the mma conditioning regime for 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the mma conditioning regime for 2005

Okay, so I have the workout plan for next yr gearing toward the ring. This is one time I'm even going to invite your critism because it's a little on the heavy side and I'm just a little cautious of overtraining. I have decided to go ahead with my plans for the ring and I don't think I can really afford to make too many mistakes.

So here it is :

qigong on rising 15mins
    interchange between days either 30 mins aerobics or
    3 km run each day followed by hiit in the park / football field as follows

sprint 1 length
    explosive but grounded knee ups to 1st marker
    50 pushups
    sprint to 2nd marker
    50 squats
    rounds to 3rd marker
    jump knees x 50
    cranes x 50
    side kicks to 4th marker
    100 varied abs each repeat ( cruches / reverse crunches / reverse obliques/ frontal obliques )
    chin ups / pullups ( if bar available ) x 25
    tricep dips x 30

repeat whole regime x 5

sitting qigong or quick brocade set before light jog home ( though by then will probably want to sprint)

Then I have master fitness trainers course maybe even 7 days a week where a alot of our work is practical ands in the gym so godknows what or how much??? They also have a great gym, so looking at doing 1 1/2 hrs each day with weights working different groups but see where and how I feel after the rest of the plan. I think I'm planning to mainly focus on weighted cable / pulley plyos / neck conditioning/ shoulder presses / dumbbells flys / benches / and my leg presses just because I like them . Also working a [plan for adding an ankle cable to a few select kicks, but waiting to hear from someone who's used a similar plan in tkd prep......

Being my course is in town and near the dojo I plan to play in, I'll probably stick around and eat something, and relax a bit before the ma sess ( which will likely last from between 1 1/2 - 3 hrs maybe 3-4 x week. On the nights I'm not doing that I'll go to dancing for the same time.

I love my 1 hr or so pilates and it's usually just how I unwind and I'm getting a new ab machine, so I want to play with that each night aswell. At least it's a good excuse to weatch some television anyway right ?? :P

I assume I'll clock up abot 45 mins of walking throughout the day from place to placve and some of that might end up stair runs..... I kind of have a habit of doing that.

This is the short version of what I originally had by and hour and a half, but realistically, though I'll love every minute of it and can feel my supplement bill increasing I still think it's too much.

Suggestions ??

Oh and if anyone has one of their own , feel free to share

cheers

Blooming Lotus

x5? As in 5 times a day? You're going to run 15 km each day?! Or did you just mean the pullups and sprints thing?
    Anyway, I read somewhere that the Olympic boxer champ pushed around a big ol caddy and would sprint a whiles and then hit the bag for a minute, and he would do this like 10 times. Sounds like a great workout for the ring to me. But you already have a hard schedule it looks like...

I can't critique because I have never done anything like that/never trained that hard.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I had another on this, and I realised that besides whatever I got in class, I was missing bag work. ( slaps forehead and rolleyes @self) I love my bag work and I think shin conditioning is going to be important aswell. There's also my bwe s that I didn't quite cover in hiit programme , so I guess it's all still in a rehash ............

Where are the loud mouths screaming at me about overtraining when you need them anyway???? I think nutrition , adequate sleep and fluids is going tro me through, but I'll let you know what I end up with.

Is there anything important I'm missing I should trade something off for???

Oh and still feel free to post your own 05 plans aswell.

You do have plans right????

cheers

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Its doable.

good luck.

Comment

05 plans-

train hard. Get more cardio in. Train regularly. Meditate a helluva lot more.

Comment

BL:
            My recommendation is to save some of that energy for your martial arts sessions, which I'll assume is some sort of grappling class. The good thing about ground wrestling is that it seems a lot less prone to injury, compared to something like judo or sparring in a kickboxing class. Therefore, you should save that energy for rolling and really getting your technique down pat.

My goals:
            I'll be joining a boxing gym after winter break so that will pretty much fill my plate out: Aikido, boxing, shaolin self-practice, and occasional judo practice. I'll be heading out to shaolin this August for some more fun. Hopefully this year will have a little less injury.
            -Jesse Pasleytm
            "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

I want to try a BJJ or another grappling/wrestling style, but there are no good schools or anything around these parts.

Comment

Where is Santa Maria? I know there has to be a bunch of schools in CA. You can try asking at bullshido or kung fu magazine.
                practice wu de

Comment

California is famous for good schools...in the Bay Area and LA. That's it.

I made this badass picture on Paint, but the image was too big to upload and I don't really feel like shrinking it. Besides, I think I messed up my programs when I was scanning/quarentining my files.

Basically, it's the place where Michael Jackson's trial is. Central California, Santa Barbara County, 4 hours from the Bay Area, and 3 hours from LA.

Comment

blooming tianshi lotus

You want to compete in san shou, right?

Disclaimer: I don't fight full contact nor do I train anyone to do full contact.

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
                    qigong on rising 15mins
                    Is the qigong you do going to gently take all limbs thru their entire range of motion?

interchange between days either 30 mins aerobics or
                    3 km run each day followed by hiit in the park / football field as follows

sprint 1 length
                    explosive but grounded knee ups to 1st marker
                    50 pushups
                    sprint to 2nd marker
                    50 squats
                    rounds to 3rd marker
                    jump knees x 50
                    cranes x 50
                    side kicks to 4th marker
                    100 varied abs each repeat ( cruches / reverse crunches / reverse obliques/ frontal obliques )
                    chin ups / pullups ( if bar available ) x 25
                    tricep dips x 30

repeat whole regime x 5

sitting qigong or quick brocade set before light jog home ( though by then will probably want to sprint)
                    Very solid. You've got endurance and interval training.

Personally, I would skip anything that isn't running or sprinting. The strengthening exercises, I'd do at the end of the day when the body is shot.

Is the running surface soft? Make sure you've got the absolute best running shoes you can afford. Stretch the calves like crazy. Sprinting will tighten them up which will play hell when you bounce around to spar.

Then I have master fitness trainers course maybe even 7 days a week where a alot of our work is practical ands in the gym so godknows what or how much??? They also have a great gym, so looking at doing 1 1/2 hrs each day with weights working different groups but see where and how I feel after the rest of the plan. I think I'm planning to mainly focus on weighted cable / pulley plyos / neck conditioning/ shoulder presses / dumbbells flys / benches / and my leg presses just because I like them . Also working a [plan for adding an ankle cable to a few select kicks, but waiting to hear from someone who's used a similar plan in tkd prep......
                    Personally, I'd want to do weights at the end of the day. If your schedule doesn't allow this, then so be it.

I'd also avoid kicking with any extra weight attached to the leg.

Being my course is in town and near the dojo I plan to play in, I'll probably stick around and eat something, and relax a bit before the ma sess ( which will likely last from between 1 1/2 - 3 hrs maybe 3-4 x week. On the nights I'm not doing that I'll go to dancing for the same time.
                    Please give some details as to what the ma sessions will involve.

I love my 1 hr or so pilates and it's usually just how I unwind and I'm getting a new ab machine, so I want to play with that each night aswell. At least it's a good excuse to weatch some television anyway right ?? :P
                    You can never work the abs enough. Pilates is a range of motion exercise, right?

I assume I'll clock up abot 45 mins of walking throughout the day from place to placve and some of that might end up stair runs..... I kind of have a habit of doing that.
                    I'd be careful of running stairs on the spur of the moment with little warm up and perhaps non running shoes.

This is the short version

This is the short version!?

Can you add up the amount of activity vs amount of non activity vs amount of sleep? Its a pretty intense program. You may be at risk for overtraining or overuse injuries. But I don't know.

Have you joined the mma.tv forum I suggested? Run it by the Kickboxing forum and the Strength and Conditioning forum and see what they have to say.

can feel my supplement bill increasing I still think it's too much.

Suggestions ??
                    I'm not a big fan of supplements. I take vitamin C and E and that's it. The other stuff is, AFAIK, unregulated and poorly studied.

This may be too heavy on the aerobics and I'm afraid the ma training may miss something. I won't know till you tell us what your ma sessions will include.

Oh and if anyone has one of their own , feel free to share
                    -maintain skills I've got with the following:
                    3 days swim 1k for endurance
                    1 day 9 rounds on heavy bag or focus mitts (3 hands only, 3 legs only, 3 mixed)
                    1 day spar, striking only
                    1 day wrestle
                    1 day drill takedowns
                    perform 15-30 reps of kata a week
                    lift weights 2-3 times a week
                    -keep all the old injuries under control
                    -improve takedowns
                    -improve grappling
                    -improve bobbing and weaving
                    -merge striking/takedowns/submissions into one sparring session
                    -increase level of contact (got boxing headgear for Christmas, gotta put it to use)
                    -generate work out partners at work
                    -take lifeguard course so I can finally change swimming workout (I don't know if I want to increase distance or increase speed or incorporate paddles/kickboards or all of the above)
                    -train with Scott Sonnon's clubbell method 2x a week, maybe standard weight training 1x a week
                    -incorporate Sonnon's intermediate level range of motion training

Mark
                    Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

I would love to work out with you two. I like how you incorporated swimming into your regimen, Mark. Swimming is sweet...feels so good.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
                        I would love to work out with you two. I like how you incorporated swimming into your regimen, Mark. Swimming is sweet...feels so good.
                        The big thing I like about swimming is it doesn't tighten up my back like running did. I think its given me more endurance when wrestling, but am not sure.

Unfortunately, running gives the legs a much better workout. I've found I had to add extra leg work to make up the shortfall.

Its far from a big problem, just a bit of a surprise.

Mark
                        Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

Swimming is like a whole body workout, but yeah, it isn't really big on any muscle group, besides the heart. Plus it's low impact, so there is another plus.

Comment

the qigong is sometimes traded off for some brocades or taiji and the stretching over that full rom in unison with internal cultivation is really why I do it. Feels awesome to a body that works hard. Nice joint / tendon releases etc..... love it. Pilates isn't a particular exercise so much as it is a type of exercise. I know you'll feel this because of the comment about working abs, but pilates is really about "core" strength and "setting" or settling the rest of your body to most comfortably work with it. It also in the process of taking you through roms that you probably never would've considered prior, and stretching you in ways that you again lkely wouldn't have come up with youirself, it just teaches you soo soo much about your body and for someone who has trained hard for a decent time, something that can really make you feel it ( even if it's only that release I spoke about) is an awesome thing you'll not want to do without once you've experinced. Iff you haven't already tried it out, I recommend giving yourself a good 30 days. If you don't love it and feel stronger and in less "pain" post recovery and have better posture and rom when tyou re-hit your other programme, drop it nd forget I mentioned it. I proably recommend a dvd at home early of a morning though. Great way to start your day ..........

I understand what your saying about strength training preferabley at night and for ages I usually have wound up my dys with an hour or houir and a half of bwe and then some isos and stretches for anything up to 2 hrs or so. I don't think on this new schedule it's going to be so feasible for me to do that, but I just read an interview with Frank Shamrock ( who I think I is a great all round package of body and skill btw ) and he's splitting his own training into 3 sections throughout the day being cardio and endurance / strength and then honing his skills of night. There's only so much instruction I'm going to be able get in but I think the right conditioning is more than half the challenge...... to me making it an intellectual challenge aswell....so I'm digging that.

I've decided to go with bjj ( and I'll check in with you all in soon for a good argument on machado vs gracie ) but I'm also going to take some karate although which karate is still in the pipeline. As you all know, the tradgedy of the recent tsunami has really knocked thailand into some kaos and I don't know how good of a decision it's going to be for me head over there. I will look at other training venues and teachers though and even Vancouver through CA is now sometrhing I'm looking at. My fiance won't have his english police law component done for his licence in the weast until July anyway, so for now that gives me 6 solid mths before I need to make a decision. No doubt I'll let you know what I come up with and maybe even see some of you in my travels

Juzszec: When you work out so much, I guess you're practically always well warmed from rising till bed and my stair runs are great. I guess I just have energy to burn............ If I'm walking though I'm crounching into a stance or half squat of some sort ( providing there's no good looking men or easily spooked old women around to wonder what the hell I'm doing :P ) ...... and I think I've read articles from shaolin monks and disciples before who've said they do the same. For some of us, we maximise use of our bodies throughout oour whoe day and it's nothing special so much as a habit you fall into. Like sitting in slouch vs sitting with good posture and adding an occasional stretch. I've heard it called "greasing the groove " before and to me it just sounded appropriate. I guess that's why I dance. I still have some left over and the more you use the more get....... crazy stuff no

Just did a good chat with my local sport shoe salesmen and I think I'm covered. Really I just live in either nikes or feiyues and unless it's a fancy frock and heels ...that's the wardrobe 85 % of the time........... but I was looking at 2 different pairs of nikes and nearly took the cheaper pair, but your right..... it's silly to comprimise on in it so cheers

On kicking with weights, I think what I'm really talking about is knees with an ankle pulley strap attatched and I can't be sure that that really wide nautilous you do pulleyed flys off isn't going to give me a good load on my deep internal tendons and smaller muscles which would really the point. It's still new to me though and nxt week when I hit that AIF college gym, I'll run it past both the class and instructors. I'll let you know how chats go but if you have anything to add, feel free. I think if I do it right, it's going to give me the edge. I'll let you know when puddings done

cheers for your input and I'll keep you all posted as it solidifies.

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Working...
                            X