Strange character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange character

Has any one any idea of what this means? Especially the first one, since i can't even find it in my dictionary!
    It's quite strange i think, the radical ought to be either the "mouth" or a vertical stroke in "tian".. but no result in my dictionary.
    I've found it to be written in pinyin as wu2 (second tone), but it's simply not in my dictionary. This must be because it is a concise edition.. so i need a bigger dictionary?
    As it is a very simply character, i find it odd to be left out.
    Attached Files

You know, this whole concept is a great idea. A "character of the day" might be an interesting way for us to start learning Chinese. With some audio uploads perhaps? Interesting concept.... (I'll make wma an acceptable file upload)
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

oops! Where I said vertical stroke in "tian" (meaning day) i meant horizontal of course... I wonder when i'll stop mixing those words up

Oh Yes, what a great idea doc! I'd be happy to contribute in any way I can. That way, I will get intense studies as well

I guess we'll have to make some sort of database full of information about the characters. Like pinyin, meaning, usual phrases and stuff like that. And of course the characters must be made into more than 20000 pictures.
      .. some work.

Comment

This forum can be modified any way we want. It is a database. I just have to know how you want to organize the substructure of this. I'm all for it. I'd love to start learning Chinese again. A little at a time.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Re: Strange character

Originally posted by Asger
          Has any one any idea of what this means? Especially the first one, since i can't even find it in my dictionary!
          It's quite strange i think, the radical ought to be either the "mouth" or a vertical stroke in "tian".. but no result in my dictionary.
          I've found it to be written in pinyin as wu2 (second tone), but it's simply not in my dictionary. This must be because it is a concise edition.. so i need a bigger dictionary?
          As it is a very simply character, i find it odd to be left out.

Asger,

it's the Name of a Person.

I think there are some parts missing also.

Translated as is it would mean Wu Yi leads. He is leading in what???

The reason why you did not find the first character is because its actually a Kanji-Character, and not all are included in the Wiles dictionary.

Uwe

Comment

ahhh. It's a name. it all makes sense.

Is there a more comprehensive dictionary you can recommend? .. it's not the only character i have found to be left out.
            But on the other hand, if's japanese it's not supposed to be in a chinese dictionary... hmm

Comment

Reference

Here is a good reference,

Simultaneously search major online Chinese dictionaries.

I will also upload some reference documents for posting in the document archive.

Uwe

Comment

but I mean books, real books to use when studing lo-fi.
                Any recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                X