Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abdominal Breathing

Hi all!

I got another question on abdominal breathing. Whenever I breath in deeply without moving my shoulders I feel a stretch behind the center line of the chest. I also have the impression that like this I can't breath in as deeply as I would when lifting my shoulders.

WOuld you guys have any comments on this, please?

Thanks!

Michael

ok. it all depends on what your doing. if your training in an external style like shaolin for the most part, MOST of the forms you dont need to coordinate the breath with each technique like in taiji or other nei jia.

but, sometimes you do. so then it depends. also if your doing iron body or something and if you have practice swallowing the breath and such techniques you need to breathe into the lungs first

basically ill break it down like this. if yoru doing standing post or qi gong, you just need to breath slowly and deeply, but you dont have to use yoru full lung c apaity, ie filling the lungs which lifts the shoulders, just slow and deep

if your doing drills you have to also breathe slow and deep

forms, vary, like i said above, usually in shaolin or other external styles you breathe through abdomen slow and deep, but obviously never hold breath
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Read this, I think I explained the mechanics of breathing in this:

Then we'll talk.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Sorry for not having found this article earlier, and on my own...

Well, I guess since "abdominal breathing/deep breathing doesn't mean more air" it is normal that sometimes I just have to get a deep breath inbetween, lifting also my shoulders?

I think I have understood the mechanics of breathing, as you explained them really good. The stretchyfeeling seems to be quote normal then and should come from a undertrained diaphragm...

This site is priceless! Thanks!

PS.: Sorry for the late anser!

Comment

Well, think about what lifting your shoulders might do. Based upon how the muscles interact, probably very little. Pulling them back might allow you to raise the rib cage some more, which will allow more lung expansion, but I'm not sure anyone has really studied that.

The stretchy feeling thingie that you get in the middle of your chest might be from the stretching of of the pectoral muscles: they attach to the chest in that area.

No problem not finding stuff here. I get lost all the time. Just too much shit....
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Working...
          X