader". All of them either had to change the way they do things or were asassinated for succeeding(if you count OSLO as a "success"). this is not because there's no solution, its very simply because you cant negotiate with someone who wants you killed and replaced. Again, my argument that we can no longer allow them to use our rules in order to replace our rules with theirs. PERIOD. and the UN is guilty, guilty, guilty and MORE GUILTY of that.

Comment

Thanks to Uwe for this:

Ethnic violence hits China region

Martial law has been imposed in parts of the Chinese province of Henan (Shaolin is in Henan province: doc) after ethnic clashes in which at least seven people were killed.
                            More than 40 people were also injured in the violence, and 18 were arrested, China's Xinhua news agency reported.

The clashes were between members of China's majority Han community and the Muslim Hui ethnic group.

Residents are quoted as saying that houses were set alight, and people were fighting using farm tools.

Xinhua did not say that the clash was between Hui and the Han people. China's ruling Communist Party, which keeps strict control over the media, plays down any reports of ethnic tensions, out of fear of social disorder.

Neither is it clear exactly what triggered the violence.

But it appears to be the worst incident between the Hui and Han people in several years.

'So afraid'

According to Xinhua, the violence started on 27 October when Mr Lu, from Nanren village, began a fight with Mr Liu, from nearby Nanwei village.

The fight was allegedly about a traffic accident, which according to a separate report in the New York Times involved a Hui taxi driver running over a 6-year-old Han girl.

After the fight, several Nanren villagers rushed to Mr Liu's home and assaulted him and his family, Xinhua said.

Then residents of both villages assembled and resumed the battle.

"One villager was beaten to death on the spot and two died in the hospital one day later," Xinhua said.

The news agency did not say how the other deaths occurred.

According to witness statements, several houses were burned down during the violence, and a brick factory was destroyed, as the rival groups fought each other with sticks.

"People were so afraid," one witness told Reuters. "No-one dared to go to work or go outside. Even the transport has been stopped."

Villagers contacted by the BBC said hundreds of riot police had been drafted into the area and a news blackout imposed.

Correspondents say clashes between the Han, who make up the vast majority of China's population, and the 8.5m-strong Hui minority are not common.

But tensions may have been exacerbated by China's economic success, which has seen a growing gap between rich and poor. (emphasis mine:doc)

And there has been a general increase in unrest in rural areas fuelled by dissatisfaction over poverty and corruption, correspondents say.

FYI:

HUI MINORITY
                            Mainly descendants of 13th century C Asian immigrants
                            8.5m-strong, third largest of China's 55 minorities
                            Widely dispersed across China, look and speak like majority Han
                            Islam central to identity

Story from BBC NEWS:
                            BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                            russbo.com

Comment

desperately....holding back....comments....

Comment

Don't hold back.

The "differences" between China's Muslim's and the Han population are quite prevalent, though it is rare that it receives news attention. (It's usually "dealt with" and blocked from publication). Terrorist activities do occur in China; the inhabitants of XinJiang provinces sometimes cause problems as far as Beijing.
                                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                                russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X