Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't stretch more than once a day?

Hi All

I've, read in a few places, the advise that one shouldn't stretch more than once a day.

I personally stretch every opportunity i get and have found it hasn't debilitated me in anyway, at least none that i'm directly aware of. I'm pretty flexible and aside from a torn groin ligament from pushing myself too hard on one occasion, i've not hurt myself.

Any idea on what this piece of advise is based on? Is there any truth to it? Could i be more flexible by stretching less often?

Thanks in advance.
    renato

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Originally posted by renato View Post
    Hi All

I've, read in a few places, the advise that one shouldn't stretch more than once a day.

I personally stretch every opportunity i get and have found it hasn't debilitated me in anyway, at least none that i'm directly aware of. I'm pretty flexible and aside from a torn groin ligament from pushing myself too hard on one occasion, i've not hurt myself.

Any idea on what this piece of advise is based on? Is there any truth to it? Could i be more flexible by stretching less often?

Thanks in advance.
    renato
    The law of diminishing always returns. I you feel like youve gotten a good stretch, leave it at that. No need to overdo it. People tend to push themselves hard to overcome the time barrier, but you can only push so hard, until you hurt yourself. Stretching and flexibility take time. no need to rush or push it.Over-doing-it can always be a danger and should be met with precaution. Your body will tell you when to stop. And if you go past that point you can hurt yourself. Stretching is a very good thing for your body, but overstretching can be very bad.

Some athletes may push themselves to that point, but at this stage, it is ideal to have a more developed body awareness. Most well developed athletes can push themselves past normal human boundaries, and have a good sense down to a pinpoint, of exactly how far they can go.

The good thing about surviving an injury in good shape, is that you learn from it.

Anyway, we have doc. Who could give you a much better general answer about tendons and torn groin ligament, that sounds painful btw.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I think u have a set up a goal 4 stretching, maybe without attachement to sensations of pleasure and pain. Mine is end every suffering of animals, humans, ghosts, war beings and so and to become a buda

I think it is quite unfortunate few people have really the motivation to b buda

And even to end every suffering does not seem to b widespread

Comment

stretching more then once a day is fine. i do dynamic and static stretching but usually the dynamic stretching comes before anytype of workout.

why you stertch and how depends on what your doing. for instance if your going to the gym a mixture of static and dynamic is good, but you should also stretch after the workout.

with gung fu i do dynamic first then static after because the muscles are tight.

over the course of a day, again depending on who you are and your lifestyle stretching more then once isnt a problem. it clears away scar tissuse, increases bloodflow and warms the muscles.

what you said about pushing yourself i dunno what to say other then take it easy, like many things athletic stretching is a marathon not a sprint

and its always good to roll out the joints before any type of stretch
        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Originally posted by renato View Post
          Hi All

its really an uninformed statement, because first of all there are different types of stretching, and each type requires a different training.

dynamic stretching for example is most effective when performed two or more times per day. once in the early morning, and once in the afternoon before a workout.

other types of stretching like isometrics are not even done every day of the week.

so, a blanket statement like "its not good to stretch more than once a day" is not from anyone with knowledge of stretching science, or even the different types of stretching there are.

Comment

Technically, the above is all good advice. But as long as you don't over do it and hurt yourself, it shouldn't make any difference. You're "stretching" different ligaments and tendons all the time, with various types and degrees of exercise (walking, stairs, sitting, etc). Things are constantly in motion; what is important is how far you make those motions. You can overstretch various leg tendons and ligaments by losing your balance while walking down stairs just as easily as you can after a gong fu workout. So, your question is a good one, but you really need to quantify it. To what degree are you stretching?

Whenever I'm on an escalator, I always try to stretch out both legs; easy to do on the stairs. While shopping with the boss, I'll try to get some stretching in with stance wor. But I'm not doing a serious stretching work out; just occasionally extending and flexing things within limits.

So, as LFJ points out, it all depends upon what you're doing. But the good rule of thumb is, if it doesn't hurt, it won't hurt.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

I am pretty sure this video is of training at the Shaolin Temple.. I could be wrong and it might be Dafawang, But i think I'm right. Video isn't too old from what I can tell..

-----------------------------
              Huge Thing For Movies --- Game Of Thrones Seasons 1-2 DVD,Creat excellence for your life

Comment

Working...
              X