Some good books to read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some good books to read?

Hey everyone, I wwas just wondering what some people would consider their "favourite" books, or books they might recommend that are a good read. Durring my stay in china I want to read atleast 1 book so if anyone has any suggestions on ANY type of book, not so much about practising kung-fu and its enlightenment or anything like, but something more inspirational or thought provoking. I'll leave this one in the air and hopefully get a couple good responses....(Im not sure how many of u actually read but hey,. its worth a shot asking)

any ideas

What kind of books were you thinking about reading?? What are your interests? History? Religion? Supernatural? Love? Nah, don't read love books in Shaolin. What region of the world are you interested in?
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

The Shaolin monk said to the girl, "I can't love you, I'm a monk." And the monk flew away on his cloud.

That is how they all end. Good thing the love novels are only three or four pages long.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

hhmm...well im open to just about anything interesting and inspirational for my stay.

Romance?....f*ck that sh;t....if I wanted to be swept off my feet, Id go to an asian hooker!

but...I havent really read anything I have really enjoyed, mainly just school assigned novels, which are usually pretty boring and outdated.

to be honest...I really have no idea what I want to read, the more I think about it, the more i realise I have no idea.

I read part of this one book about a mentally retarded guy whom undergoes an experimental procedure which expands his memory capacity and ultimately, his intelligence....it was quite interesting as it was something of a "forest gump" narrative....where u see the world through his eyes and understand the thoughts going through his head from before the experiment and his development thereafter which was a very interesting read. Almost like following the mental growth of a 6 year old child in hyper motion as he starts to understand the world, but the smarter he gets and the more he thinks he understands, the more confused he gets as questions lead to answers which lead to more questions....I didnt finish this book (got about 3/4 of the way through) but I was surprised as to how well the book was written and the idea behind it. Very interesting.
        (I think the book was called flowers for algernon, or something like that, which the title doesnt sound too appealing, but someone recommended it to me and it was great)
        Other than that, I havent really read anything else on my own free will, of interest.

Im open to anything inspirational and enlightening so if anyone had any ideas im open to any.

Comment

It's easier to find an asian hooker than it is a good book.

I'm not one for inspirational and enlightening. However, one book comes to mind, and it's a doozey.
          Bid Time Return, by Richard Matheson.
          Good luck finding it. It's out of print, but it's an incredible work. The movie Somewhere in Time was based upon it. It's a favorite with people who are dealing with incipient death; though, that shouldn't stop you from reading it. Another good one from him was "I am Legend", which that very unique movie with Charleton Heston about the end of the world was based upon. One of the better from that era.

Matheson was an incredible writer. A guy who was responsible for many of the greater Twilight Zone episodes. I like a lot of what he's written.

Pierre Boule, though a frenchman, was a great writer also. Planet of the Apes and Bridge over the River Kwai are two favorites.

If you're interested in history, I've got a bunch. I read a lot of that, but, not many people get into that sort of stuff.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Read 'American Tabloid' by, uh, I forget....geez, it's the same guy who wrote LA Confidential.

Anyways, I felt physically tougher after reading that book, and I now have recurrent fantasies of drug-running and guns. Great book.
            -Jesse Pasleytm
            "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

if you can get a good translation all of lam sai wings books are great

wong kiew kits books are good if you want a broad and comprehensive understanding of chi kung and its integral role in shaolin gung fu and chan

yang jwing mings books are good for westerners, hes one of the first along with wkk to make comprehensive volumes about chi kung and kung fu in the west

there are lots of good books about kung fu, but it depends on your interest what you should read
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I am Legend, by Richard Mathesonwas, was his 3rd novel written in 1954, the story takes place in the future – 1976. Great if you love vampire stories. The Charleton Heston movie based on it was entitled Omega Man, 1971, but had no vampires.

Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes was originally a novella 1959 & expanded to full length in 1966. It was made into a movie simply entitled Charly, in ‘68.

Comment

Omega Man. That was the name. Kind of a weird movie, but, fitting considering the thought processes that were common in that era.

russbo.com

Comment

I'm going to throw one out there...and may get a bashing for it, but I really think Jack london's White Fang was a great little read. He has a wonderful way of both articulting and prolonging a good fight scene...of course, that is, through the eyes of a wolf. Anyhow, good book if you like a page turner that is full of nature, passion, the good and bad of mankind...etc..

be well,
                    g
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

i read only one book to which i was assigned in high school, "ender's game". which is a great book. my favorite book (from my very limited experience) is "neuromancer" by william gibson. drugs, sex, and a bleak vision of the future. gotta love it. not badly written, to boot.

another fun read is "fear and loathing in las vegas"... but neither of these books, come to think of it, will do much to put you in a shaolin frame of mind.

Comment

Ah, I just read Ender's Shadow. A good read, indeed.
                        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Some great suggestions. Thanx a lot, ill definitely check into a few of those titles. Fear and loathing is a sweet movie...but pretty much just somethin to watch when ur high....too many tripped out and drug related scenes...(what am i sayin the whole f*&$in book is about drugs lol...not necessarily a bad thing. but just not what Im lookin for. Ill try to respond to everyone I just dont have the time right now...got a class soon, so i will when i can.

till then....keep'em comin..

Comment

I'm reading "the Sword polisher's record" by Adam Hsu. A great gong fu book, a compilation of essays. You will gain a level by reading this tome.

also I'm reading "hominids", it's pretty cool; Neanderthal soceity succeeded in a parallel universe, and a Neanderthal physicist opens a portal between thier world and ours...
                            Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Working...
                            X