First World Traditional Wushu Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First World Traditional Wushu Festival

The First World Traditional Wushu Featival will be held in Zhengzhou from Oct. 16 untill Oct. 20,2004. I hear that the Wushu Festival Office has invited 50 Wushu Organizations in the world and over 2000 people will take part in the event.

Curious that they are calling this "traditional". The events we wrote about over the past two years concerning the "loss of traditional gong fu" make this rather interesting. Should be an worthwhile event to watch if you can make it.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

I was actually going to ask about this, good timing Doc. I will be in Zhengzhou at this time and I was hoping to watch some of the events, do you know if it's just a case of turn up and you can get in or is there tickets?

Will you be checking it out too and reporting back here?

Ross

Comment

I'm not going. I'm tied up here in Thailand, putting together a new corporation, for your training pleasure....

Just show up, and enjoy. You can take care of all the admission arrangements, whatever they may be, when you get there.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Cheers Doc.

R

Comment

Hey, Im here in Deng Feng now. I used Russbo to get alot of the information about what school to go to and so on. Im now training with Shi Xing Ming at his school Chan Wu Si. Ive only been here for less than 2 months but i will be participating in the festival doing a Pudao form along with 2 others from the school. Is anyone else from the forums planning on being at the fevtival ?

Im nervous as hell about it as i come from a jeet kune do and thai back ground and the only crowd situations im used to are kickboxing matches. The whole form thing is certainly new to me but im really looking foward to it all !

Comment

Don't sweat it just take it for what you get . Enjoy your experience. This is a rare occassion and if can't be enjoyed is worth little. There are folks ( including Docs shaolin disciple bro) who will be attending there. You can find out more on the shaolin boards at www.kfm.com

Currently in Guangzhou, but may even turn up myself.......strictly spectatoring, but I hear it's tradition for forum members to do group photos at these things, so I'll let you know and we'll do a pic.

Anyone else comming???

Comment

Hey Eyebrows - you wanna check that link you posted? LOL.

Comment

I will not be going, but whoever goes, take pics like there is no tomorrow, and vids too.

God save you if you take no pics...
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Yah im bringing my digital video camera and digital camera for sure. I bought a video camera in Zhengzhou to film my forms so i dont forget them and so on. And film my Sifu when his not looking mu hahahaha !

I do alot of video editing so i brought my laptop with me to Deng feng to edit togather all the footage i take.

Comment

Chris, care to share...

There are some video's around www.jiayo.com had some. A butt load of pics taboot.
                    practice wu de

Comment

Sorry about that i forgot to post pics/vids, im off to Shanghai for a week then i hit Thailand for a bit to get out of the cold in Deng Feng for a couple months before i come back. And i should have a decent connection there so ill do it then, i may be able to post a couple pics sooner tho.

The competition was cool, it was mainly all wushu. I did a pudao form and i was the only person who didnt do a butterfly twist and land in the splits lol. There were some nice traditional forms done tho, such as one fairly famous monk who has a few vcds of him self teaching forms ( damn it i forget his name i have his qi xing quan vcd) ill remember later.
                      It was more of a festival than a competition as every night was filled with random shaolin events and shows. I had fun all in all was just slightly disapointed in all the wushu bit its what i expected.

But hell i got a medal and it was worth the experience since all the foreingers in Deng Feng had to pay next to nothing to enter it, sleep in a hotel and eat for free. I managed to only pay like 80 quai for 4 nights of fun and good food hehe.

Well if you wanna know any more ask me, but i gotta hit the sack now as my training brother here at the school is bitching at me to turn off the laptop lol

Comment

Cool, sounds like fun...

I sort of expected the twists...lol
                        practice wu de

Comment

So then...where's all the goods?
                          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Patients is a virtue (but I am anxious to see some footage too).

www.jiayo.com has some clips there too... not a lot, but they are peppered throughout the photo library.
                            practice wu de

Comment

Ok i hope this works out i selected 9 pics to upload, they are just some random ones i had on hand on my laptop. I have videos of some forms and so on but im not on a good enough connection to upload vids, i will be later.

Anyways, out of the pics i uploaded they are more from the evenst surrounding the competition it self. Alot of them are from when a convoy of about 100 busses filled with competitors hit the road to go to Shaolin Si. On both sides of the road from Deng Feng to Shaolin Si there were about 40 thousand students demoing gong fu for their schools, Just about every school in Deng Feng was represented. Tagou did there own demo in the city of Deng Feng at the giant pagoada with the huge set of steps leading up to it. Their demo was verrrry nice , mainly wushu and crazy acrobatics but in the background, off the center stage they had hundreds of students doing forms. They also did some very nice skits that all told a story retaining to shaolin gong fu, there were very cool with lots of nice gong fu skills being shown. I have there full demo taped and on vcd so i could try and hook someone up with that if they are interested in posting somthing like that.

Anyways onto the pics, One is of me looking out from the bus to a bunch of children who welcomed the bus convoy. Then there are just some pics of a lion dancing Demo with 3 lions fighting each other for bait on top of stools made for climbing. The demos for each school were all slighty differnt. Epo did a huge war scene of shaolin warriors fighting in an ammazingly large battle with cannons and everything, it was very cool i have one pic of part of the battle uploaded.

One other pic is from the newly constructed part of Shaolin Si, it was nice to see as when i first came here a few months ago the construction was not complete, its basically just new gates and big concrete walk way down to shaolin si and new toilets and all the upgrades they had to do to become a world heritage site. Looks nice , even here they had hundreds of kids siting down and meditating with the ami tou fu knocker things you hit to concentrate your thoughts when meditating (forget the name of them sorry) anyways after 20 mins of hundreds of people bonking a piece of wood it gives you a headache and stops to be cool lol

Also there is a pic of myself and fellow students with Shi De Qian my shifus uncle, this is outside the first nights opening ceremony this was just a huge ceremony with famous chinese singers mixed in with fire works and crap. It was cool in the begining as all the compeitors had to walk out infront of the stadium representing your countries flag (also have a video of this) But somthing weird that went down is that any students from Deng Feng all represented Denmark lol, i guess Denmark needed some help so what ever. All the Deng Feng students walked proudly holding the Denmark flag regardless of my canadian nationality in which the Canadians walked holding the canadian flag just before me lol ( everyone walked in alphabetical order) After that was done it was just watching the lame talks about how happy China is to have the foreign money , ahh i mean people in Zheng Zhou.

There is a pic of my and some students and our master outside shaolin si gates, same old stuff at shaolin just lots of people bugging you to buy ****, i just chilled outside i didnt try to go in the temple as ive seen it to many times and all the other foreigners who came just for the competition were packed inside.

There is also a pic of me in my super sexy orange shaolin suit geting a medal. After the full day of judging forms they lined up the first places, second places and thirds and you walked out in order of your score. they gave out FAR to many 3rd place medals to make all the foreigners feel happy and come back to spend some more cash. Anyways regardless of this i felt ok since i only have done shaolin for 2 months at this point and there were only 3 people ahead of me and like 30 behind me for the third place line up.

there were loads of other festivities as well such as a play titled Shaolin gone in the wind lol, it was actualy kind of cool, a ballet/gong fu love story.

All in all if i were to of traveled from my country just for this competition and payed mad money for eating everynight and all the festivites ( you had to buy tickets to them unless you were from deng feng) and saw only wushu (well 90 percent) and every person out there get a medal i would have been mad. I came an hour trip away from deng feng payed 20 canadian bucks to eat/sleep and go to ALL the events and compete and meet some people who didnt speak only chinese , i was happy as i payed next to nothing. all in all it was a fun time but i hope the next one is a little better regarding traditional gong fu. And get some more of the administration crap sorted out as alot of people had spelling problems and problems with not knowing when to compete (aparently i was to compete in 2 forms i dont know and once in a female pudao category lol). Anyways the post is long and filled with spelling errors and i got class in an hour so im going to jet. I hope the pictures got uploaded if not ill try and edit it and fix it. And in a week or 2 ill try and get my movies online

peace
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Chris Crosbie; 12-17-2004, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X