No announcement yet.

Buying swords online.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess Adam Hsu has been working with the Hanwei forge to sort of correct the jian. He says that most if not all the jians around today have the guard facing the wrong way.
    practice wu de

Comment

hmm, doesn't work for me either but I copyied and pasted it into the browser and it worked.
      "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

OK, I got the link to work that way...Nice sword; I don't think it's from martial arts mart, but it does look like one that was fairly common a few years back as the sword collecting public suddenly became aware oor the vast array of chinese weaponry. There was a sudden rush to produce "Real" chinese swords. While I can't quite tell from the pic, it looks like one of those. Unfortunately, stainless steel, while nice for the collector, is not really what you want a sword made out of. The chromium (and others) that's used as in the alloy causes weaker blades that fail to hold an edge and tend to break. Look for something with carbon steel. Many chinese forges are using old railroad tracks as the base metal for the newer blades as they tend to be hicher carbon content (which is added to during forging, i think) plus the fact that they have been cold pressed by all the years od trains running over them causes the metal "fibers" to align giving greater strength and flexibility to the blade.
        Mike Evans
        Medford, NY

Comment

Your right it's through Century martial arts there online store. They also sell more swords so it's interesting.

Well, it's really not the type of sword to be sparring with but for forms practice? For me it would do. I'm afraid of it rusting into the scabbard. Also, how much does one want to sink into swords? If I want to spar, i'm going to get foam. Something, I can give someone a good whack!!! with and not have any guilty feelings.

What do you guys think about wushu steel? I seen a blade made out of combat steel, very heavy stuff. There is another one, I forget. Good for building up muscles.

Edit: Also, I would also suggest getting a case for the sword, so that if you took it traveling, it doesn't get damaged. Also it looks less menancing, in a case then in it's scabbard. That's one things I like about tiger direct. Also, becareful how you ship a sword! Know a friend who shipped his sword and it got damaged yikes....!
          Last edited by Greenknight2; 12-20-2004, 09:39 AM. Reason: add information
          "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Originally posted by daodejing
            I'm thinking about getting a nice carbon steel or combat steel jian, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. So far I'm looking specifically at something from Hanwei or Longchuan forges, and i won't spend more than 200 usd, preferably between 100-150.

Has anyone bought combat steel taiji jian from either of these forges before?

http://www.martialartsmart.net/452008.html

Also considering this broadsword.......

http://www.martialartsmart.net/452063.html
            I don't like the Jian that I have left in this post. I almost bought a copy but I had the opportunity to wield it and it's balanced like it's made of Wushu Steel. I have the Dao that you posted a link to and love it. The scabbard is a little craptastic but the blade is wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by shaolinstylee
              I guess Adam Hsu has been working with the Hanwei forge to sort of correct the jian. He says that most if not all the jians around today have the guard facing the wrong way.
              There was a lot of talk about this about 1.5 months ago on the KFM forum. Although Adam Hsu makes some very good points regarding blade construction in his article, there are numerous historical examples with the guard pointing the "wrong" way. Also there are some sword sticking tricks I like that depend on the "wrong" guard shape to work perfectly. I guess it's a matter of preference. That being said the Adam Hsu Jian does look better than the one it's replacing ie Hanwei line.

Comment

Working...
              X