X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXACTLY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by master splinter
      well if you can beat your teacher, why call him teacher?
      Can you beat your history teacher at physics?

Unless your own knowledge/skills is strictly limited to what you learned from a single teacher I would think its likely/normal that you will know things your teacher does not.. doesn't mean that teacher has nothing left to teach you.

Comment

true, very true.
        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Agreed, because just about everyone can teach you a little something; might be something you had in mind, or might not be. But even in tournaments these days, who are you to say that you no longer need to learn from him because some judge thinks your form looks better or you spar better. And who are the judges to say that you are better than your teacher? That decision should be made by only you or him. Hopefully, when or if it happens, the context will be different than just some competition. It's all subjective though, because it's ultimately what you want out of the lesson. If you want to learn how to fight, for instance; sparring results won't tell you shit about your teacher or your fighting aptitude, or how more you have yet to learn.

I touched the red area on his vest 4 times, and he only got me 3! I no longer have to learn from this n00b!
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Honestly, if the teacher wants to do it and you want to do it, it's all good because it's consensual.

Beating your teacher and rubbing it in his face, now that's disrespectful.
            wait a minute... what exactly are we talking about here?

Comment

You are not with a teacher because he could teach you a little something. You are with a teacher because he is highly qualified. If he isn't highly qualified and MUCH better then you he shouldn't be a TEACHER.

Comment

Oh I can't beat him. I will train like I can beat him, and if I'm lucky the judge will have pinkeye and be hungover that day.
                Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

...highly qualified to do what exactly, mortal? kick your ass or teach you something? (or whatever LYF was talking about in his "rubbing in his face" post?) one does not necessarily follow the other; the same way that being tough and having useful MA knowledge do not necessarily follow each other.

Comment

"...highly qualified to do what exactly, mortal? kick your ass or teach you something? (or whatever LYF was talking about in his "rubbing in his face" post?) one does not necessarily follow the other; the same way that being tough and having useful MA knowledge do not necessarily follow each other."

All I am saying is whoever is teaching you should be (or have once been) many levels higher then where you are now.

Get it!?!

Comment

"levels", eh? how uh, japanese of you.

Comment

in my opinion it should only apply to the seniority of the ma world. if the guy is in better shape then you and you beat him, i dont think he is qualified to teach you a technique that he cannot even use himself.
                        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I don't think any of that is true. "Those who can, fight, those who cannot, teach." Isn't that the saying? The best boxers don't necessarily have the best fighters as coaches. I also don't believe your teacher has to be levels above you. If you're a student that has learned a drill the class is doing and I am a newbie, I'd gladly learn from you. You are teaching me, therefore you are my teacher. I've drifted around for a long time learning shit from people when and where I can. If they have something to teach me I don't know, that's good enough for me.

Also, in my previous post about consensual agreements, it was just me being inuendous.
                          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

well i would definitely rather learn a technique from someone who knows how to use and apply it, rather then someone who just knows the technique and me having to figure it out all by myself, not that i cant do that, it just makes things a little easier on me.

and yes definately is a word that i struggle with, damn the english language.

Comment

Tourney was yesterday. My Shrfu didn't compete because of a shoulder injury - other Shrfu's competed in my division, however (advanced open hand) - and I still took home the gold.

Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Congratulations!

Wow your teacher must have been scared of you, he stayed home that coward...Can you believe a KF teacher would hurt himself just before a tournament?Even if he did he still should compete, that's what i think.

Could you brievely explain me which are the rules of this kind of competition?

Anyways....Bravo!
                                The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

Working...
                                X