No announcement yet.

Shaolins vs. UFC/Pride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently, I'm digging a hole. But let's not forget that 4 airplanes were once hijacked with nothing but box cutters.

But seriously, I do realize that I have much to learn, Doc.

Comment

• The terrorists weren't on the defensive with box cutters, so that's a faulty analogy. Also, access to weapons is subjective...but box cutters take only one hand to sheath and unsheath, while, if I'm picturing your knife right, it'd take two hands to retract that blade of yours.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

• They took over the planes with fear and surprise. Box cutters, and pen knives, can be lethal, but they wouldn't be my first choice as a weapon for self defense.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

• Some one mentioned assesing the situation and using the rigth amount of force and control and so on. These are good but for masters only, thinking too much, almost at all, in a fight can easily mean the end of you.
          I understand what you're saying master-lu, but the truth is that in a normal "fight" situation no one is trying to kill anyone. And the law agrees with me. In most states, if you respond with lethal or potentially-lethal force to a bar fight, or basically to anything besides a guy running at you with a lethal weapon, you're in for a lot of trouble. This is one of the ways I feel martial arts training can be harmful -- putting the student in a "killer instinct" frame of mind that will probably only get them more hurt, or even get them into jail. The situation is everything if you're talking about real self defense, as opposed to 20-killer-ninjas-in-an-alley self defense.

You don't have to be a master to do this; it's easy. Stay out of the bad parts of town and don't get into fights at the bar. If someone's drunk and giving you a hard time, leave. Obsessing over "what if" situations will just make you paranoid, and an inflated opinion of your skills will just get you into trouble.
          Last edited by zachsan; 02-06-2007, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• I agree with you zachsan that ofcourse if you have the opportunity to leave, you take it and leave. And sure, ceep to safe places. I believe that the martial arts training does not neceserily put you in a killer state of mind. It depends on the training ofcourse but my training and many others train us to get closer and closer to that ideal state where we can use our skills just like we seem to have agreed on, a master would. we all want to be that good- so good at fighting so we don't even need to harm the attacker beyond what is necessary just make him realise that attacking you is pointless and will only make it worse for himself.
            Since this is the ideal our training is good and healthy for us. Serious martial artists, the better they get, the better their control gets and the closer we get to the master state. I believe with the right training most martial artist could reach that level, it is not that hard to achieve. The reason why so few reach it is most of us do not have acces to the right and full knowledge of combat thats why most of us never reach masterhood. To me master level is not as distant a thing as it seems to be for the chinese claiming you need at least ten years of training forms and other similar exagerations. Its like anything else- some people work all their life to make a better living- get rich or die trying- to them its a big issue and a big problem. Others attain the right knowledge and make it. Those who make it often says that it takes the right knowledge mindset etc then it becomes easy.
            Long answer as usual i can't help it i enjoy discussing this

Comment

• Since this is the ideal our training is good and healthy for us.
              Exactly... I guess my problem is that for a lot of people, this isn't even the ideal. The way martial arts are portrayed in movies, someone who's skilled enough is basically invincible, and can go wherever and do whatever they want without fear. Not that I have a problem with those movies, because they're just more entertaining that way... but that's the ideal a lot of kids (and mentally deficient adults) are pursuing, and it's just not morally right or even possible to achieve. So the fault is both with the people who go to train with that mentality and the teachers who encourage it as a way of making some quick cash.

The truth is that most people with enough spare cash to afford MA classes won't find themselves in dangerous situations too often, unless they're just violent people. But it's not a good thing to have a bunch of people with delusions of their own toughness walking around, and a bunch of cynical teachers profiting from it.

Comment

• Actually, LeiYunFat, my pocket knife is an assisted-opening tactical pocket knife (and small is a subjective term). For a picture and details of this wonderful, perfectly balanced blade, go to http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=85

Master-lu, I could be wrong, but I feel that the fact that so few people achieve mastery of a martial art is for two reasons: One of those reasons is your point that access to genuine, correct, and complete combat knowledge/training can be difficult to come by, depending on where you live. And there is truth to that.

But to an even greater degree, I feel, is the fact that people are busy -or lazy. How many people do you know (outside of russbo) that have the time or the devotion to make the time to master a complex, physically demanding art like gong fu; or out of all the millions of joggers in the world, to get in good enough shape to run a marathon, even? Even of the people you do train with: how many will put aside the many other things in their lives to spend several hours every day for many years to master their martial art? Mastery isn't easy. I think that if you talked to any master, they would all tell you the same thing: you can't just decide to be a master, it takes hours upon hours of hard training for several years. Or it takes an hour or two a day for many more years (for those who have jobs and families). And then of course there are lots of "arm-chair afficionados" who are interested as hell, but are too lazy or lack the will to make themselves train. And as far as getting rich, I've been told by a couple of rich men that the formula for success is: preparedness + opportunity =success. The world hath no shortage of people with the desire.
                Last edited by michael289; 02-08-2007, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• Small isn't subjective. Yours is small

This is a knife.

But, guys with green shirts can't use something like that.

Sorry man. Hate to break it to you.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                  russbo.com

Comment

• dude your knife is a pos.

but if you surprise someone you can kill anyone with it so who cares.

if it makes you feel safe carry it. just know if you use it your definately going to jail if they catch you.
                    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

• but if you surprise someone you can kill anyone with it so who cares.
                      See my point master-lu?

Comment

• Zachsan i agree. I was thinking more from my own perspective. surely lots of people don't have this ideal. And i agree on the knife part.
                        I think michael is deffinetly right about people being to lasy to take the time to master a gong fu style most people are to lazy to ever master anything other than watching tv hahahahaha

Comment

• wait a minute im not suer i see your point zachsan but perhaps you are talking about surprising someone with your gong fu skill??? Could that be it?

Comment

• good point zachsan,

Imo, pepper spray may be better than a knife if you want to be able to get away fast and avoid a fight.

in cali, if the knife is smaller than 4 1/2 inches its legal, but the cops will give you hell for it anyway. on the other hand, mace and pepper spray are legal to carry.

but the best preventive measure you can take is to stay away from trouble, dark alleys and night walks, and if some guy is staring you down, dont stare back and after 30 minutes of staring, say, "WHAT?" In an aggresive i wanna fight you tone of voice, while raising your arms like a startled chicken (that just happened to me today, usually i would ignore stuff like that but i was in a horrible mood, i just rear ended someone). also, if you see a big group, walk the other way, and if its unavoidable, dont look at them at all, just mind your own business and keep walking, and if you hear them calling you or chasing you, hit the nearest corner and RUN!!!
                            imo, knives are good for intimidation and attempts to scare the person away without fighting, but i dont think i could stab or slash at someone unless lives were in serious danger.

lol, some people are so gung ho about fighting that they are quick to fight anyone, im so gung ho about fighting that i dont have to or want to fight you, because i already know i can kick your ass, and i dont want to get my hands dirty.lol
                            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

• Why not compete and make some dough off your confidence? If I had the confidence, skill, and the means, I'd definately compete.
                              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

• My point was, the ideal we were talking about is not present in some people's minds, which is made evident when those people say things like "if you suprise someone with that knife you can still kill them". The reality is that nobody on this forum (hopefully) is trying to surprise and kill anyone. This is how people talk when they've been watching too many movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X