Any Ninjutsu Students here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ninjutsu Students here?

Hey, I've been studying Bujinkan Ninjutsu for the past couple of months and I'm relaly enjoying it. I was wondering if we have anybody else here with any Ninjutsu experience, Bujinkan or otherwise?

I'm not a ninjutsu student but I'm very interested in taking ninjutsu someday. what kind of training do you do? do you know of any places where you can train in ninjutsu like they used to long ago?
    "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

do you study it in London?

Comment

Well I fully reccommend it, Ninjutsu is a great art to study. In fact, I'd say it's more expansive than pretty much any martial art I've done, in terms of techniques taught and so forth.

Basically there's kind of an emphasis on jointlocks, but pretty much everything is covered, from striking to grappling, throws, a wide range of weapons and even some groundwork - very much a "kitchen sink" martial art. It contains just about everything you'd find in other traditional Japanese MA (not karate though, that tends to be quite external, while Ninjutsu has much more of a focus on internal power as opposed to muscular strength). You learn a lot of movement skills like rolling (mainly used to minimise damage when being thrown / getting out of joint locks) etc, and techniques are done from a variety of positions, standing, crouching etc.

What you shuold know is that, just like with Shaolin, don't believe what you see in the movies. Ninjutsu is NOT about sneaking up on people and assassinating them, disappearing into the night, or flipping out a killing everyone, lol. It is primarily a self-defence art with a heavy dose of spiritual development, much like Aikido. There is a stealth element to it, but don't expect to be wearing any ninja masks and sneaking into 16th-century japanese castles.

On the other hand, it may live up to many of your expectations. You may, for example, learn to use shuriken (not in the UK though, as they are banned in this country) and many of the other skills that "ninjas" (a term that is as difficult to define as "monks") are traditionally thought to study.

As far as studying it goes, yes I study it in London, with sensei Ryo Onishi, who has been a personal student of Masaaki Hatsumi, the current grandmaster of the Bujinkan association. He is thought by many to be the only legitimate holder of a true ninjutsu lineage, although this is a controversial matter, with a lot of complicated politics involved (at LEAST as complicated as the various Shaolin issues going back and forth around here).

There are 3 main recognised Ninjutsu associations, the Bujinkan being the major one, with two offshoots, the Genbukan and the Jinenkan. Those 3 are the only ones you can be assured are fully legitimate (though the quality of teaching varies wildly from sensei to sensei - another controversial issue in the ninjutsu community).

As far as learning it "like they used to long ago", there are a couple of places in Japan where you can go and stay with a sensei up in the mountains somewhere and learn from him, I don't know off the top of my head how you would get in touch with such a place though. The most reliable way of doing it would be to go to the Hombu (HQ) dojo in Japan to study with Soke (grandmaster) Hatsumi, I think there are courses where you can go and stay there as a residential course. Whatever people may say about him, his martial arts ability is truly second to none.

Comment

yeah I've seen pictures of the guy not even doing martial arts and he looks like a badass. I read about his master who sounded even more incredible than him if that's possible.
          "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

hehe, yeah well he's getting on a bit now (73) but he's still got it.

His teacher was sensei Takamatsu. The story goes, when Hatsumi was staying at his house one night (traditional for teachers to invite students over in those days), Takamatsu asked him the next day how many times he snuck into Hatsumi's room and could have killed him. Hatsumi didn't sleep a wink for 5 years after that. Later, Takamatsu told him he never went in there at all

Hell of a teacher... I guess it worked, though

Comment

that's funny and creepy I know I'd be scared if my teacher said that to me. I heard another story that his sensei saved some people in a barn or put out some flames or something like that by knocking over a wall completely in one move.

Comment

lol... hmm somebody's been looking at realultimatepower too much methinks

Comment

well I did say it was a story not a fact. and I've never even heard of realultimatepower whatever that is

Comment

Everybody should see this website at least once. It's absolutely ****ing hilarious. I don't know who this kid is but he's insane.

I should probably say, just in case, that this website in no way represents the thoughts or opinions of the ninjutsu community (as if you needed me to tell you that, lol)

Comment

oh my ****ing god I just looked at that site. that is almost the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

Comment

that site - just another splendid example of "don't believe everything you read on a website"... Even if it seems so real and true
                        Nothing is more frightening than ignorance in action - Goethe

Comment

well I'm pretty sure (or at least hope) that it is intended to be a comical site. if you look at the author section the guy doesn't look exactly like a little kid. and if you look around enough he uses bigger words than "wail" and "sweet". some of the people sending hate mail seem just as stupid if not more stupid than the author.
                          either way that's a damn funny site.

Comment

Yeah, it's just classic.

I have to admit, it gets a little bit annoying though. Sometimes, whenever you mention ninjutsu, people start quoting from that site and just don't take anything seriously. I guess ya just have to ignore it though, it's still one of the funniest damn sites on the internet

Comment

I have an interest in ninjustu, but I'm currently taking a mixed martial art class and weapons class. I've read some steven Hayes books. I have a friend though that did go to a "ninjustu" and he was not pleased at the results. Becareful. I don't know if you would want to train as they did though. I have heard that if a ninja lost a scoll he was killed.
                              http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

Working...
                              X