• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I used to do kung fu in the early 1970s so I know how to handle myself"

Dec 16 2003
    By Jon Ryder, South London Press

'I fought off raider'

A BRAVE grandad fought off a raider less than half his age who burst into his Camberwell shop.

John Otieno-Magero told the South London Press how he struggled with the intruder and held him down until cops arrived.

The 74-year-old manager of Kings Food and Wine on Denmark Hill said: "He jumped over the counter and tried to wrestle with me but I managed to overpower him, even though he bit my hand.

"I had already been attacked three times and I always try to defend myself.

"I used to do kung fu in the early 1970s so I know how to handle myself. It has come in very handy, although I'm slower than I used to be.

"But I wouldn't like to have another experience like it - it was very traumatic."

Mr Otieno-Magero was praised by an Old Bailey judge who jailed the attacker, Barrie Smith, for three years. On Friday, Judge David Stokes said: "The proprietor put up a very gallant fight. At 74, I am full of admiration for him."

Turning to homeless Smith, 31, he said: "What a despicable thing to do. He put up a gallant resistance against you and ought to be congratulated for that.

"Bearing in mind the age of the proprietor, this makes this case very serious in my view."

Paul Cavin, prosecuting, had told the court how the attack happened on July 24.

"Smith immediately jumped on the man [Mr Otieno-Magero], pushing him towards the till and made a grab for money bags containing coins.

"The owner managed to pull the electric socket out therefore stopping Smith from being able to get into the till.

"Smith then took a swing at the owner and he fought back."

Trevor Siddle, defending, said Smith had been sleeping rough on the streets and had his dole money stolen.

He said: "It was an unsophisticated attempt at robbery in that he came into a shop where there were other customers waiting to be served."

Smith admitted attempted robbery. He smirked as he was led away to begin his sentence.

"STOP! I KNOW KUNG-FU!"

Comment

Working...
    X