Lucid dreaming and the possibilites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucid dreaming and the possibilites

Does anyone have the ability to lucid dream? I have an idea regarding the possiblities made possible by lucid dreaming. The ability to control dreams allows for the practicing of skills and acquiring new talents and abilities. While it may not be as effective as actually practicing the skill, it still is worth pursuing. Now imagine if by using the ability to control your dreams, you could also warp the time of the dreams. Say make an hour of R.E.M. sleep feel like ten years. Imagine ten years of mental training all fit into an hour. I wonder if your mind could actually handle that? It could become distorted, especially if you experienced ten years in great depth. Might be too much of a difference from the dream world and the waking world. Of course, still using the skill to control dream time, you could alter the ten years into an hour or maybe ten minutes by speeding up the amount you experience at one time. I wonder if you could do a skill like imagination or something abstract like creativity. Could it be possible to improve these skills through lucid dreaming? What if you could meditate in a dream? What if you could mentally picture yourself meditating in a dream? What if you could dream that you are mentally picturing yourself meditating in a dream? What if you could dream that you are dreaming a dream in which you are mentally picturing yourself meditating? What if you could mentally picture yourself dreaming a dream in which you are mentally picturing yourself meditating while in a dream(ad ifinitum)? Do you see the possiblities?
    I'm currently working on trying to obtain the ability to lucid dream to research the possiblities and share my results with others. If anyone could assist I would be greatly appreciative. Hey, I could even increase the amount of gravity in my dream(see Shaolin Training: Gravity training post) to practice in say 1000 G's for hundred's of years fit into an hour. Maybe my mind is to twisted already and I should quit while I'm ahead and still have my head.
    Wasiqi is crazy
    44.44%
    Wasiqi is a genius
    22.22%
    Wasiqi is neither
    11.11%
    Wasiqi is a crazy genius
    22.22%

man u should be thinking about training with GALS when ur dreaming - isnt that lucid enough?

dave
    simple and natural is my method,
    true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

Ah ha!

Yes, that would be a possiblity. I'll have to put some more research into it.

Comment

I have lucid dreams about half the time that I remember having a dream. But i've never tried training gongfu or meditating when i realized i was dreaming. I'm usually content to just fly around. But i suppose that's a sort of meditation in itself, because i don't think when i fly, i just am. Maybe I'll start teaching myself more jeet kune do next time I have one.

Incidentally, its alot tougher to abstain from sexual activity in a dream than it is in your waking life.
        But it is possible with some restraint and lucidity.

Also, one easy way to find out that your dreaming is to flick a lightswitch if you see one nearby. You see, one of the few things you can't do in a dream is consciously adjust light levels, therefore if you flick a lightswitch and you can't change whether or not the lights are on or off, you're probably dreaming. Another dead give away is when you're conversing with people or pets who are dead in your waking life. Also, the inability to read small printed material or digital clocks is a good indication you're dreaming. Either that or you need to head to an opthamologist.

The key to lucid dreaming is realizing that you're dreaming. And its not like you can always simply say, ok I'm in a dream, I'm going to do this now. You usually have to resolve what's happening when you first realize you're dreaming before you can do something else. Sometimes that resolution is as simple as flying away.

If you want to see something funny, when you're lucid ask one of your dream characters what it's like to be a character in your dream. Then see if you can identify there reaction. Because its usually a question they can't answer, so they act like you never said anything.

I hope that helps. Have some lucid fun now.
        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I'm going to go back to bed.

I can see I've been missing out on a few things.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

I could never get anywhere near that depth in my dreams. I think I've only had 2 or 3 dreams in my whole life where I realized I was dreaming. and I hardly ever remember any of my dreams anyway.
            "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

daodejing, i also lucid dream about half the time i remember my dreams. i don't usually realize they're lucid by any kind of test of my environment, but it just kinda dawns on me, and then i mess around with people.

one time i do recall actually having a conversation with one of my dream characters about exactly what you suggested, what it was like to be nothing but a character in my dream. they very simply stated that, since they were in a dream to begin with, there was no difference between being in a dream and being in reality for them. it occurred to me that that was a very insightful thought, and so i turned him into a chicken, if i remember correctly.

flying around, turning people into chickens and flipping monsters on their heads is all so much more fun than learning aikido, i think.

- zach

Comment

Thay Nhat Hanh (Thich Nhat Hanh) once mentioned that we've got so much going on during the day; who's got time to waste while we sleep. It's definitely an interesting thought.

I am one to say that I have done and practiced lucid dreaming. However, when I was a monk, I began to dream less and less. When you start to train the mind spritually, it has this strange tendency to start running in a more efficient way. Dreaming, IMHO, uses up a lot of energy, and when I, personally have a lot of dreams in a consistent manner, I tend to feel very tired throughout my waking hours.

The interesting thing about lucid dreaming is that even if you wake up in your dream, you're still dreaming. Think about that.
                "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Assuming we agree that lucid dreaming means that one realizes one is dreaming, and by realizing that you are in a dream you can control that dream, perhaps we should be trying lucid living. Which is to say, catch yourself and ask "Hey man, is this life? Am I living?" and by realizing that you are alive, and this is life, you can control it. So I'm just aiming for lucidity in both my sleeping and waking life.
                  Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

i once dreamt i was a butterfly with no thought of being a man. when i woke i wondered if i was a man who dreamt of being a butterfly or if i am now a butterfly dreaming i am a man.

hell i dream about being at work and WISH i could wake up!

Comment

fa hui - you're very right to feel that way, the states of sleep at which you're dreaming are usually in between the first stages and actual deep, restful sleep.

- zach

Comment

I do not usually feel as well rested when I can remember my dreams of feel I just woke up from a dream.
                        Nothing is more frightening than ignorance in action - Goethe

Comment

Lucid dreaming occurs during stage 3, REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, a stage which gets longer and longer as the night wears on. It is during this period that you are in a fairly deep sleep, predominantly with alpha brain waves (which gives you the sensation of color), and, with a generalized muscle paralysis (which, can give you that sensation of being unable to move, if you wake up during this). This stage gets longer each time you cycle in and out of it, as the night goes on. If you awake towards the end of this stage, you'll remember the dream that was occurring. almost to the point where you can "think" that you were living in it.

Stage four, the deepest sleep during which brain hormones are released, diminishes with age, and seems to be at its highest in frequency, during adolescent years. It is a dreamless stage of sleep.
                          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                          russbo.com

Comment

Explore the legitimacy of Credit Fresh. Unravel the truth for informed decisions on your financial journey with Credit Fresh. Discover many more Creations!

Simplify the activation process for your Bank of America Plasma Loyalty Card effortlessly. Explore easy steps for quick access and benefits.

Profilehttps://www.napavas.com/profile/alenaghose01/profileNapavas Producthttps://static.wixstatic.com/media/7d0dac_2a0f7f4aaec640239a0b0ffaf8789981%7Emv2.jpg

This is a member's profile. Set your vibrant and thriving mobile online community or social network with the iOS and Android apps for SocialEngine, developed by SocialEngineAddOns. This demo community is for showcasing the mobile apps built by SocialEngineAddOns. Try out our demo apps, and get a feel of how you too can get your community mobile with our products.

Get a boost in your SEO rankings by submitting your listing for free on Top Listing Site. Our site connects you with high-authority websites to help increase your online visibility and drive traffic to your site. Start now and get quality backlinks for free.

Hey hustlers! Need financial wisdom? accountiod's got your back for all things accounting, tax, and bookkeeping. Dive in for solutions and conquer the money game!

Comment

Working...
                            X