Shaolin Muay Thai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Muay Thai?

Ok, I'll admit that I'm not sure of the Shaolin connection but I've heard over the years of Muay Thai practiced in a manner similar to Kung Fu, complete with forms. Perhaps they are actually referring to Bando, Kuntao or Silat. I think the last time I saw it referred to was that "BUDO" magazine where he features martial artists and styles from around the world. I believe he's based in Spain. Can anyone shed any light concerning any of this?
    Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

I have a student who is Thai, and after watching Ong Bak, we discovered (his uncle told us) that what we see as Muay Thai is a more modern aspect of the art. It is descended from older Thai arts like Muay Barang, which indedd did have forms. If you haven't seen Ong Bak, check it out. www.OngBakMovie.com
    Mike Evans
    Medford, NY

Comment

btw dingodong, i don't know if i've ever mentioned this before, but that is a badass icon. gordon liu and toshira mifune all rolled up into one...

Comment

Muay Thai does have roots back to forms having MA, Mike is correct with this, I have some info, but not much on it somewhere (looks around office) not here however, if I find it, I'll post it.
        practice wu de

Comment

I'm doubting the Shaolin connection.

Anyways, here is a listing of classical, as in traditional, muay thai techniques:

Mae Mai

The painting at the top reminded of the mural at Shaolin, teehee.
          -Jesse Pasleytm
          "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Interesting,

Well I do remember a article in Inside Kung-Fu on thailand fighting techniques. Basically, how it served as a melting pot for so many different peoples. That there was vicious wars among different groups.
            "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Originally posted by zachsan
              btw dingodong, i don't know if i've ever mentioned this before, but that is a badass icon. gordon liu and toshira mifune all rolled up into one...
              LOL Good one zach

Comment

Back home when i was in Canada before i ended up in crazy ol China doing Shaolin this year. I studied Jeet Kune Do for many years, our club and JKD in general practice alot of Muay Thai and Kabri-Kabrong.

Kabri-Kabrong is the mother art to Muay Thai , This art is older than shaolin it was created about 2000 years ago in Siam ( ancient name of Thailand ) and it was not near as complete as it later became. It was mainly fighting with a sword, it only had like 10 positions for gaurding and offense and was all about easy ways to kill people as Siam history was filled with violence. The hand to hand combat was introduced and done with in the villages among warriors during feasts and festivals and so on. Alot of the same rituals like the ram muay and so on were done back then as they are done now in Muay thai today. This is where Muay Thai came from

As for having forms and so on Muay Thai never reall had forms beside the rituals they did to honor there homeland/masters and the people they are fighting like the Wai Kru. But Kabri Kabrong did have forms envolved with it i dont know to much about them and ive never seen them demonstrated but i beleive they are based off like 5 animals , like the boar, python and some other ones i had a webpage with information on the forms and the animals but its back home in canada. All tho i dont think these forms share much similarities with shaolin forms. One aspect that relates shaolin and muay thai/Kabro kabrong is spirituality. Both have strong roots to Buddhism.

hmm wish i could find that page with all the info on the forms, im heading to Thailand for 2 months to get out of the cold here in Deng Feng and im studying Muay thai there. Im definatly going to look into Kabri Kabrong and see what i find, it would be ammazing to learn/see some of it from its roots, but i do know alot of Kabro Kabrong schools are always filled and some do not accept students and have waiting lists.

anyways thats all i know

Comment

Originally posted by zachsan
                  Thanks brother. I guess I cleaned up my e-mails before seeing all these responses. Lots of nice additions to the site too! Time to look around.
                  Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Asger
                    LOL Good one zach
                    Oh yeah; it's Jet Li and Toshiro Mifune. I HAVE seen an av with Gordon Liu though. It looks very similar not surprisingly.

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

so it is. i guess i was deceived by his monkish appearance.

Comment

Working...
                      X