Russbo and the Chinese myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russbo and the Chinese myth

I got to say I'm constantly amazed at the stupid crap that comes from supposedly educated peoples IP addresses.

Specifically I'm speaking of the very common sweeping statements that people make about Chinese people. The board is littered with them so i won't even bother quoting... The fact is this site is media and the blatant bigotry found here is a little disgusting in my opinion.

So let me say this once: There are over 1 billion Chinese people. You have not met them all. You can not say they are all liars or cheats. That's the same as if i was to say that all Americans are egotistical concerning their culture, naive about the rest of the world, overweight and generally a little dim.

Sure, it may be true in my experience but hey, there may be one or two nice ones out there. I just haven't met them yet...

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ironically, your statement about Americans may not be true for ALL of us per se. But, it does seem to cover a significant majority. I've driven cross country 3 times and thats generally what I saw.
    The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Originally posted by renato
      That's the same as if i was to say that all Americans are egotistical concerning their culture, naive about the rest of the world, overweight and generally a little dim.
      Um, that pretty much describes us.

Well, in my case, I never said all. I have some very close Chinese friends who I love and respect dearly. But, they're few and far between.

Then again, I have a few American friends who I love and respect dearly....

We had a discussion about stereotypes. I personally believe in them, and it's just been my experience that the Chinese in general, tend to exhibit certain characteristics.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse, but, from the API today:

Updated: 3:45 p.m. ET Aug. 21, 2007

BEIJING - No shouting, no fighting, no extortion.

New guidelines for Chinese travelers abroad cover a wide range of dangerous or problematic behavior to help head off trouble.

Travelers are told to avoid drawing attention to themselves, respect local customs, and keep a wary eye on strangers.

"Keep peaceful in public places, don't talk loud and avoid sticking out," said the guidelines, seen on the Foreign Ministry's Web site Tuesday.

"Don't get involved in other people's quarrels in public places," it added, a nod to the Chinese habit of gathering in large crowds to observe or even take part in others' arguments and fights.

The suggestions also urged Chinese tourists to respect local laws and not to attempt to cut corners or make threats.

"When your legal rights are violated, avoid making things worse and resolve the problem through upright channels, not through extortion or other illegal methods," the guidelines said.

Along with the booming economy, Chinese have become a major presence in international tourism in recent years. While most are welcomed for the cash they spend, there have been incidents of Chinese abroad causing both offense through obnoxious behavior and being preyed on by criminals or cheats.

The number of Chinese who travel outside their homeland each year is expected to nearly triple to 100 million people by 2020.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Working...
        X