No announcement yet.

What is "reverse breathing"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As loathe as I am to in any way reinforce an argument made by "happeh" the gongfu "genius",

I have personally experienced increased efficiency in power generation by utilising abdominal breathing (both normal and reverse) and utilizing the lower diaphragm of the pelvic floor as well as the sole of the foot for power generation in striking. (although i've also been doing alot more work recently with power generation via manipulation of foot positioning on the ground, IE transferring pressure from the ball of the foot to the medial or lateral edge of the foot where appropriate and manipulating the toes to acccentuate this pressure transfer)

Brother Fa, a great sifu once wrote that the primary difference between gongfu sparring and "natural fighting" (which the author used to refer to kickboxing and current MMA) was the abililty to maintain focus, and not lose oneself to the epinepherine so to speak. To be able to retain these practices in a hostile and fast moving environment. I do think its possible, and I know i've had some partial success with using qigong methods in threatening situations, and while its much easier to give in to the adrenalun and the rage and just swing, one of the goals of many martial arts practices in my opinion is to remain emotionally unattached even in life and death situations, thus being able to think clearly and act appropriately.

Abdominal breathing is real. Its effective, and in my opinion its a crucial practice in most meditative or martially meditative paths. It does not make a bad or inferior person though to use only the large muscles of the chest as happeh would like you to beleive.

And for gods sake, no your not sucking the air into and out of your belly button. Its an expression. Your not blowing bubbles into your bone when you're doing bone breathing either. Here, there is physical respiration as well, but the term breath in this context is more equatable to a pulsation of qi in the body, in an inward and outward movement.

This is a legitamate topic but some people are a wee bit insane here.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I agree with you completely. I still practice my qigong, meditation, and taiji right along with my lifting, HIIT, sparring, bagwork, etc. I'm just trying to point how the ignorant types will get a hold of this info and twist it to their imagination's whim.
      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Exactly. Things taken out of context and blown out of proportion only lead to further reinforce the west's notion that all this is quackery.

I think much of it is a misunderstanding of the translation of things. I've seen even well educated scholors on chinese totally miss the point when they attempted to interpret texts like the chuang tzu. A chinese character that refers to blood does not mean the same thing as the anatomical definition of the word blood. Theres too much poetry and symbolism in the language to directly translate classical terms, especially when it comes to energy work, without understanding that the terms are symbols and nothing more, not nessecarily corresponding to a subjective reality, but correspending instead to a metaphorical description of the relationships between aspects of the human being.

The most important aspect for me becomes seeing the heart at the center of things, not so much the action but the purpose of that action, thus alligning all that you do with the same intention, and not just blindly practicing things because guru said so.

Comment

Anyone who has gotten uptight about anything in this thread would do well to check out Uwes preferred translation of Xin Xin Ming in the philosophy section.

Happeh that means you.

"Words? ha!, the Way is beyond words, for in it there is no yesterday, no tomorrow, no today."

Comment

Originally posted by daodejing View Post
            Anyone who has gotten uptight about anything in this thread would do well to check out Uwes preferred translation of Xin Xin Ming in the philosophy section.

Happeh that means you.
            If you have something to say to me, why can't you say it in your own words?

Comment

Happeh, bring back your old persona.

I miss that baby avatar of yours. Absolutely classic.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

I think that the problem many people have with a concept such as "abdominal breathing" or "reverse breathing" i that they don't fully appreciate what it is that happens as we breathe.

The primitive, sensory-based information that science equips us with in regards to such things makes us very stubborn. More is happening when you breathe than simple, boils-down-to-numbers volumetrics. But it takes a more open mind than most have to appreciate this.

Comment

Breathing

Reverse Breathing is a breathing technique associated with yoga and qigong. It consists of expanding the abdomen while breathing out through the nose, and then compressing it while inhaling via the mouth -- the opposite of what an abdomen would do during natural, instinctive breathing. Via this process there can be paid especially close attention to the act of breathing. A pure, inner type of thought focus may thus arise.
                  ------------------------------
                  Jenilopaz

Search Engine Marketing

Comment

Originally posted by jenilopaz View Post
                    Reverse Breathing is a breathing technique associated with yoga and qigong. It consists of expanding the abdomen while breathing out through the nose, and then compressing it while inhaling via the mouth -- the opposite of what an abdomen would do during natural, instinctive breathing. Via this process there can be paid especially close attention to the act of breathing. A pure, inner type of thought focus may thus arise.
                    Jenilopaz

Search Engine Marketing
                    ALERT! ALERT! More regurgitation of educational material!

No one ever speaks in a person way about their own person experience.

Except for me of course. You can read my large explanation complete with demonstration pictures written in my personal style and based on my own personal experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbokohutu View Post
                      EDIT: Oh hell Doc. Did you disable images in the posts? They are showing up as links instead of pictures. They used to show up as pictures before I was banned.

U didn't stop pictures in threads to kill my threads did you? I suppose I should go back and look at them, but the thought they may be ruined by showing link throughs instead of the pictures is making me sick. I don't even want to read and edit what I wrote below.

Sorry people. What is written below will not have the impact it would if you could see the pictures as you read. Having to click back and forth to the pictures will break the flow of your concentration and ruin the experience. Oh well. What can I do?

I am gonna go watch TV. Maybe later I will feel like editing the stuff to make sure it is all correct.

I see a lot of views of this thread. Many more than can be accounted for by the people responding. I think there are many people who are quietly reading this discussion, without having to write down hate or gay jokes.

I want to reward those quiet people who want to learn, by giving them a gift that directly applies to this thread.
                      ----------------------

In physics there is a concept called the Center Of Action or something like that. The Center of Action is just what you think it is. If some object is moving, where is the center of that moving object? Finding the Center of Action works just like you think it does. In a simple object, the Center of Object will be the physical center of the object. The picture below shows a simple stick.

The Center of Action of this simple stick, which looks like a two dimensional box, is right in the center of the stick.

The next picture shows a three dimensional box.

Because the box is a simple three dimensional square, the Center of Action would be the physcial center of the box.

The problems start when you try to figure out the Center of Action for a complicated object like a tree.

The tree has branches sticking out in all different directions. Finding the Center of Action can be difficult for a complex object. This is where physics comes in. The laws and equations of Physics can be used to mathematically determine where the Center of Action of a complex object is.

This discussion is about Reverse Breathing in a Human Being. Here is a picture of a human being.

Breathing involves the lungs of a human being. This column is about how a human being breathes. Doc told us about all the muscles used in breathing the way it is taught in medical school. The muscles surrounding the lungs make the lungs move so the person breathes.

If the lungs are moving, that means they are acting. If the lungs are acting, then they must have a Center of Action. The lungs of the human being are is a complex shaped object, which requires the laws of physics to find the Center Of Action. We will take a simple approach instead.

The picture below shows skeleton of a human being, with the internal organs inside of it. The position of the lungs within the skeleton are shown in the next picture.

The next picture shows a front and side view of the human being, with a box around the area where the lungs are.

Because the pictures show simple rectangles, it is easy to figure out where the Center Of Action is. The Center of Action is the physical center of each box.

But neither the human body nor the lungs are flat rectangles. Here is a picture revealing the three dimensional nature of the human body.

The three dimensional area enclosed by the lungs is then outlined.

The box surrounding the lung is like the example box.

Which means that the Center of Action of the lungs, would be right in the center of the box containing the lungs.

OK. This is where we want to stop. This thread is about Normal Breathing and Reverse Breathing. The concept of the Center of Action of a moving object was introduced. Then it was pointed out how the lungs move when they breathe, so they must have a Center of Action. For simplicity, a simple box was drawn around the lungs, and that box represented both lungs.

Since the Center of Action of a simple box is it's physical center, then the Center of Action of the lungs, for a human being breathing with normal breathing as described by Doc and the medical community, would be in the physical center of the box representing the lungs.

In every class there is a genius. Maybe two. I was the genius in my classes. The geniuses always get left out, usually because the teacher is not as smart as they are. Some genius reading what I have written, probably knows all of this and can write it better than me. But just in case the geniuses reading this thread have missed something, I want to give them a present also.

Here is the picture of the skeleton with the position of the lungs outlined by a simple rectangle.

Since that is a simple rectangle, the Center Of Action of the lungs in this front view picture would be in the physical center of the box.

What is located in the human body where that blue dot showing the Center Of Action of the Lungs is? It is hard to see because it is in the center of course, but the heart is where the blue dot is.

Now you geniuses know why the heart is where it is. The heart is located in the Center Of Action of the Lungs. Why would it be there? Because the lungs help the heart of course.

When a human being is exerting themselves, they need extra oxygen and blood. The heart can only do so much. But because the heart is at the Center Of Action of the lungs, when the lungs breath, their action assists or helps the heart.

That is why when you are exerting yourself, you breathe heavily. The action of the lungs adds it's force to the pumping of the heart, so the heart can pump stronger. The physical forces of the pumping lungs, could be thought of as turbocharging the action of the heart.
                      ------------

You know? I should get a Nobel Prize for that.
                      My mind is always blown by the contortions people will go through to stop me from teaching people reality.

Banning me from forums. Moving my posts around in forums. Deleting my posts in forums. Rewriting my posts in forums. People signing up to new accounts, then talking like me to fool the admins into thinking that person is me, then saying things that get me banned. People following me to forums and posting links to all kinds of old stuff about me within 24 hours of me signing up at the new forums, trying to get the new people to fear me and ban me before I even get a chance to speak.

Some people have gone so far as to disable images on their entire forums, just to interfere with my articles which always include illustrative pictures.

It boggles my mind that people claiming to be adults would act that way. That is school kid stuff.

Comment

• Uh, let me remind you.

I don't do that here.

But if you're offensive, you can go to HELL.

OH, and if images do not show up in a forum area, it's my fault. I need to adjust the settings. This software is complicated, and the forum is huge. Let me know and I'll fix it.
                        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

• Originally posted by doc View Post
                          Uh, let me remind you.

I don't do that here.

But if you're offensive, you can go to HELL.

OH, and if images do not show up in a forum area, it's my fault. I need to adjust the settings. This software is complicated, and the forum is huge. Let me know and I'll fix it.
                          HAHAHAHAHAHA. Are you insane?

The post that you are responding too has 20 hyperlinked images instead of those images showing up.

Are you on drugs or are you blind that you did not see that while you were reading the new material at the bottom of the post?

And also, you said you would fix picture linkages months ago. Never happened then. I doubt it will happen now.

I don't care one way or the other. I am just pointing out how your word is no good because you say you will do things you don't, or you are getting senile and you just plain forget what you say or read.

Comment

• when i want to post pictures and they don't show up in a thread, i typically just send doc a quick pm and it's fixed within a day or so. if he's busy, maybe i'll send him a reminder. it's no bid deal.
                            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

• The thread should now do picture links. I had fixed it.
                              I'm not sure, with the way the software works, if OLD posts will show the images though.

You will probably have to either repost the post, or, maybe I can "reset" that post.

I'll try it. If I can find it.

russbo.com

Comment

• The quality and quantity of work produced here are absolutely informative. Thanks for sharing. 메이저사이트추천

Comment

Working...
                                X