X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What i'm reading is:

The Patimokkha
    The Bhikkhus' Code of Discipline

Parajika -- Rules entailing expulsion from the Sangha (Defeat)
    Sanghadisesa -- Rules entailing an initial and subsequent meeting of the Sangha
    Aniyata -- Indefinite rules
    Nissaggiya Pacittiya -- Rules entailing forfeiture and confession
    Part One: The Robe-cloth Chapter
    Part Two: The Silk Chapter
    Pacittiya -- Rules entailing confession
    Part One: The Lie Chapter
    Part Two: The Living Plant Chapter
    Part Three: The Exhortation Chapter
    Part Four: The Food Chapter
    Part Five: The Naked Ascetic Chapter
    Part Six: The Alcoholic Drink Chapter
    Part Seven: The Animal Chapter
    Part Eight: The In-accordance-with-the-Rule Chapter
    Part Nine: The Treasure Chapter
    Patidesaniya -- Rules entailing acknowledgement
    Sekhiya -- Rules of training
    Part One: The 26 Dealing with Proper Behavior
    Part Two: The 30 Dealing with Food
    Part Three: The 16 Dealing with Teaching Dhamma
    Part Four: The 3 Miscellaneous Rules
    Adhikarana-Samatha -- Rules for settling disputes

"Therefore, unless you are a monk, it would be of no use to you."
    Its false. What i'm trying to do is to look if i'll can accept all the monks rules. And maybe take some rules that i like to add for my current life.

So is the vinaya code used at shaolin?
    =========
    Peace out!

Comment

For a website of what Chen Zhen is talking about, please go here.

If you notice what the translator has to say in his other articles, this is clearly what Theravada monks have to follow. Not Shaolin.

Its false. What i'm trying to do is to look if i'll can accept all the monks rules. And maybe take some rules that i like to add for my current life.
      See, now, I think you are going about this the wrong way. If your goal is liberation and the method of training that you choose is becoming a monk, why would the rules matter to you at all? It would be kind of like saying that I want to become a master in kung-fu, but I really don't think I want to hold stances or do push-ups.
      -Jesse Pasleytm
      "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

LOL! its sure, but everytime that i said i want to become a monk, people just say "nobody is able to accept all the rules"...

Do you have a website where i can find the code for shaolin?
        =========
        Peace out!

Comment

Do someone know a webpage where I can find the Mahayana monastic code or the Zen (a sub-category) monastic code?
          =========
          Peace out!

Comment

I wouldn't expect to see them on a website. it's sort of internal knowledge as to what specific sets of vows go with what stage.

Just look at the codes you can find. You'll find more than enough difficulty.

You can then lock yourself in a room and waste away by trying to follow them all.
            "Arhat, I am your father..."
            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I want to see the buddhist monastic rules to compare with the rules of the martial monks. Im reading that the mahayana vinaya is like the therevada, its the same categories but there is more rules in some categories...
              =========
              Peace out!

Comment

One thing that I've learned from spending time with the monks, is not that they follow rules, as you propose do do. They live their lives in moderation.

Moderation. Aristotle's golden rule. Nice way to go through life. Keeps you out of trouble.

You might want to consider this, as opposed to dealing with god knows how many arcane and ridiculous rules.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Yeah doc, i know all that stuff... In life, if you want or not you will have to accept rules. I dont want to learn by heart their rules or the live by the rules. I just want to compare if i want just a moderation life or if the monastic code will be ok for me. Just have an idea. If there is something that i cant do following the vinaya code, i will think if i realy must do that or i can change and that will make my life better. Respectfully, Please dont try to look at my purposes, just help me with what i asked.
                  =========
                  Peace out!

Comment

Real virtue is in what the Buddha said,

"Avoid what is unskillful,
                    Do what is skillful,
                    And purify the heart/mind."

It took me quite some time to really understand this, but in my book it is Greatest Teaching of All Buddhas, particularly the Buddha within your own heart.

Doc has the point of living in moderation. Moderation is also something that changes with time and conditions. I cannot practice the same way now as I did when I was a monk, it would be an extreme and it would be impractical. Balance is absolutely necessary for true spiritual strength to grow, and I have found this to be just as true as before.

For me real virtue is about not causing myself and others unneccessary suffering, and that means you need to be skillful. There are plenty of monks and nuns who take these precepts in a formal ceremony and practice these precepts in a very rigid way, causing them to become upset and angry with those who don't practice the precepts as well as they think they do. These types of action have no real virtue, no real skillfulness, because their rigidity is causing problems within their community.

So what would be the point of practicing the precepts?!?!?! If you just keep on making more karma and causing more suffering, what's the point of practicing?!?!?!

I'd say the best thing is to be skillful in what you do in life, constantly practice meditation whether you are walking, standing, sitting, or lying down. And look always with the question, what is it? or what is this? Always try to understand things! BE DETERMINED!

peace
                    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Why praticing these precepts? My point is simple. Its because for me it won't be rules or precepts, its only principles that i already have. I dont like to take drugs or alcool so i dont care if there is a rule saying that.

And I think, a martial monk is more in moderation than only a buddhist monk. A pure mind in a pure body. He should have less of rules than a buddhist monk and he can meditate without problem. For me, the moderation is a martial monk. I want to know the differences with the buddhist mahayana vinaya code to understand if its moderation or i cant accept this style of life.

Nobody know the differences??
                      =========
                      Peace out!

Comment

You won't find the Mahayana monastic code. As I have said before, quite clearly, that ONLY fully ordained monastics may read that, not even the novices are traditionally allowed to read them until they are fully ordained.

You WILL not find them on the web, particularly translated into any Western language. Although they are not that much different from the Theravada Vinaya, but since the robes and some other stuff are slightly different, they had to have different precepts.

You want to know the precepts, then go get ordained. It's the only real way you're going to find out.
                        "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

Comment

So... why there is ten thousand webpage listing all the therevada monastic code?? Why cant i fing the mahayana one...?
                          =========
                          Peace out!

Comment

What i have found yet is:

The precepts of a monk are classified into eight classes: (i) parajika, (ii) sanghadisesa, (iii) aniyata, (iv) nissaggiya-pacittiya, (v) pacittiya, (vi) patidesaniya, (vii) sekhiya, and (viii) adhikarana-samatha.

All these eight classes of rules are basically the same for Theravada and Mahayana, except for pacittiya and sekhiya. A Theravada monk has 92 pacittiya and 75 sekhiya, while a Mahayana monk has 90[6] and 100 respectively.
                            =========
                            Peace out!

Comment

Your allowed to read the Theravadan Vinaya, but not the Mahayana one.

Comment

Could you explain me why?
                                =========
                                Peace out!

Comment

Working...
                                X