• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wendy's ... Finger Licking Good?

Finger mishap has Wendy's customer fuming

By Dan Reed

Mercury News

Finding a finger in a bowl of Wendy's chili is a surprise. Hiring a lawyer after biting into it is not.

Anna Ayala, the 39-year-old Las Vegas woman who had the culinary misfortune of chomping on the tip of a human finger at a San Jose Wendy's on Tuesday evening, told her newly retained lawyer she's still nauseous, off her feed and sleepless.

And she wants Wendy's to make it right.

``All I can say is she has suffered tremendously,'' Jeffrey Janoff, a San Jose attorney, said Friday. ``People are making jokes about this, but this is a really serious thing. How many people have bitten into human flesh? It's revolting.''

Revolting? Former fans of Wendy's cuisine seem to agree. The chain reports business is off sharply, especially at the Monterey Highway outlet that served the finger-added recipe, but also throughout Northern California, where the story has received intensive media coverage.

``These types of sales drops you don't recover from quickly,'' Wendy's spokesman Denny Lynch said Friday. He declined to provide specifics.

Meanwhile, the hunt for the former owner of the finger -- that would be a person missing about an inch and a half of a digit -- continues. Capt. Bob Dixon of the Santa Clara County coroner's office said Friday the crime lab has completed the first part of attempting to lift a usable fingerprint from it.

The idea, he said, is to run the print through a database and try to match it to its owner.

Then, one would imagine, there would be many, many questions. Such as, did you know we had your finger? Why was Wendy's serving your finger in its chili? Do you want your finger back?

Dixon also said that so far it's impossible to tell whether the finger was cooked along with the main batch of chili or somehow dropped into the serving cup afterward. The lab is going to try to determine if there's some kind of test to figure that out.

No one is suggesting it was a con, such as the old scams like putting a bug in food or a mouse in a soda bottle to try to get money.

For Ayala's part, she was repulsed by the suggestion that anyone would intentionally put the finger in the chili to try to scam the fast-food chain.

``That is very sick, sick, sick,'' she said. "It's disgusting. You're playing with the human race.''

She still flinches at the memory of the cannibalistic mishap, which occurred when she was at the Monterey Highway eatery preparing to drop off her in-laws after a trip to Mexico.

``It's a taste I have never tasted in my whole life,'' she said.

While the county continues to track the ingredients Wendy's used in its chili to find the source of the finger, the fast-food outfit's representatives said they believe it didn't come from them.

``We contacted each one of our suppliers that provide ingredients for chili, and each one of them told us they have had no employee accidents involving the fingers or hand,'' said Denny Lynch.
    Attached Files
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

I heard about that.....

sick...
    practice wu de

Comment

Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum. Delicioso!
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

She's from Vegas? My first suspicion is that she found this fingertip somewhere, and put it her bowl.

Too many scam artists there. The outcome of this will be interesting.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Either way she is going to be payed.
          practice wu de

Comment

Originally posted by doc
            She's from Vegas? My first suspicion is that she found this fingertip somewhere, and put it her bowl.

Where do you find a fingertip to plant in Wendy's Chili?
            They said on the news, the fingertip seems to have been cooked in the chili. If the police can get the print from the tip to a the person it belonged to, now that will be interesting.
            I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
            "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
            "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
            "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Then we'll find out that Dave was done in in a quick and bloddy coup, by none other than thr Russbo underworld.

How many warnings do I get if I get found guilty?

-edit-

This is not a confession. Merely a hypothetical situation. You know, for laughs. Heh...heh...
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Come on, Steve! Like you don't have any fingers laying around the old apt?

g
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

she got the finger.
                  "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

she got fingered,
                    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I'm sure the situation is well in hand.

I think this was an inside job. Morbid as this is, I was thinking about "where would someone get a finger?" and really, probably any one of us knows someone who knows someone who works in a hospital or a morgue or something...

_________
                      Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
                      The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
                      Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.
                      _________
                      Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

donnie, yer outta yer element.

Comment

----------
                          Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Originally posted by doc

LOL, that's what I said. Too predictable...

From MSNBC:
                            The woman who claims she bit into a human finger while eating chili at a Wendy’s restaurant has a history of filing lawsuits — including a claim against another fast-food restaurant.

Anna Ayala, 39, who hired a San Jose, Calif., attorney to represent her in the Wendy’s case, has been involved in at least half a dozen legal battles in the San Francisco Bay area, according to court records.

She brought a suit against an ex-boss in 1998 for sexual harassment and sued an auto dealership in 2000, alleging the wheel fell off her car. That suit was dismissed after Ayala fired her lawyer, who said she had threatened him.

The case against her former employer was settled in arbitration in June 2002, but it was not known whether she received any money.

Speaking through the front door of her Las Vegas home Friday, Ayala claimed police are out to get her and were unnecessarily rough as they executed a search warrant at her home on Wednesday.

“Lies, lies, lies, that’s all I am hearing,” she said. “They should look at Wendy’s. What are they hiding? Why are we being victimized again and again?”

Ayala acknowledged, however, that her family received a settlement for their medical expenses about a year ago after reporting that her daughter, Genesis, got sick from food at an El Pollo Loco restaurant in Las Vegas.
                            Wonder if Steve knows her from church. No doubt we'll be seeing Genesis there one day....
                            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                            russbo.com

Comment

I heard this on the news this morning...

lol, wacko's the whole lot of them.
                              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                              X