capoiera again!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capoiera again!!

yeah just a quick question, anyone on the board have experience in training in capoiera, any good or any specific groups that you've heard of

thanks!

I've had a little fun with Capoeira Angola...the lessons were fun enough, the strangest part was like at the end we all played instruments for like 10 min...I was like...wtf?
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I've seen it, it's impressive, I can't do it, don't want to even try, and, excuse my impression, but it's kind of gay to watch at times. Really dance oriented. Did you know that it evolved in Brazil from the slaves that were imported to that country, who, kind of like Shaolin, evolved it into a martial art dance routine because of its "hidden" martial arts qualities?

Did you know that Brazilians are "brown" because of the large influx of African slaves to that country over the centuries? Shall we talk about Australia, and try to explain BL?

OK, enough of that. Great art, still can't do it.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

I sucked at it, too. Somehow I don't find Capoeira players quite as gay as wrestlers at their nastiest...

Comment

capoiera is interesting and useful, IF learned from the right teacher. Now a days it seems like too many hippies teach it or people who watched "Only the Strong" one too many times.
          "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

yeah, thats what i've noticed, hmm, anglo, might give it a shot.

i knew a bit of the history of it, just basically taking it for dance, and backflips

lol

thanks guys!

Comment

Well, from what I've read, unlike Shaolin forms which theoretically became more flowery over time to please crowds, Capoeira was purposefully created as a means of hiding martial techniques that slaves weren't allowed to practice. A group of men practicing fighting techniques were seen by plantation owners as just dancing, and the techniques were passed on that way. Today, of course, the rhoda (I think that's the name of it), music and all that are part of the tradition of it.

I guess it was still crowd-pleasing, in a sense, but obviously with different motivations.

Comment

Plus, hippies get tired of flipping around after a while and would rather play tamborines.

Comment

then again, it would be a good art to learn, simply to increase freedom of movement, and possibilities of attack. Ive seen some demo's of the art but it looked more like cheerleading since all they were doing was assisted flips and jumping around, no application whatsoever. yeah, it was gay, and the long brazilian jerry curls werent helping either.
                  "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
                  X