KUK SOOL WON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KUK SOOL WON

Hello every body...long time no see.....
    I'm training for about 6 months now in KUK SOOL WON (is any one fermiliar with this M.A?...It's korean.....never mind that now..) any way- Got a Yellow Belt just now.. Had my 16th birth-day on frieday- the 20th.. so...I'm just happy about it...(getting a Yellow belt ofter those hard 6 months......I LOVE RUSSBO! I won't forget shaolin gong fu-which is what I really want to practice! L.U people!
    M.K

You should tell us more about this style. Haven't heard of it before. Glad you're progressing with your training.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

It seems to be popular in Israel for some reason, along with Krav Maga.

Congrats on the belt...

Comment

popular?.......I know only two places that theach KUK SOOL WON-.....My teachers' and my masters'...
        Thanks for the congrads..
        M.K

Comment

Well, the only people I've come across who train in KSW are Israelis.

Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Ever thought of taking Krav Maga since it's so popular there? It's a very efficient MA...

Comment

Kuk Sool Won

Doc,

below you will find a abbreviated history and a brief overview on Kuk Sool Won. I don't know the system itself, never studied it and the readings below are from my little library.

History Before 1910

The three branches of traditional Korean martial arts of SahDoh MuSool, BoolKyo MuSool, and KoongJoong MuSool are systemized as Kuk Sool in 1958 by Grandmaster In Hyuk Suh, the founder of Kuk Sool Won.
            Kuk Sool consists of 270 categories and more than 3600 techniques from the three branches of traditional Korean martial arts. Kuk Sool has been actively promoted worldwide by the World Kuk Sool Association, and recognized in the martial arts community as one of the most effective and comprehensive systems of traditional Korean martial arts.

History from 1910 until now

Kuk Sool Won's history begins in 1910 with the dissolution of the Korean Royal Court and the Japanese occupation. Many leading martial arts instructors were forced into hiding. Among them was Myung Duk Suh, In Hyuk Suh's grandfather. Before Japan took over, the elder Suh taught three types of Korean martial arts; kwan sool, a kicking and hard punching style, yu sool, a soft style with emphasis on locking and throwing techniques and yu-kwan, a combination which could be either hard or soft, but never used force against force.

During this period of Japanese rule (lasting from 1910 until the eventual defeat of the Japanese forces at the end of World war II), the Japanese occupying forces attempted to suppress virtually every aspect of the Korean cultural heritage and replace it with their own. They even suppressed the Korean language (Hangul) in favor of their own Japanese language. Needless to say, the traditional martial arts of Korea were banned as well.

The practice of any sort of Korean martial arts had been strictly forbidden. Any Korean caught practicing them (or even worse, teaching them) would be severely punished under a legal system particularly harsh on the native Korean population. Because of the severity of this repression, the clandestine manner under which the native Korean martial arts were practiced (which had always been in evidence because so many of the techniques were jealously guarded secrets) was greatly intensified. Only a very small number actually participated in the training for fear of reprisal.

Master Instructor Suh Myung Duk, who returned to his family home in the Taegu area, and then set about the task of preserving his vast martial art knowledge. He continued secretly practicing martial arts, teaching his techniques in the strictest privacy to immediate family members.

The Suh family had practiced martial arts for-the past 16 generations and it was time to pass on the previous generation's knowledge. From his children and grandchildren, Suh carefully selected one child to whom he would give the entire scope of his knowledge. That child was In Hyuk Suh, his grandson, whose serious martial arts education began when he was only five years old.

Suh's training continued uninterrupted until the middle of the Korean conflict, when his grandfather was fatally wounded. It then continued through arrangements made by his grandfather's foresight.

Letters of introduction, plus his grandfather's reputation as a master instructor, opened many doors to In Hyuk Suh. Now young Suh began to visit, and to learn from many teachers.

By the time he was 20 years old he had traveled to hundreds of Buddhist temples and private martial arts teachers, studying many aspects of Korean martial arts. The Buddhist temples themselves were not martial training grounds, Suh, instead, searched for and found many ancient training books, hidden away from the Japanese in the neutral holy temples. Sometimes he went to a teacher to learn only one technique. For instance, Suh learned an important joint locking angle from an old man who was the last descendant of a famous martial arts family. This old man was reputed to break steel smoking pipes with just his thumb but he refused to teach this technique, preferring to take it with him to the grave. Suh had talked to him for over an hour before realizing the old man had been holding a long Korean pipe in one position, with his elbow at a certain angle for the entire time. Suddenly Suh became aware that the secret technique was the elbow angle itself

During this intensive training-period Suh met an old Buddhist monk named Hai Dong Seu Nim (Great Monk of the Eastern Sunrise). He became Suh's second most influential teacher, passing on special breathing skills, mediation techniques and internal power (ki) knowledge.

In the late 1950's In Hyuk Suh began to organize and systemize the many scattered martial art techniques of Korea into a single martial art, Kuk Sool Wonâ„¢ , now Korea's largest organized martial art. (Tae Kwon Do, while larger, is considered by the Korean Government and the World Tae Kwon Do Federation to be a martial sport).

Suh officially founded Kuk Sool Wonâ„¢ in 1961. When he opened his first do-jangs (schools) it was a difficult time. Those were the rough days following the Korean conflict, when martial art schools had to prove themselves physically to stay in business.

Kuk Sool grew to monumental proportions, even though it took the public some time to adjust to its radically different spinning techniques and low stances. Then, in 1974, when Kuk Sool Wonâ„¢ in Korea was reaching a popularity peak with the public, In Hyuk Suh brought his martial art to the United States.

Suh moved to New Orleans to open the first official Kuk Sool Won™ school in the United States. In 1975 he moved west, to San Francisco, where he opened the World Kuk Sool Association® headquarters school. In 1991, Grandmaster Suh moved the headquarters to Houston, Texas. Since then he has traveled extensively throughout the United States, Canada and Europe conducting lectures, seminars, demonstrations and testing black belt candidates. Worldwide, over one million students have passed through the doors of Kuk Sool Won™ schools. In 1983 Kuk Sa Nim was elected head of all Korean martial arts, 31 separate styles, making him the only 10th degree in all of Korean martial arts.

Overview on what the system is all about from a technical point of view

Kuk Sool Wonâ„¢ is a systematic study of all of the traditional fighting arts, which together comprise martial arts history of the Korean nation. As such Kuk Sool Wonâ„¢ is an extremely well-organized system of martial arts which seeks to integrate and explore all aspects of the traditional Korean martial arts.

As a martial arts system, Kuk Sool Wonâ„¢ covers the entire spectrum of the traditional Asian fighting arts and techniques of body conditioning, as well as mental development and traditional weapons training. These include (but are not limited to):

Hand Striking: closed and open hand striking methods, palm, wrist, and finger striking, blocking and parrying, animal- techniques, pressure point striking, striking with arm and shoulder, specialized palm training, arm striking, shoulder technique, etc.

Leg Techniques: foundation kicking, front leg kicking, spinning kicks, jumping kicks, combination kicking, jump spinning kicks, double leg kicking, kicking defense, pressure point kicking, specialty kicking, etc.

Throwing and Grappling: body throws, projection throws, wrestling techniques, leg throws, ground fighting, pressure point grappling, grappling defense, etc.

Joint-Locking Techniques: pain throws, arresting and "come along" techniques, restraining methods, joint breaking techniques, control and re-direction techniques, combination joint locking, etc.

Falling Techniques and Acrobatics: body protection techniques, throwing defense, acrobatics for body conditioning and agility, acrobatics for defense and offense, etc.

Body Conditioning: stretching and flexibility training, cardiovascular conditioning, muscle training, joint flexibility and bone conditioning. Animal-Style Techniques: techniques based on the movements and/or characteristics of certain "martial" animals such as Tiger, Praying Mantis, Crane, Dragon, Bear, etc.

Traditional Korean Weapons: straight sword, inverted sword, double sword, double short sword, pole, jool bong (nunchaku), short stick, double short stick, spear, cane, belt, folding, fan, etc. (There are 24 different traditional Korean Royal Court weapons in the curriculum of Kuk Sool Wonâ„¢) plus Buddhist- and family weaponry.

Martial Art Healing Methods: (beginning at Instructor Level) acupressure, acupuncture, internal energy systems, herbal medicine, etc.

Uwe

Comment

kuk sool won's website

Its official website is www.kuksoolwon.com it actual has an interesting history as noted by Uwe and which can be read on its website, as well as perspective on the development of the korean fighting arts. my brothers have some experience in this system and I like the 'qinna' techniques that are a major focus of training, while the other ranges are addressed as well.

you may be surprised at how far kuk sool won has spread

Comment

Originally posted by Lipster
                Ever thought of taking Krav Maga since it's so popular there? It's a very efficient MA...
                I contacted the krav maga head office in netanya not long ago to ask where I could find a school in tel aviv and strangely was told there were none and I would have to train in netanya! Seems odd that the famous (or infamous) israeli martial art is not available (at least officially) in tel aviv.. like its mainly designed for the export market or something.. maybe its just not 'exotic' enough for the locals..

Comment

Originally posted by Lipster
                  Well, the only people I've come across who train in KSW are Israelis.

Maybe it's just a coincidence.

KM looks really brutal. I want to take that pretty bad.

New on the list of MA I want to try (in order from most->least)

1.) Krav maga
                  2.) BJJ
                  3.) Wing Chun
                  Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Working...
                  X