How to decide what style is for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to decide what style is for you?

I'm sure if you trained hard enough, anyone could be good with any style. But how can you logically decide which style is right for you? Sure you might like how a style looks, or maybe you like a style because it focuses on something you lack (ie, speed)

So how can I narrow the vast variety of styles to just a handful that would utilize my strengths?

- size
    - strength
    - speed
    - mentality (aggressive, evasive, etc.)
    Is there a website that might have in depth info on what you should learn depending on what type of person you are? Anyone have opinions?

Originally posted by Prizefighter
    Is there a website that might have in depth info on what you should learn depending on what type of person you are? Anyone have opinions?
    Wrong approach man.

Don't do what you think others think would be good for you.

Do what you find attractive. Do what you want to learn. You'll adjust, regardless of your size, personality, style, weight, etc.

Do what you like, your way. Learn it, and enjoy it, and to hell what other people may think.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Doing what you like is really key. It is that simple and that important. Most places will let you take some intro classes. If a place will not do this, forget them and move on. The important thing is to enjoy what you are doing. Life is way to short and time is too precious to waste. Good luck in your training.
      Do wh

Comment

I've actually found that most suitable style tend to lean towards what your best at.. and what your best at tends to be what you love doing the most... Personally I love jumping and acrobatics so my Sifu told me I'd do well at Di Tang, Eagle or Drunken style.. al of which I find incredibly interesting...

If your having trouble trying to decide what to study why not experiment... Try different things for a few weeks or months and see how it works for you... In the mean time youll still get in shape and have a strong foundaiton for whatever you end up doing..
        The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Right Style for you........?

Yeah this is my concern as well..............I have only started training about one year ago with the USA Shaolin Temple here in NYC with Yan Ming. I have had some good experience and not so good there.........like life in general but I am 45 years old and alot of the regimen there is so acrobatic that I feel at a loss many times working on a purely aesthetic move for months and not really seeing any practical connection to a fighting skill at all....... I have pulled my back at least four times while there as well. Now I am thinking of also training in Wing Chun along side the Shaolin Wushu..........How many others here train in both WIng Chun and Traditional or Wushu Shaolin? Can you see connections between the styles or are they too different to practically work on at the same time? I was thinking of using the Shaolin for strength and flexiibility and the Wing Chun for practical applications. Bruce Lee trained in Wing Chun as well as some other southern Shaolin derivatives and when you see his films there is hardly any acrobatics in what he is doing at all.......but he kicks ass big time ...........it is interesting but they show these films at the USAST for fundraiser gatherings but we do not do anything like what Lee is doing in the films ..............most of the Gong Fu films put out today are mostly Wushu , which is the real original Gong Fu............?

Comment

Originally posted by jackwolf
            Y regimen there is so acrobatic that I feel at a loss many times working on a purely aesthetic move for months and not really seeing any practical connection to a fighting skill at all.......
            Yanming's connection to traditional shaolin is tenuous at best, as I've been told by many reliable, and true, shaolin sources. His training is largely from the Henan wushu team, which explains yours, and other's, experiences.

If you want to learn combat applications to traditional Shaolin, you should look into Li Peng, who is somewhere in the NY or NJ area. He has the real thing.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I was gonna sy that too but doc beat me to it. Yan migns style is so disjointed these days its rather insane. He continually changes the basics and how they should be performed, like he himself doesnt know for sure. When I first started there everything was wushu like. When I left everything had turned into an axe kick. A simple front slap kick now required so much extension from your hip your foot was landing 3 feet in front of you. This led to so many injuries there i lost count. Yet people believed it was their own fault and not the crappy teaching..

Wing Chun is very good stuff indeed. I think if your looking for practical application and things that are not so acrobatic then you should look into that. If you also want conditioning and flexibiliy there are other schools out tehre that are better. Or like doc said if you want the traditional shaolin go check out li peng.

On a side note. A buddy of mine used to train there. We were actually really close when were were there together. He moved to San Francisco recently and found some shaolin guys out there. When he showed them what he had learned form yan ming they openly laughed at how ridiculous it was. They told him none of it had any traditional flavor to it and it was all totally modernized wushu version. Even like xiao hong quan...

If your not very acrobatic and cant jump well you shouldnt be forced to or orcing yourself to learn a style that requires it. Find something thats a better fit for your body type and skills and you will grow a whole lot faster with it.
              The essential point in science it not a complicated mathematical formalism or a ritualized experimentation. Rather the heart of science is a kind of shrewd honesty the springs from really wanting to know what the hell is going on!

Comment

Well, some people in the martial arts will change their "style" over the years, especially those that are not deeply rooted in the traditional sense of it. I experienced this myself, in my opinion, at USSD.

russbo.com

Comment

Yeah guess USSD is a whole other beast to deal with. Guess thats kinda my point though. If you have a strong and knowledgable traditional background there shouldnt really be changing of anything. You sould in fact jsut teach it how you learned it. After all these are the tried and tested thousand year old methods we are talking about here. I find it odd for a strict traditonalist to suddenyl say "Nah I'm gonna change this, this and this"

Comment

Working...
                  X